Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think if you have a hard landing hitting the FLIR will be the least of your worries!

Seriously though, I don't know what size the FLIR ball will be but I'm sure there's enough clearance up to a certain descent speed.

IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation Photographs
    http://www.irishairpics.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Great photos. I'm surprised to see that the pilot is not wearing his helmet while flying - would think that this is a safety issue.
    There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyrdf View Post
    Thats a nic pic of the GPMG mount, thought it would have been handier to arm the pilot with a sidearm....then again maybe that man isn't a pilot but another gunner/loadie?

Hes the gunner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I think if you have a hard landing hitting the FLIR will be the least of your worries!

Seriously though, I don't know what size the FLIR ball will be but I'm sure there's enough clearance up to a certain descent speed.
    Its set up for a FLIR 8500(EC135 has options for Ultraforce 2)

Turret Size 9.0" dia. x 13.5" h (22.9 x 34.3 cm)
    Turret Weight 29 lbs (13 kg)
    Field of Regard 360º continuous in azimuth and elevation
    Slew Rates .02º to 65º both axes
    Stabilization Fiber-optic gyro-stabilization

http://www.flir.com/imaging/Airborne...Ultra8500.aspx

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Goldie Fish.

Great videos on that site

Do you know if the FLIR the AC are getting includes the Laser Pointer. It's a wicked accesory.
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Post Thanks / Like
    heard the 149 being mentioned as well,is there much difference between it and the 139 besides the beefier u/c
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

Post Thanks / Like

The AW149 is a 7.5 tons multi-role battlefield helicopter designed to fulfil the needs demanded by tomorrow's military operators.

Applications

BATTLEFIELD SUPPORT

The large, unobstructed cabin and baggage compartment provides the capability to accommodate up to 16 troops or 12 fully equipped soldiers. With the external cargo hook, up to 2720 kg / 6000 lb of heavy equipment can be transported to the battlefield. Two large sliding cabin doors and 12.4 m3 of internal cargo space offer exceptional transport capability.

COMMAND AND CONTROL

The spacious cabin gives the command staff an unprecedented workspace for C3 dedicated equipment and for 2 workstations.

MEDICAL EVACUATION

The 3 m long by 2.26 m wide and 1.45 high cabin provides the capability to accommodate 2 to 6 stretchers leaving enough space for 4 attendants and in-flight medical care equipment.

SEARCH AND RESCUE - CSAR

For Combat Search And Rescue missions a rescue hoist and other specific mission equipment and armaments can be provided. CSAR crew concept envisages 2 pilots plus 2/4 crewmembers.

It appears to be a Military version of the 139 with 12-15 troops transport capability
    Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die:
    Into the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Post Thanks / Like
    the 139 as supplied to us can take 12 in normal seats and 15 in the high density seating. i've only seen the normal seating yet but there's loads more elbow room compared to the al3 or dauphin and on crash seats to boot. like i said earlier is there any major difference to the 149 or is it just a name change 'cos of the paint job. the agusta web site gives damn all info
    Last edited by spike; 2nd December 2006 at 22:19.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the HD is similar to the A3 setup that promises 3 seats up front....Three rows of 5, with front row facing to the rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spike View Post
    the 139 as supplied to us can take 12 in normal seats and 15 in the high density seating. i've only seen the normal seating yet but there's loads more elbow room compared to the al3 or dauphin and on crash seats to boot. like i said earlier is there any major difference to the 149 or is it just a name change 'cos of the paint job. the agusta web site gives damn all info
    I am confused.previous posts here and articles on the subject stated that each Aw-139 was to carry a section of eight troops.Add two door gunners/loadies and a pilot and co-pilot and you get a total of 12 personnel.Where is the figure of fifteen coming from??:confused:

Post Thanks / Like
    There are two seating layouts available with the AB139 - the 12 seats was specified in the tender (tactical), the 15 seat (VIP style) was also delivered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats cleared that up .thanks
    Does anybody know if the new helis can carry al the bergans for said section.I assume they go in the cargo compartment at the back at the cabin yeah?
    Also in the An cosantoir article about the new helis (june 2005) the idea was for daysacks to be stored at soldiers feet while on board.has this changed as if you look at what is written on the back on the troop seats it kinda rules that out.
    Last edited by apod; 3rd December 2006 at 13:24.

Post Thanks / Like
    in todays sunday indo the minister for defence stated the option for the next two helis has been approved by gov bringing total of AB139's to 6 for AC.

as a matter of interest with the seating in these helis

1. are the tactical and VIP seats interchangeable or are they permanently fixed in place?

2. if they are interchangeable does each heli come with both options?

3. how many helis will have the tactical configuration and how many the VIP?
    The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiqués are belated, insincere, incomplete.....It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure.We are to-day not far from a disaster.

T.E. Lawrence, 2 Aug 1920.

"Nice ass, Samson..." mutter nutter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    in todays sunday indo the minister for defence stated the option for the next two helis has been approved by gov bringing total of AB139's to 6 for AC.
    YAY!
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

"Nice ass, Samson..." mutter nutter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-RayOne View Post

as a matter of interest with the seating in these helis

1. are the tactical and VIP seats interchangeable or are they permanently fixed in place?

2. if they are interchangeable does each heli come with both options?

3. how many helis will have the tactical configuration and how many the VIP?
    1: I do believe it's a quick change capability, you can remove one and insert the other pretty quickly

btw, I'd be more then happy, if the Gov just bought an Ec-135 in VIP configuration and just left the AC with the 2 135's and 6 139's alone
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Post Thanks / Like
    The majority of aircraft seating arrangements are interchangable. I understand there is also an air ambulance kit available for the AW139.(By Lifeport USA)

http://www.iei.ie/uploads/Files/Engi...D_AIRCORPS.PDF

http://www.lifeport.com/lp_prod_helicopter.cfm

Good news on the options being exercised(if it is indeed the case).

Vmax
    Quote Originally Posted by mutter nutter View Post
    1: I do believe it's a quick change capability, you can remove one and insert the other pretty quickly

btw, I'd be more then happy, if the Gov just bought an Ec-135 in VIP configuration and just left the AC with the 2 135's and 6 139's alone
    That sounds like a very good idea indeed.:wink:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Thats cleared that up .thanks
    Does anybody know if the new helis can carry al the bergans for said section.I assume they go in the cargo compartment at the back at the cabin yeah?
    Also in the An cosantoir article about the new helis (june 2005) the idea was for daysacks to be stored at soldiers feet while on board.has this changed as if you look at what is written on the back on the troop seats it kinda rules that out.

I know its been mentioned here in the past but the cargo hold is quite spacious. I assume a procedure will be put in place to deploy a section from a heli and give them their bergens too.
    I assume a similar drill is in place with the mowags.

Note: if there is there is no need to tell all about it here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    I know its been mentioned here in the past but the cargo hold is quite spacious. I assume a procedure will be put in place to deploy a section from a heli and give them their bergens too.
    I assume a similar drill is in place with the mowags.

Note: if there is there is no need to tell all about it here.
    There is.
    Just a simple question.I dont believe it contravenes opsec.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I can then assume the drill will be modified so the same can be done while exiting a heli.

The hold is pretty big.

I posted it somewhere here some time ago....I could go looking for it, but you know yourself etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps, as all of the new helis are in a military colour the photo ops for the politicians in a military tactical aircraft would be limited if the photos in the media carried the a caption,

something like: " this aircraft bought for military transport only, this is not the government jet"

Better ideas for a caption for a politician in a "military helicopter" ?

POST THEM! The media who monitor this site may publish them with the photo.
    Last edited by B Inman; 4th December 2006 at 00:22.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Commrade Ahern touching down in the Air Corps new tactical transport helicopters to open supermarket in *******. The new helicopters are armed with GPMG door guns, plenty of protection for the leader of today"
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Well I can then assume the drill will be modified so the same can be done while exiting a heli.

The hold is pretty big.

I posted it somewhere here some time ago....I could go looking for it, but you know yourself etc.

Here we go. Cargo hold is 3.4 cu/m.

12 seat configuration

15 seat configuration.

Post Thanks / Like
    And you carry your Bergen on your lap......
    Time for another break I think......

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    And you carry your Bergen on your lap......
    problem solved!
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Thread Information