This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mugs
    Don't know if this has been discussed further on and indeed I don't know if this is off topic but what about Modular ships?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absalon...d_support_ship
    This is probably the Naval Service's dream vessel. It's a super EPV. But they can't afford it, simple as that.

Comment

• Originally posted by mugs
      I don't mean that one but a Modular vessel specially built for the Navy (Obviously smaller) but it could be set up for a sea lift capability then re fitted for a Patrol role.

Maybe I'm just thinking out loud
      Have a look at the "EPV" thread

Theres a good man.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        Have a look at the "EPV" thread

Theres a good man.
        Being patronizing doesn't suit you Seamus

So don't do it again.....there's a good man!
        Last edited by mugs; 2 October 2009, 15:48.
        Theirs not to make reply,
        Theirs not to reason why,
        Theirs but to do and die:
        Into the valley of Death
        Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

• Originally posted by mugs View Post
          Being patronizing doesn't suit you Seamus

So don't do it again.....there's a good man!
          Careful Kyle.

Now do what you are told.

Comment

• I see a Question has been tabled to the minister for defence today(written answer) about funding for the OPVs.

*934. To ask the Minister for Defence the funding which has been allocated for the
            building of new off shore patrol vessels; when construction will commence; and if he will
            make a statement on the matter. - Ciarán Lynch. [33856/09]

Comment

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
              Add nothing new , its ripped off from the independent a few weeks ago and is factually incorrect as the tender process is complete.

indeed the bidder has been chosen, according to WOD, and it could be Babcock/Aker/Appledore.

Then again it could be frassmer.
              To my knowledge Aker no longer exist as Aker, and are now known as STX Europe. One would assume naval-technology.com would know this.

Comment

• Regarding the Naval Service Vessel Replacement Programme, the overall tender process for the Offshore Patrol Vessels is complete and we have a preferred bidder. Financing for the Naval Vessel Replacement Programme will be dealt with in the context of the current estimates discussions. I do believe that through the ongoing modernisation of system, structures and capabilities, we can arrive at a reasonable solution, which will fulfil the States requirements for effective maritime capabilities as provided by the Naval Service.

Comment

• 934. Deputy Ciarán Lynch asked the Minister for Defence the funding which has been allocated for the building of new offshore patrol vessels; when construction will commence; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [33856/09]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Willie O’Dea): My Department’s Vote for 2009 includes an amount of €5m which has been allocated towards the purchase of new Offshore Patrol Vessels for the Naval Service.

This funding has been ear-marked as a down-payment to be made upon the signing of a contract with the preferred bidder who emerged following a recent tender competition organised by my Department.

The Naval Vessel Replacement Programme will be considered as part of the Estimates and budgetary process for 2010. A contract cannot be signed until Government approval has been granted.

Subject to a Government decision on the matter, I would anticipate that the construction of the new vessels would commence a number of months after a contract is signed.

Comment

• What do you read into that. Its almost like a political "I'm putting the ball in their court". A little bit of pressure on the bean counters?

And budgets will not be finalised until when, December?

Comment

• Either way, its at least 6 months behind schedule already. Estimates usually come out before the Budget....

Comment

This funding has been ear-marked as a down-payment to be made upon the signing of a contract with the preferred bidder who emerged following a recent tender competition organised by my Department.
                        Goldie, who was the preferred bidder?

Comment

• Originally posted by pmtts View Post
                          Goldie, who was the preferred bidder?
                          That will not be public Knowledge until after the contract is signed.

Comment

• A little bit of pressure on the bean counters?
                            The 'bean counters' in this instance is the Minister for Finance and the Government. Spending money on a new Naval Vessel when there are very difficult cuts in services and payyet to be made is very difficult. Like a lot of other things, it depends if they have the balls to do it.

Comment

• Yes I understand the pressures. I wonder how innovative the successful tenderer will be with payment options and if that will sway the decision.

Comment

Minister for Defence (Deputy Willie O’Dea): My Department’s Vote for 2009 includes an amount of €5m which has been allocated towards the purchase of new Offshore Patrol Vessels for the Naval Service.

Could be €10m if they get rid of the RDF.
                                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Working...
                                X