Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hence the Title of the thread from the beginning.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Fishery protection Tender vessel?
      Meh.

Comment

Going to the whole political arguement, while in an irish context defence has never been a vote winner, its not a vote looser either. The PC-9 cost 60 million euros for example and I'm pretty sure 99% of the general public has no idea what they do or why they were bought. Given the economy is doing well, we're becoming richer its possible to speculate that this vessel would be more than affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
          The design differences between both vessels are minimal, but you must remember that the Current L.E. Eithne looks nothing like the original proposals. Likewise,the P50 class look very little like their base design,the Canadian Guardian class "Vigilant".
          The Vigilant is the first vessel built using the "Guardian Class" Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV). You can see what Goldie means.
          Attached Files

Comment

Don't forget the future New Zealand OPV is based on Roisin's design.

And Roisin was originally supposed to look like this.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
              Just remembered something..alll the current ships were designed and register as fishery protection vessels technically making them commercial vessels and not warships..thus making them cheaper to build....

what will the satus of any new vessel be....given the costs associated with building dedicated warships

Quote from Cdr Mellett.
              "Steel is cheap and air is free".
              Size is not a factor.

Comment

Man that nis one nice looking ship. IF it comes on line it looks like it would seriously give the NS a significant boost in there capabilities, wheter it comes on line is a differnt story.
                Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Steel is cheap and air is free".
                  Goldie, I discussed this with Cdr Mellet 5 years ago, and he used the exact same quote to me then. The NS have been pushing for this vessel since before then, and they are making very little headway. Even the 3 for 3 replacement is very much not settled yet. This is an issue that is still a long way for resolution.

Comment

Assuming its as Multi-Role as it infers does mean there could possible if ever required be equipped if operating in an area were Fluid/Conflict Situation could endanger the ship could we see the possiblity of other armanents being fitted to vessel such as Shorads (SAMS) or someform of Surface to surface to surface missile (SSM) or is this type of weapons fits even possible be fitted on this type of vessel?? i.e Meko 200 MRV

Nollaig Shona Diobh Agus Bliain Shona Nua go Leír
                    British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
                    Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

I assume it will be armed appropriate to the risk. I notice RN vessels are being retrofitted with Anti Small Boat Miniguns.
                      SSMs or SAMs are no longer considered an appropriate stand alone defence for a single vessel, given current threats.

Comment

Hmmm interesting just after getting the An Cosantoir in question interesting article be the Cmdr Mellet just toward the end it does note teh other main competing vessels in such a class i.e MultiRole Vessel such as the Danish Absalon Class and New Zealand Tenix MRV Curiously was browseing internet yesterday and came across other Defence Forum which was disscussing the NZ goverment had ceased work on there MRV because of Health & Safety fears about the vessels of fears thats it was not water tight and could be prone to leakage has anyone else came acroos such info before or wat?? Personnally I would love to see the Absalon class in service it would offer a degree of interoperability within any proposed EU/UN Deployable force i.e withe The Danes etc... But it looks like the Bloom & Bloss (Or Whatever its called) is favoured by the Navy and does like a great vessel and would the Navy And Rest Of The Key Partners In The Defence Forces A tremandous Boost!! Thats will never hurt in the P.R department aswell..

Nollaig Shona Diobh Agus Bliain Shona Nua Diobh go Leír
                        British officer: You're seven minutes late, Mr. Collins.
                        Michael Collins: You've kept us waiting 700 years. You can have your seven minutes.

[As the British flag comes down]

Michael Collins: So that's what all the bother was about.

Comment

Hi all from NZ just thought i would give a update on the RNZN MRV.Work was halted temporarily while some issues were sorted launch date is still expected around may/june 06,pictures available in oct05 issue nz navy news.Other vessels in project protecter are progressing on target with all seven vessels to come online within next 12-18 months.

Comment

An NS officer wrote a very interesting article on this subject in December's An Cosantóir...
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Yeah Cdr Mellet, Its been mentioned in another thread

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi
                                Hi all from NZ just thought i would give a update on the RNZN MRV.Work was halted temporarily while some issues were sorted launch date is still expected around may/june 06,pictures available in oct05 issue nz navy news.Other vessels in project protecter are progressing on target with all seven vessels to come online within next 12-18 months.
                                NZ Navy News Oct 05

Comment

Working...
                                X