• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No mention of flight deck or UAVs.

Comment

• Originally posted by easyrider View Post
      No mention of flight deck or UAVs.
      Remove containers on aft deck, and you have an open deck area suitable for launching small UAVs.
      There was never an intention for the OPV to have a flight deck capable of landing anything other than a UAV.
      However, as we do not have any maritime UAVs, why would it be mentioned.
      Any chance you could discuss what is on the ship, rather than what is not? The Propulsion setup is one that particularly interests me, given how, as was said by others elsewhere, the P50s are quite heavy on fuel. Also, they were quite unsteady at slow speeds, the new design seems to address both, and I think this is the first naval vessel fitted with both Fin Stabilisers and anti Heel tanks.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• A flight deck for UAVs was in the OPV specs. Most of the other significant features of the design get a mention in the article, but not that.

Just for comparison, the South African Navy are looking for an 80 metre OPV, and they've narrowed the choice down to three candidates. According to the magazine 'Naval Forces', they are

the Fassmer design, as operated by the Chilean Navy
        the Lurssen design, as recently supplied to the Brunei Navy,
        and
        a Navantia design, presumably based based on the Spanish Navy's BAM, or the OPV built for the Venezuelan Navy

...all of which have helicopter decks, BTW

Comment

• Good for them.

Comment

• those countries are identifying a requirement for maritime launched manually piloted aircraft

our defence forces have not identified that requirement - not since the failed attempt to integrate the aercorps and navy on one vessel in the 80s/90s

a proper forward looking decision would be to create an atomic naval air wing which would be responsible for flying fixed wing maritime, rotary assets and UAVs with a ship launch capability for the rotary and UAV aircraft.

let the aer corps look after inshore SAR, medivac, casevac, troop transport, long range strategic transport, COIN etc

that'll never happen though... would be nice if it did.
            Last edited by morpheus; 6 October 2011, 15:25.
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• A crew of 44 plus 10 trainees , only 2 X 4 berth trainee cabins . Looks like two trainees are sleeping rough or hot bunking .
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Cadets are considered trainees too. They get a double cabin next to the Senior rates.

Comment

• Let them sleep rough .
                  Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Steering flat is too good for em...

Comment

• Does the proposed Fire Control system match/surpass that on the Eithne.

Comment

• Completely surpasses. The OTO is fired completely remotely from an operators station on the Bridge. The EOS will I understand be an improved version of those already in use aboard Vessels currently in service, which I think are all Radamec 1500. Radamec are now Ultra Electronics, and their most popular model at the moment is the 2500

Comment

• two things I found interesting were the mention of the option on a third ship, and also the mention of the 20mm secondary armament.
                          The 3rd ship option seemed to be dropped from the last batch of press releases so its positive to see it being mentioned again.
                          Wasn't there a delay with the 20mm's on Roisin and Niamh? until the stock of Rheinmettals were bought from the Germans?

Comment

• 20mm were never intended to be fitted on the P50s,it's secondary armament, like the peacocks, being 2 HMGs, but when the batch became available, they were retrofitted, and the guns were also fitted to Peacocks, as well as every other Naval vessel, except Eithne, which already used a similar gun.
                            I presume these ships will be fitted with guns removed from a retiring vessel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              Good for them.
                              there must be an element of future-proofing these vessels though - these vessels will still be in service in 2045 - does anyone believe that by 2045 the INS won't want/need the capability to conduct even the most basic heli ops from its vessels?

if steel is cheap and air is free, whats the problem with fitting a decent size flight deck that provides a significant capability, but would cost nothing?

Comment

• GF thanks for the info re the FCS,should be an awesome set up given that I recall an officer of the NS is on record somewhere stating that the system on the Eithne is capable of detecting and engaging hostiles at either end of the Irish Sea whilst on station in Dublin Bay.
                                The 76mm piece should considerably enhance this capability.

Comment

Working...
                                X