River class Patrol vessels..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogwatch View Post
    NS not unwilling to commit, it's DOD who put the kaibosh on any hope of a flight deck on a new class of OPV. All that is required is a flight deck (HIFR at a stretch note S92s don't have HIFR capability), the P31 experiment was too much as the helis were a specific Irish design, the equipment fitout for P31 as per AC requirements was far too high & never fully utilised (ship never had a requirement to be able to change out engines, etc; even though it was equipped to do so.
    So that's what that gantry crane in the hanger was for .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Helps had Irish spec not design. Sa 365 continues in service as do our own except the end user tried to make it something it could never be. Ironically the reason behind equipping a ship with a helo has long since passed and the role envisaged can now be filled by a UAV. Unless someone comes up with a very credible specific role NS vessels don't need to be helo capable.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
        So that's what that gantry crane in the hanger was for .
        No it wasn't . It was for storing sail boards and bikes
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

To be honest, the only role I see in any future for us needing helicopters is if we got a sudden epidemic of submarines...
          "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
          Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
          Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Introducing the Royal Navy's new Offshore Patrol Vessels

HMS Forth, HMS Medway & HMS Trent
            BAE systems commence construction on 3 OPVs.

Same as the vessels sold to Brazil

Comment

even if we dont need helis on vessels, surely it would make sense to have a multi role after deck that COULD be used for medium sized helis eg in disaster relief missions or long range HIFR SAR refuelling with CG but also for other tasks such as UAV launches AND cargo handling of ISO containers?

how much would the extra cost of aviation fuel containers, pumps, and deck strengthening cost?
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                even if we dont need helis on vessels, surely it would make sense to have a multi role after deck that COULD be used for medium sized helis eg in disaster relief missions or long range HIFR SAR refuelling with CG but also for other tasks such as UAV launches AND cargo handling of ISO containers?

how much would the extra cost of aviation fuel containers, pumps, and deck strengthening cost?
                Didn't someone on here say the new CG choppers can't utilise HIFR?

Comment

Not me, wouldnt know anything about private sector owned non state assets
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Didn't someone on here say the new CG choppers can't utilise HIFR?
                    Correct!!!!!

Comment

Oh...gawd.......

Comment

Not me, wouldnt know anything about private sector owned non state assets
                        And.................wouldn't it make sense to know?...................you know, before clogging up all the afterdeck with that sh1t that can't be used by the CG?

Comment

Originally posted by Herald View Post
                          And.................wouldn't it make sense to know?...................you know, before clogging up all the afterdeck with that sh1t that can't be used by the CG?
                          Who says that the contract will be renewed in 10 years or that the helis wont have a requirement for it in the future? the ship will last 2 - 3 whitepapers. better to have a capability than to try and retro fit it.

Comment

You have to build a ship around the proposed aircraft. Afterthoughts are a no-no. See HMS Blake, RFA Argus etc...
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                              You have to build a ship around the proposed aircraft. Afterthoughts are a no-no. See HMS Blake, RFA Argus etc...
                              you have to build it around a rough idea, so for example if you built an OPV with the space/weight to take a Merlin/Chinook, you are future-proofing it against pretty much every/any medium lift helicopter that will be built in the next 30 years.

i see the decision to build the new OPV class without a rudimentary/basic helicopter capability as spectacularly short-sighted - these vessels will be in service in 2050, and a lack of a flight deck means no counter-piracy/CT missions for the next 35 years... it means saying 'these are the requirements to do the job right now, and i have decided that they will be exactly the same, and the job will be exactly the same, when the NS's newest officer cadet is pushing for the COS job and when most of the people on this site will be either dead, or drooling into their Horlicks.

as one sorely missed from here used to say, steel is cheap and air is free.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                                Never heard of HMS Blake, laid down 1942, commissioned 1961, decommissioned 1979!!!! In fairness, helicopters were just about in service when she was built.

RFA Argus is a converted container ship that has seen operational service all over the world.
                                Last edited by DeV; 10 October 2014, 23:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X