This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Danish OPV

Photos of the new Danish OPV, smaller than the planned stretched LPV, but still a capable plaform.

Type: Arctic Patrol Vessel
    Units in Class: 2

Built: 2005-2008
    Dimensions:
    Length:61.0 m
    Beam: 14.6 m
    Draught: 4.95 m
    Displacement: 1,720 tons

Complement: 18 men (Accomodation for 43)
    Armament: 2 - 12.7 mm Heavy Machine Guns
    Speed: 17 knots
    Range: 3.000 nautical miles

Equipped with 76mm OTO

Comment

• A departmental study group comprising civilian and Naval Service personnel was established in 2006 to examine and report on a vessel replacement programme having regard to imminent replacement requirements. The group has submitted its report, on foot of which I will bring proposals to the Government in the coming weeks. All going well, the tender process will commence within the next few months with the expectation of placing a contract for the first of three ships early in 2008.

Comment

• Thats Old news. Why are you posting Last years Dail Debates?

We are not far from going to Tender(weeks). Its a closed tender, only those who have submitted acceptable RFPs will be considered, and only seven of them at that rate. The only variable at this stage is what the Allocated Budget will be.
        Last edited by Goldie fish; 17 April 2008, 20:09.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• I didn't notice the date on it.

Comment

• Clock counting down... Any day now...

Comment

• Are NEVESBU still operating?

Comment

• You mean these people?

http://www.iv-groep.nl/en/iv-nevesbu/profile.asp
                You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

• They done well for us before.

Comment

• So the contract for the OPV is ment to be signed in Dec this year.

Does anyone know is it a contract for 1 or 2 OPVs or will there be a seperate tender for each??

Comment

• 2 OPVs. Reading into the consultancy tender, thats what seems to be the plan.
                      Stage 1 Proposals have been evaluated and a detailed specification will issue to those invited to participate in Stage 2 - Invitation to Tender in May 2008 for the OPVs only, with tenders due for return in early July. Detailed tender evaluation is expected to take place in July/August. A decision on the invitation to tender for the EPV is being deferred until later in the year.
                      OPVs, Plural. I'd say the OPV contract would be well signed by December. The consultants have only been given a short time to approve the Tender Specs for OPV and EPV(2 weeks from award of contract, i.e,mid June). I get the impression from that, that those in charge of the project are eager to get it moving as quickly as possible, while the economy still allows an investment of this scale. Also the original tender is for 2 OPVs plus option for another.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        2 OPVs. Reading into the consultancy tender, thats what seems to be the plan.

OPVs, Plural. I'd say the OPV contract would be well signed by December. The consultants have only been given a short time to approve the Tender Specs for OPV and EPV(2 weeks from award of contract, i.e,mid June). I get the impression from that, that those in charge of the project are eager to get it moving as quickly as possible, while the economy still allows an investment of this scale. Also the original tender is for 2 OPVs plus option for another.

I wonder what the time will be between each build, Aoife is 30 years old next year so her replacement is the second new OPV.

Comment

• It takes OPVs from 18 months to two years to build a ship, up to a year or so to the christening and 6 months to a year to fit it out. Usually the first ship goes through much more first of class sea trials, you could possibly add another 6 months. I would say off hand two years minimum for the first ship. Also keep in mind older ships usually decomission 6 months to a year before its replacement is commissioned. That is if everything goes right.

When things go wrong, you can easily add another 6 months to a year, for example, the New Zealand OPVs have had to have all of their insulation replaced. Tenix used the wrong insulation building the ship. So if they ordered a ship this year, I would say you should expect delivery during 2010. A second ship would complete during 2011. I would expect the first steel to be cut within two months of contract signing.
                          Last edited by Sea Toby; 3 May 2008, 03:40.

Comment

• The difference with our OPVs is that it is a variation on a proven design, which is being built under the supervision of IACS, and independant consultants are approving the designs before the contract are signed.

Comment

All those tendering had to have delivered their tender by Noon today.

Contracts to be awarded by the end of the month, Hopefully if all goes according to plan, OPV contract should be signed soon after.

Comment

The difference with our OPVs is that it is a variation on a proven design, which is being built under the supervision of IACS, and independant consultants are approving the designs before the contract are signed.
                                Turns out Tenix used the wrong insulation for both the OPVs and IPVs. There was no problem with specifications, the problem was created by the insulation contractor sending the wrong insulation to the shipyard, whose workers didn't know the difference and used the insulation shipped.

This isn't so much a design problem, but more of a supply quality control problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X