• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smegers View Post
    You shouldn't use the "b" word in here.
    From the Cambridge Dictionary
    ship noun
    Definition
    a large boat for travelling on water, especially across the sea

Why does the B word upset people so much?

Comment

• 'Ships carry boats but boats do not carry ships'

Its a size thing!
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by B Inman View Post
        From the Cambridge Dictionary
        ship noun
        Definition
        a large boat for travelling on water, especially across the sea

Why does the B word upset people so much?
        Typical of the boat racers to say that.

You are given a chouce of 2 means of crossing the atlantic.

A ship or a boat.

Which would you pick?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Goldie, are the FCS on the Peacocks the same as the ones on Niamh and Roisin? I think the latter have Radomac 1500 but not sure if its the same on the Peacocks?

Comment

• If I cross have to cross the Atlantic I'll take a plane but I get the idea size matters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
              Goldie, are the FCS on the Peacocks the same as the ones on Niamh and Roisin? I think the latter have Radomac 1500 but not sure if its the same on the Peacocks?
              The FCS on the peacocks were upgraded a few years after they were bought. I know they are the same makers, but not sure if they are the same version.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                The FCS on the peacocks were upgraded a few years after they were bought. I know they are the same makers, but not sure if they are the same version.
                Ta for that, I wasn't thinking of us keeping the FCS as well, just the guns and fittings etc.

Comment

• Getting ahead of myself, but, is there a snowballs chance in hell of P21/22/23 or 31 being preserved as a museum/training vessel?

It would be nice to see one being saved as an example of Irish shipbuilding - but I'm aware that the costs may well be prohibitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                    Getting ahead of myself, but, is there a snowballs chance in hell of P21/22/23 or 31 being preserved as a museum/training vessel?

It would be nice to see one being saved as an example of Irish shipbuilding - but I'm aware that the costs may well be prohibitive.
                    There are at the moment, hundreds of ships around the world rusting away as the funds required to keep them in museum condition are no longer available. A better option would be to pass them onto someone else, in calmer waters, and let them live out their days as working ships, not rusting away as relics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herald View Post
                      Ta for that, I wasn't thinking of us keeping the FCS as well, just the guns and fittings etc.
                      The FCS on LPVs & CPVs are the same, Radamec 1500 FCS. They are also an excellent surveillance system.

To keep OTOs without FCS would be foolish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dogwatch View Post
                        The FCS on LPVs & CPVs are the same, Radamec 1500 FCS. They are also an excellent surveillance system.

To keep OTOs without FCS would be foolish.
                        Thanks Dogwatch, I wasn't aware they also had the 1500, in that case its a no brainer keeping them for new ships.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          There are at the moment, hundreds of ships around the world rusting away as the funds required to keep them in museum condition are no longer available. A better option would be to pass them onto someone else, in calmer waters, and let them live out their days as working ships, not rusting away as relics.
                          On that front the old Lightship in Kilmore Quay was recently cut/dug up and done away with.Seemingly part of the structure was failing and a danger but more importantly the hull was buried exposed to seawater rising in the mud alongside on the tide and rusting and the effluent was polluting the harbour.How not to preserve a marine relic!

Comment

• New French OPV under construction - pretty radical design

Comment

• no feckin windows.
                              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                                no feckin windows.
                                It isn't a cruise liner, you aren't there for the scenery. As long as you have windows on the bridge, you don't need any more.

Comment

Working...
                                X