No announcement yet.

Agusta Westland AB139 for Irish Air Corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not posing, definitely the real deal. BTW, he' s a little offended. I believe he used the phrase, 'I didn't spend three weeks breathing like a rapist lugging that lump of metal around in the mud to be called a poser'!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scorpy View Post
      'I didn't spend three weeks breathing like a rapist lugging that lump of metal around in the mud to be called a poser'!

This has to be one of the best rebuttals i've seen.....
      "Why am I using a new putter? Because the last one didn't float too well." -Craig Stadler

Comment

• No bothers.

There seem to be quite a lot of Officers qualified to do jobs that they don't normally fulfill in the aircraft. Seems to be something to do with supervision and with a new and potentially snaggy discipline such as door gunnery, it pays to have a bit of rank on your side when you are trying to get things sorted out. Notwithstanding the fact that the vast majority of Officers in the Air Corps are pilots, they do get double tasked all the time. You are right, it really does make a difference to know what the intricacies of a job are so that you can understand the requirements and better support and manage those you supervise. So the bould Lt (Don't promote him, he'll get a big head!) there is breaking ground now, but I'm sure that there will be no lack of volunteers from all branches of the army and NS willing to have a crack at raining down several hundred rounds of BKPM from above.

Knowing how much training goes into the course in the UK and knowing equally that the course here is going to be just as tough, only the best will make it through. It's not just about being able to handle the weapon, prospective candidates will have to be proficient in ALL aspects of crewing the helicopter, including potentially winching.

BKPM = Bad Karma Per Minute (!)

Comment

• so is part of the door gunner training being made to watch full metal jacket, the door gunner bit, and then re enacting it "get some get some" ect ect

I kid I kid, because I care
          Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

• God, if I hear another quote from that film, I'll puke! Would be nice to see a DG badge or set of wings though....

Comment

• Originally posted by Scorpy View Post
              God, if I hear another quote from that film, I'll puke! Would be nice to see a DG badge or set of wings though....
              I fell ashamed now, I'm...sorry:redface:
              Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

• ....what about blairing the "ride of the valkyries" like out of apocalypse now?

Comment

• No, we'll leave that to the cops with their PA system on the 135! Can't wait to see the music that will inevitably be put to the air firing videos of the 139.... any guesses??

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin_ie View Post
                    Anybody know when the option on the other possible 2 helis has to exercised
                    The decision will be taken by the cabinet before budget day, which is the start of next month. All the signs are that it will be a yes.

I was lucky enough to get a ride in the AW139 today (I met Frank from irishairpics.com there, so he should have some pics soon, including air to air shots). It was great. The only other helis I've been in were the Allouette and a Russian one in Liberia. I was immediately struck by the smoothness of the, admitedly short, flight. I was also struck by how large the 139 is. The Allouette was placed beside it and the 139 really dwarfed it on the apron. Quite a sight. I sat in the cockpit with the chief pilot and he was good enough to explain some of the display things (I felt a bit like Homer Simpson saying `uh huh, uh huh, uh huh' and not having a clue what he was talking about. But I think the gist of what he was saying was that the 139 is, in technical terms, shit hot.) Quite an experience, I have to say and some nice pics for my private anorak collection.
                    www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

• Is that going to be in your paper tommorrow?

Comment

• Well, all the papers were there, so I imagine it'll be in all of them. But we're putting in four pics tomorrow with the story. Also, RTE were there, and it's somewhat disappointing there was nothing on their news website. I wonder if it was on the 6.1 or 9pm TV news? Joe O'Brien wasn't there, just a cameraman, unfortunately.
                        Last edited by Mick O'Toole; 29 November 2006, 00:12.
                        www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

• and some nice pics for my private anorak collection.
                          Would you like to post them in the Gallery on IMO?

Comment

• BTW Gaff, you ain't seen nuthin yet! They don't call me scorpy for no reason!

Bit disapointed that there was nothing on the news. Should be a nice shot in the Times tomorrow, took ages to get something different after everyone else was gone. Light was crap and weather was pretty dismal too. Nothing like a photo op to set the hounds amongst the hares tho!

Have to say, chuffed with the aircraft, gutted to lose the Alouettes (timescale?:confused: )

Should be interesting to see developments i.e. how long until they are broken by military ops.

Hope the army gets a kick out of them. Must be interesting to be a recruit and know no different when one of these turns up for your heli drills

Comment

• AW139 pictures, including some air to air

Hi Guys,

I was present at Baldonnel on Tuesday 28th November for the official unveiling of the new AW139 helicopters for the Irish Air Corps.

I was lucky enough to fly in one of the AW139's in the company of the Minister for Defence no less! I was also fortunate to get up for some air to air sessions with the AW139 as well.

Unfortunately poor light and bad weather didn't help things (ISO 800 and even 1600!), that and the fact that my IS got knocked off sometime during the evening didn't help matters.

Anyway, here's the best from the day, I think there's a good selection of piccies here, all feedback is welcome.

Large versions of these piccies can be found here:

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Frank.

-------------------------------------

IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation Photographs
                              http://www.irishairpics.com

Comment

• Some more piccies:

IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation Photographs
                                http://www.irishairpics.com

Comment

Working...
                                X