This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wave studies??
    The Wave studies that show that a typical OPV is suitable for operations in the weather conditions experienced in the waters of the west Atlantic for less than half the year and that an MRV would be suited for more than two thirds of the year.

Comment

• Kudos Goldie for all your informed posting.....

over the years. Most of us who visit this board are supporters of the NS. I don't think that you have to separate us into optimists or pessimists. I like to think that a pessimist is just an optimist with all the facts.

Fact: This country has no Naval policy.
      Fact: Most Politicians react only to situations that provide a direct benefit to themselves and/or their party.
      Fact: The Irish economy is now in sever financial difficulty (please correct me if this is wrong) and a lot can happen in 4 years.
      Fact: Efficient and effective ships are not an "optional extra" for the Naval Service. They are the reason the Service exists.
      Fact: It is easy to work out when you need a new ship. Add 30 (a figure pulled out of someones a$$, should be 20 for Deirdre class) to the year it was built and voila! By the amazing use of "sums" the ballpark to maintain an 8 ship Navy is to build/buy 3 ships per decade.

Lets assume the modern NS started with the launching of LE Deirdre;
      70's = Three ships built,
      80's = Two ships built, Two purchased,
      90's = Two ships built (I include both P50,51 here),
      00's = Celtic tiger party = NOTHING BUILT, nothing leased, nothing purchased.
      (I have omitted Ferdia, Setanta for reasons obvious to anyone who served on them).

When Joe Duffy returns on Monday the conversation should not be "why is de navy getting two big boats for E100M with all the poor widders and orphans having their lectricity cut off". The conversation should be 'Where the f are the other three ships" and why will it take until 2014/15 for them to arrive.

I doubt if this board has any major affect on government policy but as it seems to house the largest collection of NS cheerleaders in captivity the message to them needs to be "Fair attempt, needs more effort and needs to produce more results, faster."

Comment

• Originally posted by ocean View Post
        The Wave studies that show that a typical OPV is suitable for operations in the weather conditions experienced in the waters of the west Atlantic for less than half the year and that an MRV would be suited for more than two thirds of the year.
        Reference? Source?

Comment

• Originally posted by easyrider View Post
          Reference? Source?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
            Jaysus lads, you are fierce negative.

So go easy on the negativity. Wait until something is actually cancelled before you get all morbid and depressed. You must all be an absolute joy to live with.
            Very true.

Comment

• Originally posted by ocean View Post

I had a look at that KNMI Wave Atlas - which are the relevant stats?

BTW, the official DF website says that "LÉ Roisin.... was built to a design that optimizes her patrol performance in Irish waters (which are among the roughest in the world), all year round. For that reason a greater length overall (78.8m) was chosen, giving her a long, sleek appearance and allowing the opportunity to improve the conditions onboard for her crew...."

One other thing: presumably when bad weather is forecast, the OPV out west can head for shelter?

Comment

• And if the OPV needs to rush to the aid of a stricken vessel during heavy weather?

They don't take shelter in bad weather. They merely secure the ship for it and continue on their duties. The ships course may be altered to protect the crew, but otherwise duties continue as normal.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Ten years ago, the NS needed one ship, it got 2.
                  And Government policy became an 8 ship navy as recommended by PwC and the Special Report. As well as increased targets (I presume as the sea days have been reduced this year, I assume the targets have been too???)

Originally posted by TerryD1957 View Post
                  Any ideas or information on the actual design/plans for the new OPV's?
                  Unlikely to be finalised until the stage when the contract is signed.

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
                  I had a look at that KNMI Wave Atlas - which are the relevant stats?

BTW, the official DF website says that "LÉ Roisin.... was built to a design that optimizes her patrol performance in Irish waters (which are among the roughest in the world), all year round.
                  And getting worse hence the wave height study

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  They don't take shelter in bad weather. They merely secure the ship for it and continue on their duties. The ships course may be altered to protect the crew, but otherwise duties continue as normal.
                  25% of the fleet has to! (the CPVs)!

Comment

• I just love when things get out of hand!

Can we have a naming competition for the two new OPVs or can we use names from the past ?

I assume we are going down the roads of a 76mm OTO Melara with a pair of recently retired Rheinmetalls

Ships boats to be the standard fit?

Crew...forty something?

P60 to be the class type?

UAV capable ?

OK so its only two....but its better than nothing.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

You must all be an absolute joy to live with.
                      Whoever you were talking to is a liar!

Could be worse. Should be a whole lot better.

You've been waiting for this decision for quite a while so I'll lighten up and congratulate you on surpassing the 25k.

Reserving the right to whinge at a later date.

Yours in boundless excitement and enthusiasm,

JJ

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        I just love when things get out of hand!

Can we have a naming competition for the two new OPVs or can we use names from the past ?

I assume we are going down the roads of a 76mm OTO Melara with a pair of recently retired Rheinmetalls

Ships boats to be the standard fit?

Crew...forty something?

P60 to be the class type?

UAV capable ?

OK so its only two....but its better than nothing.
                        Correct but it postpones the problem, we do know they are going to be UAV capable.

Comment

• According to DF PR Officer to answer question on his facebook page - "What are the model of the new ships being purchased by the navy?"

Babcock Marine, a British shipyard, has been contracted to build the two new Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs). Negotiations on the finer details are ongoing.

The two new OPVs will be 90m (295ft) vessels with a crew of 44 and 10 trainees, and will have a cruise speed of 16 knots with a capability of reaching 23 knots. The ships will be packing a 76mm (3in) cannon, two heavy machine guns and four general purpose machine guns.

Comment

• PDFORRA WELCOMES DECISION TO PURCHASE TWO NEW NAVAL VESSELS
                            By General Secretary
                            PDFORRA, which represents soldiers, sailors and aircrew of the Defence Forces, today welcomed the announcement of a decision by Government to purchase two new naval patrol vessels. This long overdue announcement is of immense importance to our Naval Service members who are currently operating on some old ships, which not up to the standard required for the job.

Gerry Rooney, General Secretary of PDFORRA said today, “This overdue announcement is welcome. Last year we publicly raised the health and safety issues and indeed risks associated with operating ships which are over 30 years old. This has seen hull damage become apparent in some ships as well has unacceptably levels of noise in certain areas. The decision to purchase new ships will mitigate some of the adverse impact of the years of chronic underfunding”.

Despite the lack of funding the Naval Service has significantly increased its seagoing productivity over the last decade. Over that period of time the proportion of GDP spent on Defence has fallen from 1% to the lowest in the EU at 0.5%.

PDFORRA looks forward to the arrival of two new Naval Service patrol vessels, one in 2014 and one in 2015, as announced.

ENDS
                            ERROR 4.0.4Something  Went Wrong The page you are looking for was moved, removed, renamed or might never existed. Please Click on Home below to return to the main menu. HOME

Comment

• Despite the lack of funding the Naval Service has significantly increased its seagoing productivity over the last decade. Over that period of time the proportion of GDP spent on Defence has fallen from 1% to the lowest in the EU at 0.5%.
                              So during the boom, defence spending fell... How europe hasnt put us under pressure to increase defence spending ill never know. . .
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                                So during the boom, defence spending fell...
                                Thats what the man implied but not what he said. Defence spending may well have increased. Its just that GDP increased by more.
                                Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Working...
                                X