No announcement yet.

Dublin Barracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what I've found in my research--these were active during the War of Independence (2 exceptions in parens just before).

This may seem like a large number, but the Dublin Brigade became the Dublin District in Mar 1920 with the 24th & 25th (Provisional) Infantry Brigades assigned. Brig.-Gen. Boyd was promoted to Maj.-Gen. at this re-organisation. Most of the battalions assigned were actually in the City, although the District had purview over Co. Dublin and Meath. Most of these barracks had one or two infantry battalions garrisoned.

The British army did use the Rifle Brigade and the RHA, RGA and RFA 'brigades' in Ireland. Their units were listed as 'regiments', but their were actually the size of infantry battalions (the RHA were dismounted) and used as such. The same holds true with the cavalry regiments.
    • Military/Police Barracks

(Aldborough Barracks)--Aldborough Place & Portland Row--Site of Fenian attack in 1893. Seems to have been closed around 1894.

Arbour Hill Barracks--Across from Royal Barracks--Situated north across Arbour Hill St., near the Military Prison, with the Arbour Hill (Military) Cemetery in-between.

Beggars Bush Barracks--Beggars Bush--Site of Army Pay Office in WWI. Turned over to ADRIC for Depot in July 1920; 1st barracks turned over to the Free State.

Dublin Castle--Dublin Castle--Seat of Britain's Irish Government.

Island Bridge Barracks--South Circular--Renamed Clancy Barracks.

King’s Inn--Constitution Hill--Used as a British army HQ in War of Independence.

Linenhall Barracks--Constitution Hill--Immediately south of King's Inn.

Magazine Fort--Phoenix Park

Marlborough Barracks--Blackhorse Avenue--Renamed McKee Barracks.

(Pigeon House Fort)--South Wall--1814–97, apparently became electric station; attacked with dynamite in 1893. Seems to have been converted around 1894.

Portobello Barracks--Rathmines--Renamed Cathal Brugha Barracks.

Richmond Barracks--Kilmainham--Renamed Keogh Barracks.

Royal Barracks--SW Temple & Benburb St.--Renamed Collins Barracks.

RIC Depot & Barracks--South of Marlborough Barracks, off North Circular Road. Sometimes called 'Phoenix Park RIC Depot'.

Ship Street Barracks--Located on south side at the Castle. There was also a DMP station or barracks nearby. Of course, both the DMP and the RIC were headquartered at the Castle, with the Chief-Commissioner of the DMP (Edgeworth-Johnstone) and the Deputy Inspector-General, RIC (Davies-1916-20 & Walsh-1920-22), having offices there.

• Military Hospitals in Dublin

King George V Royal Military Hospital--complex at Arbour Hill

Royal Military Infirmary--Montpellier Hill.

Royal Military Hospital (Female)--Montpellier Hill (just across the road).

Isolation Hospital--Montpellier Hill

Portobello Military Hospital--at the barracks.

Special Surgical Hospital--I don't have a location for this.

Dispersal Hospital--I don't have a location for this.

There were also large military hospitals at:

The Curragh Military Camp (Co. Kildare), the HQ of the 5th Infantry Division and of The Cavalry Brigade;

The Central Cork Military Hospital in Cork City, which also housed the HQ of the 6th Infantry Division;

The Ulster Volunteer Force Hospital in Belfast, HQ of 1st Infantry Division, founded on Lord Craigavon’s estate.

There were also military hospitals at Armagh, Athlone, Belfast, Dundalk, Enniskillen, Galway, Holywood, Londonderry, Longford, Mullingar, Newry, Omagh and Tipperary.

Most of these were caring for the few soldiers and families of the Depots of the Irish regiments of the British army (almost all of whose battalions were deployed, to get them out of Ireland).

RIC Depot and Barracks Infirmary--there was a small infirmary run by the Surgeon to the Force, Dr Pryce Peacock (1914-22), who had the effective rank of a county inspector.

There were no other medical officers in the RIC, the force was looked after by 'Medical Attendants of the Royal Irish Constabulary’, who were contract physicians who looked after the men and their families--wives and children under 16. The DMP were cared for through a similar system, but did not include family care.

Cheers,
    Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Hospitaller View Post

Linenhall Barracks--Constitution Hill--Immediately south of King's Inn.
      Photo attached. I'm not sure if this was part of the barracks, but its the only original building left on that block, now a health centre.
      (Pigeon House Fort)--South Wall--1814–97, apparently became electric station; attacked with dynamite in 1893. Seems to have been converted around 1894.
      From the poor drawings I've seen of this, I suspect it was essentially a sea battery.
      Royal Barracks--SW Temple & Benburb St.--Renamed Collins Barracks.
      That is Temple Street West.
      RIC Depot & Barracks--South of Marlborough Barracks, off North Circular Road. Sometimes called 'Phoenix Park RIC Depot'.
      This is, of course, now Garda HQ, which had been in the Royal Hospital Kilmainham for some period in the 1920s-1960s, when HQ moved to the park and the training depot to Templemore.

Ship Street Barracks--Located on south side at the Castle. There was also a DMP station or barracks nearby.
      I wonder if these were one and the same. This was also the DMP depot.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Victor; 13 June 2010, 21:45.
      Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

I hadn't seen the post saying that Linenhall barracks was just south of the King's Inns.

I had a look at google earth, because DIT Linenhall (part of DIT Bolton Street) is literally beside the King's Inns.

Here's the screenshot. Above the yellow line is the King's Inns building and green area. Below it, you can see one of the streets named Linenhall Terrace.

The building I've outlined in yellow is the DIT building called Linenhall. It's pretty old and grotty (hate doing exams in there) so I'd be surprised if there wasn't some connection.

Edit: it would help if I attached the screenshot!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by johnny no stars; 3 January 2009, 03:08.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
        Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
        Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
        Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

I was about to suggest that it was much smaller, but here is says it was about 2.25 acres (imagine a space 100x90m)

Between 1910 and 1940 Dublin's suburbs grew considerably. For the first time, planned suburbanization of the working classes became a stated policy, with new and idealistic schemes such as Marino, Drumcondra and Crumlin being built. At the same time, private speculative development was continuing at the edges of the city, where individual builders, such as Alexander Strain, often had a major impact on the layout and style of the suburbs. The extent of the interaction between State, local authority, public utility societies and private speculators suggests that a development continuum existed rather than a strict division between public and private development. This was also a period when the modern town planning movement and evolving ideas about citizenship in the new State impacted on the shaping of the city. Many of the formative decisions that came to shape the modern low-rise, low-density city were taken at this time. The story of Dublin's development in the period from 1910 to 1940 covers a time of major political and social change in Ireland. The book is illustrated with maps and photographs. (Series: The Making of Dublin)
          Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

right, when I'm next in college I can take a picture?

The building I'm thinking of , you can't get into it without going through an arch and beside the arch it has a gatehouse and there's sheds, well, more like shelters like the ones in McKee that people park their bikes under that initially reminded me of McKee which is why it stuck out in my head.

Powers.. Of.. description... useless.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
            Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
            Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
            Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

The Ship St Barracks is the building in Dublin castle currently used as the HQ of the Revenue Comissioners, which also appears on its logo.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Next time in dublin i intend to visit dublin castle is there tours etc..

Comment

I recently discovered there is a Revenue Museum there.....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

UPDATE:
                    Here is some new information (based on Ordnance Survey Map of Dublin, 1893-1913):

Arbour Hill Barracks--Across from Royal Barracks--Probably Arbour Hill Detention Barracks or the Barracks for the troops guarding it.

Linenhall Barracks--Constitution Hill--Immediately south of King's Inn (according to the Ordance Survey Map).

Marshalsea Barracks--Marshalsea Lane--Originally the debtors’ prison.

Montepelier Hill Barracks (RAMC)--Infirmary Road--Across from Royal Isolation Hospital & Ordnance Stores; basically the barracks for the RAMC personnel at the hospitals there.

Ship Street Barracks--Located on south side at Castle--On the west side of the Castle garden; the DMP Barracks located on east side of garden.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
                      I hadn't seen the post saying that Linenhall barracks was just south of the King's Inns.

I had a look at google earth, because DIT Linenhall (part of DIT Bolton Street) is literally beside the King's Inns.

Here's the screenshot. Above the yellow line is the King's Inns building and green area. Below it, you can see one of the streets named Linenhall Terrace.

The building I've outlined in yellow is the DIT building called Linenhall. It's pretty old and grotty (hate doing exams in there) so I'd be surprised if there wasn't some connection.

Edit: it would help if I attached the screenshot!
                      The south facade of the barracks was on Lisburn Street.

Comment

Beggars Bush seems to have been the Main HQ during the Anglo Irish War. Its no longer a Barracks. Govt Stationary office used to reside there I think.
                        Print Museum, Geological Survey and Labour Court are in there also, the latter two in an awful 1970s building.

Completely off topic, but is it possible to figure out what Irish regiment would have been in NW India (Hindu Kush) in the 1937-38 period from the Army lists?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          I recently discovered there is a Revenue Museum there.....
                          And the Gardia museum beside it

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                            Next time in dublin i intend to visit dublin castle is there tours etc..
                            all day! think the first is at 9.30 or 10 am

Comment

Maps
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Victor; 23 February 2009, 00:21.

Comment

linenhall

the linenhall was in the liberties. dont think it was a barricks it was used for meeting.
                                it was opposite Mother Red Caps
                                Barracks in Dublin
                                A pet of mine (pre 1922)
                                we can break military establishments down into
                                barricks for troops Forts, ordnance stores hospitals and welfare
                                I attach a small amout at the moment It is a work in progress.

I am puting to gether a list province by provience
                                The OPW have sold off a lot of land and properties over the years
                                any help on this is appreciated
                                q.s
                                Sgts 3

Comment

Working...
                                X