No announcement yet.

Agusta Westland AB139 for Irish Air Corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heard the 149 being mentioned as well,is there much difference between it and the 139 besides the beefier u/c
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

Comment

• The AW149 is a 7.5 tons multi-role battlefield helicopter designed to fulfil the needs demanded by tomorrow's military operators.

Applications

BATTLEFIELD SUPPORT

The large, unobstructed cabin and baggage compartment provides the capability to accommodate up to 16 troops or 12 fully equipped soldiers. With the external cargo hook, up to 2720 kg / 6000 lb of heavy equipment can be transported to the battlefield. Two large sliding cabin doors and 12.4 m3 of internal cargo space offer exceptional transport capability.

COMMAND AND CONTROL

The spacious cabin gives the command staff an unprecedented workspace for C3 dedicated equipment and for 2 workstations.

MEDICAL EVACUATION

The 3 m long by 2.26 m wide and 1.45 high cabin provides the capability to accommodate 2 to 6 stretchers leaving enough space for 4 attendants and in-flight medical care equipment.

SEARCH AND RESCUE - CSAR

For Combat Search And Rescue missions a rescue hoist and other specific mission equipment and armaments can be provided. CSAR crew concept envisages 2 pilots plus 2/4 crewmembers.

It appears to be a Military version of the 139 with 12-15 troops transport capability
      Theirs not to make reply,
      Theirs not to reason why,
      Theirs but to do and die:
      Into the valley of Death
      Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

• the 139 as supplied to us can take 12 in normal seats and 15 in the high density seating. i've only seen the normal seating yet but there's loads more elbow room compared to the al3 or dauphin and on crash seats to boot. like i said earlier is there any major difference to the 149 or is it just a name change 'cos of the paint job. the agusta web site gives damn all info
        Last edited by spike; 2 December 2006, 22:19.
        It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

Comment

• I think the HD is similar to the A3 setup that promises 3 seats up front....Three rows of 5, with front row facing to the rear.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by spike View Post
            the 139 as supplied to us can take 12 in normal seats and 15 in the high density seating. i've only seen the normal seating yet but there's loads more elbow room compared to the al3 or dauphin and on crash seats to boot. like i said earlier is there any major difference to the 149 or is it just a name change 'cos of the paint job. the agusta web site gives damn all info
            I am confused.previous posts here and articles on the subject stated that each Aw-139 was to carry a section of eight troops.Add two door gunners/loadies and a pilot and co-pilot and you get a total of 12 personnel.Where is the figure of fifteen coming from??:confused:
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• There are two seating layouts available with the AB139 - the 12 seats was specified in the tender (tactical), the 15 seat (VIP style) was also delivered.

Comment

• Thats cleared that up .thanks
                Does anybody know if the new helis can carry al the bergans for said section.I assume they go in the cargo compartment at the back at the cabin yeah?
                Also in the An cosantoir article about the new helis (june 2005) the idea was for daysacks to be stored at soldiers feet while on board.has this changed as if you look at what is written on the back on the troop seats it kinda rules that out.
                Last edited by apod; 3 December 2006, 13:24.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• in todays sunday indo the minister for defence stated the option for the next two helis has been approved by gov bringing total of AB139's to 6 for AC.

as a matter of interest with the seating in these helis

1. are the tactical and VIP seats interchangeable or are they permanently fixed in place?

2. if they are interchangeable does each heli come with both options?

3. how many helis will have the tactical configuration and how many the VIP?
                  An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• in todays sunday indo the minister for defence stated the option for the next two helis has been approved by gov bringing total of AB139's to 6 for AC.
                    YAY!
                    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                      in todays sunday indo the minister for defence stated the option for the next two helis has been approved by gov bringing total of AB139's to 6 for AC.

as a matter of interest with the seating in these helis

1. are the tactical and VIP seats interchangeable or are they permanently fixed in place?

2. if they are interchangeable does each heli come with both options?

3. how many helis will have the tactical configuration and how many the VIP?
                      1: I do believe it's a quick change capability, you can remove one and insert the other pretty quickly

btw, I'd be more then happy, if the Gov just bought an Ec-135 in VIP configuration and just left the AC with the 2 135's and 6 139's alone
                      Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

• The majority of aircraft seating arrangements are interchangable. I understand there is also an air ambulance kit available for the AW139.(By Lifeport USA)

Founded in 1990 and headquartered in Woodland, Washington, USA. LifePort is the global leader in design, manufacturing, certification, and integration of aerospace solutions, including air medical, armor, and customized cabinetry and interiors.

Good news on the options being exercised(if it is indeed the case).

Comment

• Originally posted by mutter nutter View Post
                          1: I do believe it's a quick change capability, you can remove one and insert the other pretty quickly

btw, I'd be more then happy, if the Gov just bought an Ec-135 in VIP configuration and just left the AC with the 2 135's and 6 139's alone
                          That sounds like a very good idea indeed.:wink:

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                            Thats cleared that up .thanks
                            Does anybody know if the new helis can carry al the bergans for said section.I assume they go in the cargo compartment at the back at the cabin yeah?
                            Also in the An cosantoir article about the new helis (june 2005) the idea was for daysacks to be stored at soldiers feet while on board.has this changed as if you look at what is written on the back on the troop seats it kinda rules that out.

I know its been mentioned here in the past but the cargo hold is quite spacious. I assume a procedure will be put in place to deploy a section from a heli and give them their bergens too.
                            I assume a similar drill is in place with the mowags.

Note: if there is there is no need to tell all about it here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              I know its been mentioned here in the past but the cargo hold is quite spacious. I assume a procedure will be put in place to deploy a section from a heli and give them their bergens too.
                              I assume a similar drill is in place with the mowags.

Note: if there is there is no need to tell all about it here.
                              There is.
                              Just a simple question.I dont believe it contravenes opsec.

Comment

• Well I can then assume the drill will be modified so the same can be done while exiting a heli.

The hold is pretty big.

I posted it somewhere here some time ago....I could go looking for it, but you know yourself etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X