Irish DF EOD on US TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish DF EOD on US TV

Yesterday at work, one of the TV's was tuned to the A&E channel. Early in the afternoon, a show called "Inside Story" was featuring EOD teams from around the world (in this timeslot the show would be a rerun, not sure when it first aired.)

The show interviewed a LTC Kelleher (head of EOD?) and "embedded" with the Dundalk based EOD team. They showcased their equipment and went on a mission (obviously staged for the cameras or for training.)
    Equipment highlighted included the bombsuits, some tools and of course the robot. They talked with members of the Mobile Security Group who provided perimeter security for the team. The EOD team demonstrated the capabilities of the robot at a suspicious roadside parcel. After the robot "demolished" the parcel an EOD tech inspected the remains of it. The tech was a Commandant D, apparently the team commander. I thought it a bit weird that the team commander was doing the tech work, perhaps this was for the cameras?

Anyway, I was pleasantly suprised to see the Irish DF being featured on A&E, and to hear some awful Dundalk accents (cross between some knackered bagpipes and a cat being strangled !) IIRC the other EOD teams featured were from Metro Miami, Israel (looked to be real missions that were filmed) and Spain.

Later.
    Last edited by strummer; 26 January 2006, 18:43.
    No-one, I think, is in my tree...

The spooky bit is when they have the sirens blaring on the way back to barracks. :wink:
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Don't know about the DF but in the British Army it is always the ATO (Ammo Tech Officer) - an officer - who puts on the suit and goes on a lonely walk.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
        Don't know about the DF but in the British Army it is always the ATO (Ammo Tech Officer) - an officer - who puts on the suit and goes on a lonely walk.

Not sure about US Army but in the Marine Corps, there are no officers as such in EOD - only Warrant Officers and LDO's (Limited Duty Officers - basically a Warrant Officer on steroids - one who has several years WO experience then becomes a Capt - max they can go to is LtCol).
        "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Strummer

How recent was the films

I served with a Lt COl Kelleher, great bloke altogether top notch eod head

How awful were the dundalk heads ( its never a question of were they awful but simply how awful)

Regards
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Having being present at a real EOD investigation,[don't ask, it turned out to be a hoax] I can tell you that the ossifer does almost all of the really scary stuff.......
            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The Army EOD crowd we ran into in Iraq tended not to worry about rank. They just alternated the walk.

NTM
              Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Its usually the ossifer who has to go looking for "blinds" on a mortar or grenade shoot too, in my experience.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

yes i remember that one goldie after a certain dingus forgot to pull the pin. And the couldn't tell the officer wheter he puleed it at all or only half way.
                  Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco
                    yes i remember that one goldie after a certain dingus forgot to pull the pin. And the couldn't tell the officer wheter he puleed it at all or only half way.
                    And god was he pissed to have to go out there for that. Its ok though. He got to fire again.
                    Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                    Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                    do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Hi there
                      I had two failed bombs in a row on an FCA mortar shoot.Once we had taken them out of the barrel, in their turn, the EOD officer blew them apart with what appeared to be C4. He then burnt the rest of the packet.He was absolutely as calm as still water, whilst a few of our lot were doing the headless chicken.
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

That happened on the 81 shoot i did in the glen in 2004. Wasn't a mortar though. One on the f.a.r. guns misfired. There was some bang off of it when the ossifer blew it up.
                        Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                        Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                        do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog
                          Strummer

How recent was the films

I served with a Lt COl Kelleher, great bloke altogether top notch eod head

How awful were the dundalk heads ( its never a question of were they awful but simply how awful)

Regards

I didn't get a date on it, but it appeared to be relatively recent, certainly within the last couple of years.

All in all, the DF came off pretty well in the show. Obviously some of them were slightly uncomfortable being on camera and some were "hamming" it up and loving it. The staged incident was a little cheesy but that's not a slight on the EOD team.

As far the Dundalk Mobile Security folks......after analysing it, I think the corporal was telling onlookers to put away all cameras, turn off all radios and cell phones....but it sounded like...

"Urrrrrggggghhh wwwwrrrrrrryyyyyggggh ffffllllmmmmmmmgggg"

Later.
                          No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

That programme was filmed in Dundalk about 4 years ago. I remember it being filmed at the time.

Comment

Nice to see some one on thread
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X