Drydocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drydocking?

Just a thought, but any future Larger vessel may be curtailed in size by the fact that the normal drydock used by the Naval service in Cork Dockyard has a graving dock that measures 164.4m x 21.3m x 8.2m. A floating dock with a lift capacity of 2,000 tons is also available. Any vessel intending to use either of the above needs to be smaller than those dimensions. In Practice only smaller vessels such as the peacocks use the floating dock.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Typical. You go to buy a car / ship and find that its to big for the garage / drydock
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
      Just a thought, but any future Larger vessel may be curtailed in size by the fact that the normal drydock used by the Naval service in Cork Dockyard has a graving dock that measures 164.4m x 21.3m x 8.2m.)
      Those dimensions give loads of capacity for the future!

Comment

Just a thought, but any future Larger vessel may be curtailed in size by the fact that the normal drydock used by the Naval service in Cork Dockyard has a graving dock that measures 164.4m x 21.3m x 8.2m.
        What's wrong with Dublin?

Comment

It is not the Naval base to start with
          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoker

Goldie, before you waste valuable bandwith with your reply, he means as a drydock .

Comment

Originally posted by Stoker
              Just a thought, but any future Larger vessel may be curtailed in size by the fact that the normal drydock used by the Naval service in Cork Dockyard has a graving dock that measures 164.4m x 21.3m x 8.2m.
              How big are the Drydocks in Dublin?

As an aside, What would it take to get the Graving dock in Haulbowline operational? It is similar in size to that in Cork Dockyard..

Comment

Goldie I have set another IMO member the task of reserching that for the summer. but he has run into a staggering lack of info, it is complicated by the cassion floatin around which will have to be disposed of while new doors are built and installed assuming that there is no major damage to the cills ect
                BUt I reckon that sometime, somewhere there must be a survey of the damage , if there is not , then that is just more criminal neglect on behalf of sucessive goverments.
                "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Photo of the Graving dock in the basin(looking south)

Comment

How big are the Drydocks in Dublin?

As an aside, What would it take to get the Graving dock in Haulbowline operational? It is similar in size to that in Cork Dockyard..

The drydock in Dublin is over 200M long. We will never have a vessel so long that it would not fit in the graving dock in Rushbrook let alone Dublin, ( Emer is 65.2M LOA ).

It would make no sense to spend money on the disused dock in Haulbowline, Dublin and Rushbrooke are underused as it is, besides it would cost millions,new pumps,switch boards, electrical supply, transformers, valves and caissons are needed,the sill would need to be rebuilt as it would no longer provied a watertight seal, besides the capitol cost there would be a cost of tens of thousands just to operate and maintain it.
                    I think there are better ways to spend money like more bertage and crainage,you can never have enough of these!

Comment

Remember seeing afloating dock for sale somewhere recently...an option perhaps?
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but was Cork Dockyard not shut in the early 1990s? Also known as Verolme? Presumably there is something of it left?
                        "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
                        Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Verolme Cork Dockyard closed as a shipbuilding facility immediately following the construction there of L.E Eithne. However under different management and ownership, some Engineering and Ship repair work is carried out there.

Comment

Cheers.
                            "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
                            Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hi Goldie
                              What does "graving" mean?
                              regards
                              GttC

Comment

Working...
                              X