Thanks Thanks:  360
Likes Likes:  469
Dislikes Dislikes:  13
Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4787959697
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 2410

Thread: OPV Replacement

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deploy a Company minus, by two Landing craft from hull side gantries and a company plus from quay wall with relevant vehicles to accompany. Do all of the rest, including Flagship duties. The rig for refueling at sea and associated training is substantial. Of course it can be done , initially with our own vessels, and then on a controlled trial . The New Zealand Navy don't see Canterbury being used outside of urgent humanitarian incidents, police actions, Piracy control, and normal Fleet support. We also need to consider and add the capability to conduct sea bed searches , deploy ROV types, and recover items as required in a recent helicopter accident. The Navy is the best agency as it is always 24/7.
    Last edited by ancientmariner; 16th March 2017 at 08:59.

2. Likes DeV liked this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    too small I am thinking, but headed in the right direction somewhere between this and the JSS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylion View Post
    too small I am thinking, but headed in the right direction somewhere between this and the JSS
    XO131L can carry a Coy Group (personnel and kit), much smaller crew required and not too big

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    XO131L can carry a Coy Group (personnel and kit), much smaller crew required and not too big
    Yeah. But I like the AOR function for joint operations and as something that Ireland can contribute. So I'd add 10 Gg DW for liquids and dry stores and a IIb hospital.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylion View Post
    Yeah. But I like the AOR function for joint operations and as something that Ireland can contribute. So I'd add 10 Gg DW for liquids and dry stores and a IIb hospital.
    And the crew of 3 current vessels

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    And the crew of 3 current vessels
    How is it that the RFA can run a 38,000 tonne AOR with a crew of 60-odd, but you think an Irish vessel of a third of the size would need a crew of 180?

Have Irish sailors got one fewer hands than British sailors?

8. Thanks Graylion thanked for this post
    Likes Graylion, Sparky42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's the crew of the JSS

Now that could be including flight crews, extra berths etc in fairness

Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Undoubtedly - which is why clever people split the crewing requirements into two parts - the people needed to run the ship and do the RASing etc... and the people that can come from other services or countries that can do the add-ons: there being no operational reason why you couldn't have an Irish NS crew running the AOR with an embarked security force from the Irish Army, a Swedish field hospital running the, err.. hospital, and a German Navy helicopter and crew and tech detachment doing the flying.

11. Thanks Graylion thanked for this post
    Likes Graylion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    P61 live on AIS (Marine Traffic) coming thru the English Channel, exceeding her designed top speed of 23 Knts......

Attachment 8482

P61 EC.jpg
    Last edited by A/TEL; 17th September 2017 at 00:06.

13. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmití, hptmurphy liked this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like

Ships speed

Quote Originally Posted by A/TEL View Post
    P61 live on AIS (Marine Traffic) coming thru the English Channel, exceeding her designed top speed of 23 Knts......

Attachment 8482

P61 EC.jpg
    Designed speed is at less than 100% BHP output. Manufacturers will allow up to 105% output for a limited burst speed, for say 4/6hrs without negating guarantees. I suspect at the time there might have been a tidal stream with a westerly component plus positive weather conditions. When exceeding horsepower various shut downs have to be deactivated to allow higher temperatures.

15. Thanks DeV, sofa, morpheus thanked for this post

Thread Information