No announcement yet.

Agusta Westland AB139 for Irish Air Corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was easily located from http://www.defence.ie/website.nsf/0/...?OpenDocument:

The Minister for Defence, Mr. Willie O’Dea, T.D., has today signed a contract for the purchase of four new helicopters for the Air Corps. The four Utility AB 139 Helicopters are being acquired from the Bell Agusta Aerospace Company at a cost of €49m including VAT and will be operated by the Air Corps in a general purpose military operational and training role. Two helicopters will be delivered in 2006 and the other 2 in 2007.
    Cannon to right of them,
    Cannon to left of them,
    Cannon in front of them
    Volley'd and thunder'd;
    Storm'd at with shot and shell,
    Boldly they rode and well,
    Into the jaws of Death,
    Into the mouth of Hell
    Rode the six hundred.

Comment

as joshua says etc....

AB 139 is a Utility Heli, not a Medium Utility Heli.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

What did the tender say? Anyway what i was driving at was WHEN in 2006 they are due to be delivered?
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Oh and read this one too.

Its amazing what the S***** F******* will do

They expect the first 2 in autumn this year and the second 2 summer 2007.I assume a decision will be made at that stage whether or not to exercise the option for a further 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
            as joshua says etc....

AB 139 is a Utility Heli, not a Medium Utility Heli.
            I agree also. We have some Utility heli's and some training heli's. The DF could do with some medium/heavy lift heli's like the Merlin.

Comment

Give it time andy
              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                I agree also. We have some Utility heli's and some training heli's. The DF could do with some medium/heavy lift heli's like the Merlin.
                Don't forget the fighter jets andy
                Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

I didnt back the fighter jets proposal

Still I wouldnt say No to some Saab Gripens or Eurofighter to meet our international obligations

Time for another "we need jets thread ?"

Comment

Do you want the mods to lay an egg?!?All that work in joing a thread to an older thread!!!lets stick to topic. Does anybody have the picture of the proposed paint scheme for the AB139's
                    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                      While talking about utility heli's would someone like to give reasons for and against the purchase of aircraft the size of Merlins, and how they could be utilised by the Aer Corp to their fullest capabilities on a daily basis bearing in mind the 139's are on the way.

Comment

mea culpa
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

i was only joking about the jets.

About the medium lift helis well... it would give the aircorps a major increase capability and be able to move a decent amount of soliders around the place. It would also mean we could provide a back up to SAR and help in any situation if need be. Medium lift heli's would be a god send for Irish soliders overseas and they could be deployed there too. Even though the white paper on defence contradicts this.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin_ie
                            Do you want the mods to lay an egg?!?All that work in joing a thread to an older thread!!!lets stick to topic. Does anybody have the picture of the proposed paint scheme for the AB139's
                            Look for a thread with the title "New helis: what colour" or something like that...

GREEN!

does nobody use the search function any more?

Comment

Goldie, what about modellers?

They need to know what shade of green to order for their decals......
                              If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

ab-139 decal (proposed):
                                Attached Files
                                Cannon to right of them,
                                Cannon to left of them,
                                Cannon in front of them
                                Volley'd and thunder'd;
                                Storm'd at with shot and shell,
                                Boldly they rode and well,
                                Into the jaws of Death,
                                Into the mouth of Hell