Dublin Barracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dublin Barracks

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of Dublin barracks / military installations over the (more recent) centuries?

I saw a reference during the week to Richmond Barracks in Inchicore / Kilmainham. It subsequently became Keogh Barrack, but was quickly sold off after independence.

State Lands Act 1924 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/gen461924a.html

I know of (clockwise)
    • Dublin Castle
    • Pigeon House Fort
    • Loughlinstown Camp Field
    • Beggars Bush
    • Cathal Brugha (Portobello)
    • Griffith (Wellington, formerly site of an asylum)
    • Keogh (Richmond)
    • Royal Hospital (used later as Garda HQ, before training was moved to Templemore in 1964)
    • Clancy (Island Bridge)
    • Magazine Fort (Phoenix Park)
    • Collins ("The Barracks" - was there another name?)
    • St. Bricins, Arbour Hill (Royal Barracks)
    • McKee (Marlborough)
    • Marlborough House (North Strand, RIC or BA?)

Its odd that there was no defence north / east of McKee (also Marlborough Barracks, Cabra) after Marlborough House (North Strand) closed. Having both Marlborough House and Marlborough Barracks seems confusing.

There were recruiting stations at 23, 24 and 25 Pearse Street (Brunswick Street (South)) and 14-15 (now) Upper O'Connell Street (Upper Sackville St.).

There were minor defences at various points including Dalkey Island, Dalkey Hill, Dun Laoghaire Harbour and the Martello Towers.

The RAF had airfields at, I think, Collinstown (Dublin Airport), Baldonnell (Casement) and Tallaght.

The Coastguard had (minor) barracks at least in Dalkey and The Baily in Howth.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Collins Barracks was know as Royal Barracks prior to 1922.

Comment

Originally posted by B Inman
      Collins Barracks was know as Royal Barracks prior to 1922.
      Ah, presumably it was the whole Collins / St. Bricins / Arbour Hill complex then.
      Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Gormanston was a former RAF base was it not?
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Reading the last link posted by Victor, it seems some of these lands were leased for a period of 99 yrs, so does that mean they are still owned by the state
          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus
            Gormanston is over the border in Meath.

Originally posted by Odin_ie
            Reading the last link posted by Victor, it seems some of these lands were leased for a period of 99 yrs, so does that mean they are still owned by the state
            Possibly. The freehold may have been sold off later. Part of the site was later sold for a school (see link) and the rest seems to be the St. Michael's Estate (redevelopment proposed). The Act was later repealed (STATE PROPERTY ACT, 1954), but the leases were unaffected.

Originally posted by Victor
            • Marlborough House (North Strand, RIC or BA?)
            My mistake. This is Aldborough House, which was used as a Crimean era army barracks. Subsequently used by post & telegraphs and (part) sold to Dublin Corporation under the STATE PROPERTY ACT, 1954.

Marlborough House is on Marlborough Street, off O'Connell Street and was also used as an industrial school and then by post & telegraphs (hence my confusion). It is now the Department of Education and Science. The only military connection I know is in the film Michael Collins, this is where prisoners from the GPO are taken to immediatly, to then be moved first to Richmond Barracks and then the adjacent Kilmainham Gaol. Of course, the Michael Collins film used Grangegorman hospital as a set, so "Marlborough House" was actually at the Richmond Hospital.

Small world + mind boggles at the repeat use of names.
            Last edited by Victor; 28 November 2005, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus
              As already pointed out, it's in Co. Meath.

It was built as a training base in 1917-1918. During the War of Independence it was a major logistics base; after it ended it became a transit site for the Black and Tans on their way home.
              "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Originally posted by Victor
                Ah, presumably it was the whole Collins / St. Bricins / Arbour Hill complex then.

Don't know about St Bricins (it was built at a much later date) but Arbour Hill Prison was built as a Military Prison and was only handed over to the Dept of Justice in the early 1970,s. The barracks and the prison were linked by an underpass/tunnel long since bricked up. The entrance on the Barracks side had a faded sign over the archway which read "No horse-drawn transport foot traffic only".

Comment

Royal Hibernian Military School (now St. Mary's Hospital, Phoenix Park), not a military establishment as such, but at one point had 80% of students joining up.

Comment

Keogh Barricks (Richmond) is referred in the above seanad debate as KEHOE barricks..... so which one is it then??? All the OS maps from the 1920's and the 1943 revisions refer to it as Keogh barricks and Keogh square, but in the debates of 1924 it's continously referred to as KEHOE barricks.... presumably hte seanad debates are correct?? Also they date from the end of July 1924, the decision had been made to sell the barricks in early June of the same year by WT cosgrave, the president of the executive council.... He is referred to in these dabates, not by name, with regard to Beggers Bush Barricks and why it hadn't been renamed.... what do they mean by:

'When I inquired recently from the military authorities why it had not so far got the honour of baptism I took it from the very apologetic tone in which I was answered that they were waiting for the honour of the President of the Executive Council being shot or of surrendering his life for the benefit of his country in some other way'

????

Comment

Some pics from old maps.

The black and white map dates from about 1750, the other 1918. Interesting that there was an Artillery Ground in the Royal Barracks - would this have been a range? Slightly worrying in a built up area.

From the Luas at Davitt road, you can get a good view of what was Richmond Barracks, its mostly open and you can see the gym at the far end.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Victor; 31 January 2008, 23:46.

Comment

What about the Martello Towers ?

Are you omitting by design places where soldiers drilled ? For example Trinity and UCD and all the LDF/FCA posts around the county.

There's also Swords and Dun Laoghaire [ recently vacated ] and the Don inside the county boundary.
                        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

St bricins was later named King George V hospital till after the truce.

Gormanston was a black and tan camp as well as holding POW's during WW2, ever see the nazi flying patch in the pte's mess?
                          Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

Phoenix Park Magazine Fort:

"Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

St bricins was later named King George V hospital till after the truce.
                              I'd say it was named St Bricins after independence, and the Hospital was probably called King George V hospital from day 1. I'd be interested in hearing the story behind the place.
                              "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
                              Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X