Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member . goldie fish were are u getting does designs for new ships for the navy have the tenders even came back to the navy .. why dont they not try strike a deal with bae system for those 3 ships in england. regards zone 1

Comment

• Originally posted by zone 1 View Post
      new member . goldie fish were are u getting does designs for new ships for the navy have the tenders even came back to the navy .. why dont they not try strike a deal with bae system for those 3 ships in england. regards zone 1
      You mean the ships that Brunei refused to pay for because they didn't meet their specifications, which are totally unsuited to irish requirements

Comment

• I think they retail for a billion a piece. A bit much for a modernised type 21.
        I think the problem with the original buyers was their inability to pay. They asked for every bell and whistle, but the crown prince blew the budget on opiates and hookers.
        Last edited by Goldie fish; 13 April 2009, 17:57.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• why dont they not try strike a deal with bae system for those 3 ships in england
          Would be nice if we wanted to go to war but they ain't North Atlantic patrol vessels or even near the spec.

These are off shore minor war fare vessels with ASW and AD capability not medium to long range Patrol vessels .

I do reckon that someone will pick them up as abargain, happened before with HMS Mermaid during the 1970s.

Somebody thought it would be nice to have an all singing and dancing presidentail yacht built to mil spec until he ran out of cash, couple of tweaks later and the RN are up a very cheap frigate..and it served very well given it was never designed for the job it did.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Actually the naval service were offered HMS Mermaid as a replacement for the Flowers in the early 1970's

Comment

• didn't know that, thanks for that titbit.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Also the vessels would need modification to allow Irish sailors to get a bunk, as in Brunei the avarage height of a male sailor is 5.8 and so all fitted were made to a spec of 5.9foot.There was a detailed article in warships magazine a year ago or so about this problem.

edit actually i think they are on average 5.6!il do a bit of research and get back to you all on this one!
                Last edited by pilatus; 13 April 2009, 23:15.

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  didn't know that, thanks for that titbit.
                  its in the Orieachtas debates, around 1969, they were going to replace the flowers with an ASW ship and 2 fisheries protection vessels

Comment

• Originally posted by pilatus View Post
                    Also the vessels would need modification to allow Irish sailors to get a bunk, as in Brunei the avarage height of a male sailor is 5.8 and so all fitted were made to a spec of 5.9foot.There was a detailed article in warships magazine a year ago or so about this problem.

edit actually i think they are on average 5.6!il do a bit of research and get back to you all on this one!
                    Yeah I read that article as well. Its not only bunks but doorways, bulwarks, chairs etc. Would cost a fortune to modify!

As for their role, a RN officer was quoted as saying that they would love them for patroling in the Gulf off the Iraqui coast but they wouldn't be any use for any other RN operations.

Unsuitable as they may seem though, you have to ask yourself are they any worse then any vessels the NS currently have? Particularly, Aoife/Orla class which are far too small for Atlantic patrols?! At 95m and approx 1900t they would fit nicely. A big over gunned for their size though:wink:

Comment

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
                      Actually the naval service were offered HMS Mermaid as a replacement for the Flowers in the early 1970's
                      Cool, I remember reading about Mermaid(-Black Star, Nkrumahs plaything), it was basically a very large OPV in terms of equipment. It was laid up for about 6 years after the new "leader" of Ghana Lt Gen Ankrah refused to pay the £5 million for it!!I always thought it would have suited us.....particularly given the state of the NS circa 1968-1970.

Comment

• opv

are those the opv the Irish Navy are designing that Goldie has shown or just a navy wish we had one of those .....

Comment

• The ship I think you are talking about is the Meko design. This was originally put forward as a concept for the EPV. It is not something that the Irish Naval Service designed, but it was put forward as an alternative to the Kiwi MRV, which was won not by Blohm and Voss(from whom those designs come) but by Merwede and Tenix.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Bringing you the latest news, sport and events updates from around Devon. Including opinion, live blogs, pictures and video from the Devon Live team.

Comment

• A little bit more about the OPV design being proposed by Aker marine and Appleodore, one of the two finalist in the competition

Providing a surprisingly human shopping experience. Trusted and secure. Millions of domains to choose from.

Comment

• All that says is:
                                ... prepared a new design which is longer in length and has completed a check of the key parameters affecting vessels performance and analyzed proposed options to improve sea keeping.
                                Anyone know who the other finalist is?

Comment

Working...
                                X