No announcement yet.

Foreign Naval Visits 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the aussies are due in cork around the 21st june. something happening around the naval base that week for them. the french training vessel just left yesterday morning and the french band are in dublin today after spending the weekend in cork.. i think they are heading off tomorrow

Comment

Aussies are due in cork from 19-22nd of june.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

HMS Hursworth at Sir John Rogersons Quay Dublin Fri 10 June.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by B Inman; 10 June 2005, 17:28.

Comment

Tut Tut , they forgot to take down the steaming flag , not very Royal Navy like .
          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Why is it flying an irish flag?
            The trick to pet names is a combination of affectionate nouns. Honeybun. Sugarpie. Kittentits.

Comment

I have been informed that 2 Pakistani ships will be visiting Cork on or about the 22nd of june also(it'll be crowded up there).
              PNS Tippu Sultan and Moawin will be visiting,with the smaller Amazon Class(HMS Avenger) frigate Tippu Sultan heading to Cork City Quays,while the larger Moawin goes to the deepwater berth at Ringaskiddy(which is normally closed to non business visitors,but the waste ground opposite provides a good photo op.

AO Moawin

Comment

Originally posted by Gasplug
                Why is it flying an irish flag?
                All ships are obliged to fly the flag of the nation they are visiting from the masts. Its an ancient tradition.(and a right pain in the ass if you are transiting the maas/schelde/rhine)

Comment

The QM on HMS Hursworth was wearing DPM,s. He is in the second JPG. Is it unusual for sailors to wear DPM,s while serving on a ship ?

Comment

Nice pics Inman, the guy in DPM's looks like an RM .I dont know if all ships still have an RM detachment. Maybe GF can look that up. M36 is she a minsweeper only or multi role. That pic of her stern is good shows the advances from the Bamba days/type. Is that a fishery patrol pennent she is flying? Oh and whats the name of that three master in the background ?
                    Last edited by Gunner Who?; 10 June 2005, 22:42.

Comment

M36 is a Hunt class mine counter measures vessel. Yes it is a fishery patrol pennent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner Who?
                        Nice pics Inman, the guy in DPM's looks like an RM .I dont know if all ships still have an RM detachment. Maybe GF can look that up. M36 is she a minsweeper only or multi role. That pic of her stern is good shows the advances from the Bamba days/type. Is that a fishery patrol pennent she is flying? Oh and whats the name of that three master in the background ?

This guy wore a black beret, I thought RM,s wear green.

I'll get the name of the 3 master on Sunday some JPG,s also.

Comment

Originally posted by B Inman
                          The QM on HMS Hursworth was wearing DPM,s. He is in the second JPG. Is it unusual for sailors to wear DPM,s while serving on a ship ?
                          The ships web site shows several members of the crew wearing DPM,s and black Beret on an exercise ashore with an army unit . There does not appear to be R M detachment onboard so I assume the Q M shown in the second photo is Royal Navy .

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                            I have been informed that 2 Pakistani ships will be visiting Cork on or about the 22nd of june also(it'll be crowded up there).
                            PNS Tippu Sultan and Moawin will be visiting,with the smaller Amazon Class(HMS Avenger) frigate Tippu Sultan heading to Cork City Quays,while the larger Moawin goes to the deepwater berth at Ringaskiddy(which is normally closed to non business visitors,but the waste ground opposite provides a good photo op.

AO Moawin
                            The fish and chipper vans better stock up on curry sauce .

Comment

that AO Moawin looks very big. What are those derricks midships? Could it be a RFA type ship?

BTW re HMAS Anzac visit to Cork have a look at the Oz Navy virtual fleet site :

Last edited by Gunner Who?; 11 June 2005, 05:55.

Comment

The last time I saw an RN vessel up close (Pool of London, last year) I saw several RN personnel, including the guard, in DPM's.
                                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Working...
                                X