Thanks Thanks:  509
Likes Likes:  670
Dislikes Dislikes:  14
Page 89 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2665

Thread: OPV Replacement

  1. #2201
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,912
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Any NS vessel (including a MRV or ETV) will spend 90% of its time in the Irish EEZ / over the Irish Continental Shelf conducting constabulary type duties...
    you say this every time, and you always put it at the top o the 'whats needed?' list - but its not true.

    in Irish EPV/MRV would (in the context of the current op) go to the Med in April and stay there until October, it would port in Italy and Malta and its crew would rotate.

    6 month, 12 month, 18 month deployments are relatively routine in Navies - hell, even Submarines can do 11 month deployments (the crew must look like uncooked chips after that...).

    an Irish EPV/MRV that was part of a relatively modern, 9 ship fleet would spend the overwhelming majority of its life on overseas duty - 6 months in the Med/Indian Ocean, exercises with the Army/AC both at home and with EUBG, defence diplomacy, support for UN/EU ops, humanitarian relief in the Carribean...

    the idea that the EPV/MRV is a fisheries protection ship that will get dobbed to do other things once a decade utterly, utterly wrong.

  2. Thanks Turkey, EUFighter thanked for this post
  3. #2202
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    moving rapidly away.......
    Posts
    2,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thread split.. manning levels.
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

  4. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Sparky42, DeV liked this post
  5. #2203
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky42 View Post
    What makes the order of a ninth ship make it seem that only something along the 60's is the future? Is it just very Irish to proclaim that getting an increase in the actual size of the fleet is something that we should be complaining about? I mean not too many years ago the idea that we'd get a 1 for 1 looked remote. Let's just wait and see what happens rather than declare what might happen in 3-6 years from now.
    Referencing the recent White Paper on Defence, Minister Kehoe explained that,

    “Work has commenced in the Department on the ships replacement programme. The specifications for the replacement vessels will be drawn up and a public tender competition will be instigated to cover the supply of future replacement ships, including a large multi role vessel as stated in the White Paper”.

    Further information will be made available on this replacement programme in due course.

  6. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  7. #2204
    Sergeant Major EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is interesting that Minister Kehoe talks about a large multi role vessel rather than an EPV.
    It would be interesting if they are think along the lines of a vessel similar to SSV vessels ordered by the Philippines? The price would be not much different to another SB-class.

  8. #2205
    Lieutenant
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    It is interesting that Minister Kehoe talks about a large multi role vessel rather than an EPV.
    It would be interesting if they are think along the lines of a vessel similar to SSV vessels ordered by the Philippines? The price would be not much different to another SB-class.
    Something like that (or the Singaporean Endurance) have issues, for example the crew areas (down to basic sizes for people), I seem to remember the RN said no to some of the BAE "light frigates" due to berthing issues.

  9. Thanks EUFighter thanked for this post
    Likes EUFighter liked this post
  10. #2206
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    It is interesting that Minister Kehoe talks about a large multi role vessel rather than an EPV.
    To quote WP2015:

    "The LE Eithne .... will be replaced by a .... MRV..... enabled for helicopter operations and will also have a freight carrying capacity"

  11. Likes EUFighter liked this post
  12. #2207
    Sergeant Major EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Singapore Tech Endurance class is a fine ship, has the advantage it has a relative small crew of 65 due to the high level of automation. It is however more expensive as the unit sold to Thailand cost SGD200m which is just over 130mE.

    As for crew accommodation this is Customer specified and we get what we want! If it is not the standard then the troop capacity can be reduced, this is 350 on the Endurance-140.

    I know it is a hot topic but if we even did go for such a vessel then its full potential will only be realized when it gets an air component, 2 MH60S helicopters would be ideal.

  13. #2208
    Sergeant Major EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an interesting tour of an Endurance class!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDCkGxdgr1Q

  14. Thanks Shaqra, sofa, danno thanked for this post
    Likes Jetjock liked this post
  15. #2209
    C/S
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    Here is an interesting tour of an Endurance class!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDCkGxdgr1Q
    Very interesting and detailed tour of the ship. The naval service could expand their open days to give a more complete view of their ships for the public and would in turn probably gain even more respect etc especially considering the conditions on some of the smaller ships

  16. Likes EUFighter, DeV liked this post
  17. #2210
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    The Singapore Tech Endurance class is a fine ship, has the advantage it has a relative small crew of 65 due to the high level of automation. It is however more expensive as the unit sold to Thailand cost SGD200m which is just over 130mE.

    As for crew accommodation this is Customer specified and we get what we want! If it is not the standard then the troop capacity can be reduced, this is 350 on the Endurance-140.

    I know it is a hot topic but if we even did go for such a vessel then its full potential will only be realized when it gets an air component, 2 MH60S helicopters would be ideal.
    Little problem which leads to a non runner. All the heights on the interior are built to spec for lower sized Asian persons. The whole thing would have to be scaled up, and ships don't work that way as top weight would increase substantially.

    As a concept its nice, as a design, no good to us.
    Time for another break I think......

  18. Dislikes EUFighter disliked this post
  19. #2211
    Rittmeister Herald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    856
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibenji View Post
    Very interesting and detailed tour of the ship. The naval service could expand their open days to give a more complete view of their ships for the public and would in turn probably gain even more respect etc especially considering the conditions on some of the smaller ships
    Yes, because open days on ships is really important.

  20. Likes EUFighter liked this post
  21. #2212
    Sergeant Major EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like
    The assumption you have made is extremely rascist and incorrect.

    The design standard are the same in Singapore and Europe (I have asked a contact I have at ST) which is why they can offer the Terrex to the USMC.
    So no need to increase the heights on the interior!

  22. #2213
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    T
    he assumption you have made is extremely rascist and incorrect.
    I submitted a post in the thread offering a build from the far east such as this to be informed that the difficulty was indeed that ships were built to accommadate persons of lower stature, which is in no way racist.
    Time for another break I think......

  23. #2214
    C/S
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    Yes, because open days on ships is really important.
    Yes, open days are important from the point of view that (1) its raises public awareness of the potential career choice and (2) supports and highlights the need for continual investment of the service. Fairly obvious to be fair
    Last edited by ibenji; 28th June 2016 at 20:34.

  24. Likes DeV liked this post
  25. #2215
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibenji View Post
    Yes, open days are important from the point of view that (1) its raises public awareness of the potential career choice and (2) supports and highlights the need for continual investment of the service. Fairly obvious to be fair
    Open days are a pain in the arse, letting groups below decks is a big no no.....everything below decks has the potential to injure people who are not used to working below decks. A virtual perhaps, otherwise no.
    Time for another break I think......

  26. Likes DeV liked this post
  27. #2216
    Sergeant Major EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is the public that pay the taxes that pays for the ships, that pays for the salaries of everyone who works on them. They may be in some peoples eye a pain in the ass but a visit below decks is one of the best ways to get interest in the navy. It is not about letting people wander as they please it is about a tour. Take a group of guys aboard any ship and what do they want to see.... the engine room, the bridge etc. All the DF needs to be more open to the public as it is the only way to keep the funding it has now and in the future.

    The NS is short of personnel, a open day would generate a lot of applications to say the least.

  28. Likes ibenji, Tempest, apod liked this post
    Dislikes hptmurphy disliked this post
  29. #2217
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would but also a lot of breakages and stealing. Virtual tour is an excellent idea

  30. #2218
    Major General
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    Here is an interesting tour of an Endurance class!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDCkGxdgr1Q
    Seems a very capable unit and in similiar vein to Interpid/Fearless of days of yore. Wouldnt be much use for ops on the Golan.

  31. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, EUFighter liked this post
  32. #2219
    Sergeant Major EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like
    The opposition to "Ship Open Days" is amazing, plenty of navies hold open days and none of their ship get stolen. I have never seen anyone trying to walk off a ship with a 76mm OTO under their arm or a Wärtsilä diesel engine stuffed in their pocket............
    Ship are prepared before they are opened to the public, small items are stored away, control are covered, the amount of people onboard at any one time is limited etc
    Their should be an Open Weekend in Haulbowline each year, and once a year when a ship is docked in its adopted city there should be an Open Ship weekend.

    The biggest problem is normally more people want to visit the ships than they can accommodate. If there is one service which Mr G. Public rates as good then it is the NS and this should be supported with every means possible.

  33. Likes ibenji, Galloglass, Sarsfield liked this post
    Dislikes hptmurphy, na grohmiti disliked this post
  34. #2220
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking more along the lines of crew personal items

  35. #2221
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EUFighter View Post
    It is the public that pay the taxes that pays for the ships, that pays for the salaries of everyone who works on them. They may be in some peoples eye a pain in the ass but a visit below decks is one of the best ways to get interest in the navy. It is not about letting people wander as they please it is about a tour. Take a group of guys aboard any ship and what do they want to see.... the engine room, the bridge etc. All the DF needs to be more open to the public as it is the only way to keep the funding it has now and in the future.

    The NS is short of personnel, a open day would generate a lot of applications to say the least.
    I take it from this you have never been below decks on a OPV sized vessel and are ignorant to the physical restrictions involved.

    Top deck visits are even very restrictive in their nature.

    The NS is short of personnel, a open day would generate a lot of applications to say the least.
    Applications and vacancies are not the issue with huge panels and waiting periods, the problem being permission for intakes and retention. Read the posts on recruitment and retention and conditions.

    It is the public that pay the taxes that pays for the ships, that pays for the salaries of everyone who works on them.
    We also pay for the jails/prisons but have no reason to be there but actively support their continuation.
    Time for another break I think......

  36. Likes Herald liked this post
  37. #2222
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    The issue is retention

  38. #2223
    Sergeant Major EUFighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    799
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder if we could get a package deal from Singapore:

    1 Endurace class to replace LE Ethine
    2 Independence Class Littoral Mission Vessels to replace the Peacocks.
    http://www.navyrecognition.com/index...n-details.html

    Singapore are replacing their Fearless patrol vessels with the larger Independence class.

  39. #2224
    Major General
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whats the unit cost?

  40. #2225
    Major General
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of crew personal items
    Is there much of problem with indigenous theft ; Blue on Blue?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •