Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that is some dedication what was the other 10% used on .. 5% go search and rescue and 5% stopping drugs hitting our shore thank god we got a new custom boat then .. if we are to be serious we need at least 12 ship navy for our commitments .. will the new white paper on defence give them what they need ........ no

Comment

• Fligt deck had a use until someone bought the wrong helo and not enough of them to make it work..it wass there as part of the design can't be removed, althought it could stillbe used and has been to land troops on expanding the role of Eithne to a mini troop carrier at times.

Wrong type of aircrew maybe ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        They are not just fisheries protection! That is the job of the Fisheries Protection agency.
        I suggest you Google Marita Ann, Chicotumi, Kowloon Bridge, Brime, Dances with waves.
        Then tell me what type of fish these vessels were catching.
        I fail to see why you are commenting on a thread about New Naval vessels when it is quite clear you have no knowledge of the role the Naval Service carries out.
        Jeebus - you' re BACK !!!
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• I made clear my intention to continue posting on this thread. Now if you have nothing to offer... off you pop.
          The helideck has also shown its usefulness in carrying 20 foot containers of equipment for dive support etc, and if required, is the only vessel in the Fleet that can carry 2 Mowag Piranhas.

But that is Eithne.

The thread is supposed to be about the NEW OPV.

Can anyone stick to the topic?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
            Going by the tenders, i would have said that they're looking for the EPV for possible overseas deployment. Although a lot of peple have focused on the possible role in shipping supplies, I for one would perfer a ship capable of operating in missions like Somalia, with an adequate self defence capability.
            How much would a CIWS add to the cost?, surely it couldn't be a massive amount?

Comment

• the McCarthy report says we should put of on purchasing of new ships ..could this be a clear indication that it definitely wont get the go ahead in 2010

Comment

• Why don't they tie the whole lot up, issue the lads with bicycle clips and mountain bikes, and do the patrols along the cliff tops and walking paths around the coast. It would have positive benefits for fitness in the service, and the maintenance costs would be less, in the event of a puncture worst case scenario, you get a few blisters pushing the bike back.

On the other hand there is also a rent to buy option. Consider this: I am sure that the Russians have few ships going spare some where, why not make a rental purchase offer!

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
                  How much would a CIWS add to the cost?, surely it couldn't be a massive amount?

Mk 15 Phalanx Block 1B
                  IOC: 1999
                  Unitary Cost: USD$7.8 million

Unit cost €16 million
                  Goalkeeper is a Dutch close-in weapon system

This would be more suitable for the littoral taskings & constabulary roles of the NS

Mk 44 7.62 mm Minigun
                  Recently fitted to any RN ships on operational deployments
                  Cost $25,000 (€16,700) for gun alone, but 4-6 & get a reduction!
                  Last edited by Dogwatch; 23 November 2009, 22:16.

Comment

• the Mk 44 7.62 looks a real bargin... would be a good choice of weapon to have on NS vessels price looks good to.

Comment

• Originally posted by blaisec View Post
                      Why don't they tie the whole lot up, issue the lads with bicycle clips and mountain bikes, and do the patrols along the cliff tops and walking paths around the coast. It would have positive benefits for fitness in the service, and the maintenance costs would be less, in the event of a puncture worst case scenario, you get a few blisters pushing the bike back.

On the other hand there is also a rent to buy option. Consider this: I am sure that the Russians have few ships going spare some where, why not make a rental purchase offer!
                      How exactly will they see over 200 nm from the coast (they would want to be powerful binos!) ?

To buy/rent Russian would probably cost more - Westernising the vessels, getting them back into go nick, etc

Comment

• How much does the 76mm gun cost?

Comment

• some one told me before dont no how true but a second hand one like we have can cost up to a 1million euros dont no how true that is

Comment

• anyways could we trust a russian ship last time one of those were in our waters they made a mess no we should get those bikes blaisec is talking about the government give u a grant the greens would love the navy .. russin ships my god no keep emer . .

Comment

• If you're talking about the 76mm SR for CIWS then I presume you need a good fire control radar for it, adding on much more cash.

You will never have a quiet world until you knock the patriotism out of the human race

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                How exactly will they see over 200 nm from the coast (they would want to be powerful binos!) ?

To buy/rent Russian would probably cost more - Westernising the vessels, getting them back into go nick, etc
                                I was being flippant DeV, of course we need the coverage 200Nm out. As to westernizing the Russian ships, would it not be a chance for the Languge school in the Curragh to shine.
                                Teaching the Navy lads to speak russian so they can read and translate the machinary labels/i.ds etc. The stop / go buttons should not be a problem RED/ GREEN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X