No announcement yet.

Agusta Westland AB139 for Irish Air Corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dunno Gttc, apparently one of said young bucks with just al3 experience showed up his more experienced seniors on the 139 'cos he had no pre conceptions about twin engine heli's
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

Comment

• as for hours building on the al3, the number of pilots still flying them has dwindled to single figures

Comment

• Hi Spike
        As an example, a senior pilot of my acquaintance was regraded on the Al.III,last year, after having come off the 135 list and is now on the 139. He was a bit puzzled at this change but didn't mind as it gave him more flight hours. Apart from all that, the organisation is a lot more mature now and is much more capable of absorbing the 139 into service, than it was in Dauphin days. Back then, it was amazing that the set-up even worked at all. I wish them luck and hope that the boots get their hearts desire to jump out of helicopters satisfied.
        Also, if the gunners do get a new badge, the unofficial motto of the old RAF gunners was "we aim, not to please".
        regards
        GttC

Comment

• Comment

• One of them was a captain?Mea culpa.I will have to bone up on my Air corps rank markings.:redface:
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
              One of them was a captain?Mea culpa.I will have to bone up on my Air corps rank markings.:redface:
              In fairness, from a distance, with Air Corps rank markings on green sliders
              (for aircrew overalls), the difference between a Lt and a Capt is hard to tell
              (one bar thinner than the other for an Lt)
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                In fairness, from a distance, with Air Corps rank markings on green sliders
                (for aircrew overalls), the difference between a Lt and a Capt is hard to tell
                (one bar thinner than the other for an Lt)
                hey all those air corps markings look crazy was chating to a bloke stripes and propellors and other such craziness and I spent more time trying to figure out what the hell they meant than talking to him.
                Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

• Agree with you there about senior pilots flying the al3, but it's mainly senior pilots keeping their hand in and a few guys still to convert to the 139

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                    Hi Spike
                    As an example, a senior pilot of my acquaintance was regraded on the Al.III,last year, after having come off the 135 list and is now on the 139. He was a bit puzzled at this change but didn't mind as it gave him more flight hours. GttC
                    Agree with you there it's mainly senior pilots keeping their hand in. and a few guys who have yet to convert to the 139,not junior by any means

Comment

• Air Corps helicopters to be deployed overseas?

Is it intended that the new helicopters will be deployed overseas at some stage?

Comment

• No
                        To labour intensive-

in that you have to bring maintance crew as well
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• White paper says no.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THOSE HELIS COST!!!

Jaysus, are you mad, we can't risk bringing them overseas. The paint might get scratched.
                            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• Not to mention tyre wear...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Probably the best way to stop them being used as MAT though....

Comment

Working...
                                X