Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  134
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546
Results 1,126 to 1,142 of 1142

Thread: Found on E-Bay

  1. #1126
    Lt Colonel Buck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Heart in Donegal
    Posts
    2,050
    Post Thanks / Like
    As an aside, if anyone else is shifting on an og jacket...
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

    In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

    You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

  2. #1127
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,785
    Post Thanks / Like

  3. #1128
    Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Didn't Arktis make the original issues - they may well have a clause in the contract allowing them to keep producing stuff in the IDPM pattern after the original contract was completed.

  4. #1129
    Major General ODIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,812
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Ha...finally I can get a new Bush Hat!!!! In all seriousness though, they must have a deal with the DF, or have made slight changes to the pattern to get around copyright. Hell, the DF may even be allowing them to do this, Irish DPM is popular with the airsoft community and others, allowing arktis to license the pattern and produce it might keep some of the official stuff from popping up on Ebay.
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

  5. #1130
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,937
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's another thread here somewhere - I think it was said that: Arktis designed the original Irish DPM gear and after the first batch, DoD went with a cheaper supplier, but some(?) of the gear for the sniper teams is still sourced from Arktis.

    Have a civvy smock from them, built like a tank and will probably outlast me.

  6. #1131
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,785
    Post Thanks / Like
    The material can only be procured by the DF

  7. #1132
    Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    The material can only be procured by the DF
    really?

    you don't believe that anyone who can print cloth can do it - you also believe that Irish Law applies everywhere?

    are you sure you're allowed a rifle/shoelaces?

  8. #1133
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,785
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    really?

    you don't believe that anyone who can print cloth can do it - you also believe that Irish Law applies everywhere?

    are you sure you're allowed a rifle/shoelaces?
    There is the Defence Act yes - ever hear of contract law???

  9. #1134
    Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    There is the Defence Act yes - ever hear of contract law???
    You probably ought to talk to Nike, they mustn't be aware that there's a simple, cheap way of getting Chinese factories to stop ripping them off.

    So, this Defence Act, the one doesn't apply to companies who aren't in Ireland - like, for example, Arktis - tell me about it....

  10. #1135
    Lt General Bravo20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Smoke
    Posts
    4,868
    Post Thanks / Like
    No but copyright law would apply and contract law (depending on the contract they signed). Also the defence acts would make it illegal for them to export goods to this country as well as making it illegal for someone in this country from buying them.

    Also please refrain from personal insults when you reply to this.

  11. Likes DeV liked this post
  12. #1136
    Lt General apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    4,679
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arktis supplied the ARW with their smocks and trousers circa 1995.
    We designed the pattern and I believe paid Arktis a fee for use of their clothing design.
    Portwest in Mayo and Seyntex in Belgium produced the first items for issue in 1999.
    Arktis continue to manufacture specialist items for us.
    Both Seyntex and Arktis have been known for selling off surplus items AND Seyntex has sold off surplus material.
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  13. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, hptmurphy liked this post
  14. #1137
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,937
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the term "Irish DPM" copyrighted? As for the pattern itself, Crye haven't had much luck protecting theirs - the Brits and Yanks sidestepped royalties by making a very minor alteration to the pattern and the makers have avoided any repercussions from Crye: http://www.thefashionlaw.com/home/us...-army-supplier

    And as for all the Chinese copies...

    So if there's even a minute difference between what Arktis are selling and the official pattern, I think DoD would have a very hard time doing anything about it.

  15. #1138
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,172
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pym View Post
    Is the term "Irish DPM" copyrighted? As for the pattern itself, Crye haven't had much luck protecting theirs - the Brits and Yanks sidestepped royalties by making a very minor alteration to the pattern and the makers have avoided any repercussions from Crye: http://www.thefashionlaw.com/home/us...-army-supplier

    And as for all the Chinese copies...

    So if there's even a minute difference between what Arktis are selling and the official pattern, I think DoD would have a very hard time doing anything about it.
    From the pics I saw, the brown shade in the pattern looks more red than brown
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

  16. #1139
    Major General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    From the pics I saw, the brown shade in the pattern looks more red than brown
    Like officers brown shoes? Oxblood.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

  17. #1140
    Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    The material can only be procured by the DF
    You can buy it by the meter on AliExpress
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

  18. #1141
    Lt General apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    4,679
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crye haven't had much luck protecting theirs - the Brits and Yanks sidestepped royalties by making a very minor alteration to the pattern
    Quite the opposite.The yanks got Crye to develop their Scorpion pattern.When the numpties that be decided to go with UCP Crye took the scorpion pattern,tweaked it, and sold it as Multicam. The yanks owned the original pattern.When they decided to ditch UCP and OEF pattern and go to OCP(scorpion w2)they made minor changes to stop Crye from claiming that they were copying Multicam.
    The Brits had to pay for a licence to produce their DPM blended with Cryes Multicam as MTP. Hence the reason that in the early days of MTP it could not be got commercially.The licence has expired now.
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  19. Thanks DeV, pym, Truck Driver thanked for this post
    Likes sofa liked this post
  20. #1142
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,937
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Quite the opposite.The yanks got Crye to develop their Scorpion pattern.When the numpties that be decided to go with UCP Crye took the scorpion pattern,tweaked it, and sold it as Multicam. The yanks owned the original pattern.When they decided to ditch UCP and OEF pattern and go to OCP(scorpion w2)they made minor changes to stop Crye from claiming that they were copying Multicam.
    The Brits had to pay for a licence to produce their DPM blended with Cryes Multicam as MTP. Hence the reason that in the early days of MTP it could not be got commercially.The licence has expired now.
    Thanks for that - I had the wrong impression of the whole thing.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •