Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend of mine did a Masters on wave cycles off the west coast of Ireland (Mayo to be precise). The results were interesting - even in the international literature, the area is recognised as long having the highest wave energy on the planet. And there is plenty of empirical evidence that it is getting worse, mainly due to the changing structure of storm cycles in the Atlantic.

And the natives are trying to insist that someone builds a gas rig out there in 350m of water ...

Comment

• When the Canadian Sub had trouble in 2004 off the northwest coast the Roisin was damaged by the weather preventing her from doing her job. There is talk of more sea area coming under Ireland's control and this I presume will mean more operations further offshore so running in ahead of bad weather won't be as easy. The NZ ship is large as is the Danish Absalon class. I hope the Navy have the sense to get somthing that is big enough to do the job further offshore.

Comment

• Originally posted by ocean
        When the Canadian Sub had trouble in 2004 off the northwest coast the Roisin was damaged by the weather preventing her from doing her job. There is talk of more sea area coming under Ireland's control and this I presume will mean more operations further offshore so running in ahead of bad weather won't be as easy. The NZ ship is large as is the Danish Absalon class. I hope the Navy have the sense to get somthing that is big enough to do the job further offshore.
        Its not the sense of the Naval Service I'd be concerned about but what the government will let them have.

Comment

• Its hard to know who makes the decisions - will it be the Government or the Department of the Defence - my sense is it will be the Department of Defence!

Comment

• The government only rubberstamps the decisions of the department of defence.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Goldie I agree -capital items like Naval ships are as much tools for other goverment departments, justice, marine, environment, foreign affairs, enterprise and I think this was a Government decision in the White Paper - to have one department decide on the final profile seems to run contrary to the aspiration for joined up governance. Is their some inter departmental decision making framework that can consider what new state (Naval) ships should look like or is the decision made completly in Defence - if it is the latter then I don't think the taxpayer is neccessarily getting value for money?

Comment

• The replacement programme for Naval Service vessels is at present under consideration. As a general guide, the objective would be to replace vessels after approximately 30 years service. On this basis, two vessels would be due for replacement in the period 2007 to 2009.
                From the ministers speech in the Dail last week.

Has Willie got his maths wrong there or do they plan to keep one of the p20 class in service past the 30 year mark? I thought Aisling was a 1979 build? Are they planning to replace only 2 of the 3 ships?

Comment

• If the Irish area of jurisdiction is going to nearly double and some of the states waters will be over six hundred miles off the coast the defence forces really can't afford to hang around with the replacement program. It is in times of economic growth that governments invest in major capital programmes like ship replacement -
                  Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

• Two Irish Navy officers over in the Netherlands at present viewing the Kiwi ship.

Comment

• DML version of OPV(H)

The DML version of OPV(H) which they put in to bid against the VT Stretched River Class, but weren't successful. DML is the parent company that own Appledore Shipbuilders, so if the Blue Green ship doesn't go ahead, a stretched LPV (like this) is supposed to be the option.

Apologies for the size of the pic.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Proposed FCS for new ship

The Brunei Navy Corvette (built by Yarrows, UK) fitted with 76mm OTO Melara & Radamec 2500 FCS, which is supposedly what the NS are looking to acquire for the new ship. Also photos of the 2500 Optronic Head and the 1500 Optronic Head (fitted on the LPV's & CPV's).
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Dogwatch; 27 June 2006, 16:02.

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy
                          everybody remembers the hole in the flare on the Roisin..who remembers the huge dent in the gun deck flare on the Aisling...about '86 I think...
                          Hp - dead right and thats the problem - somtimes the navy can't do their job now because their ships are too small - we are about to get territory which is almost 10 times the size of the state and already from time to time the navy can't do their business in the waters we already we own - where are we going unless the navy get off their arse and build a decent ship - of at leats 130 metres!
                          Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

• Dutch Shipyard OPV

The Schelde Shipping OPV that was built for South Africa

Comment

• The thing you have to consider if the navy gets these bigger ships is where are they going to berth them and who is going to maintain them presuming they are going to have small crews?? I think a big ship is highly unlikely because it will require a new and/or greatly reformed dockyard..

Comment

• Read back. Especially the bit about the west wall of the basin now belonging to the NS?. WHen the Irish Steel cleanup is complete you'll have a deeper longer section of quay with plenty of space alongside.

Comment

Working...
                                X