No announcement yet.

Drydocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually, given the sale and reuse of land, will Haulbowline be a viable base at all in twenty years when a 10-12 ship fleet including two 140m + vessels and an auxiliary becomes conceivable and desirable? With all the land it possesed in 1937 the admiralty still considered that it needed lots of work to be worth holding on to. Unless either economic apocalypse or a federal EU happens, your children are going to be considering going for a real navy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
      The Drydock in Appledore is 96meters by 12 meters by 6meters , too narrow for most of our ships and too short for the MRV. The last Dublin registered ship refitted at HW had an unfortunate experience, but if guarantees were given to just refit the ship and not torch it , I would be prepared to chance it to keep the work on the island and foster some brotherly feelings.
      They aren't ready up there yet for hugs from us. neither side.

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
        They aren't ready up there yet for hugs from us. neither side.
        Oh I'm sure they wouldn't mind the work if they could get it, I mean they're trying to get in on the 31 project as is.

Comment

• Thats british work. Worth more than free state work. Even the most diehard provo accepted dole from the crown.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
            Thats british work. Worth more than free state work. Even the most diehard provo accepted dole from the crown.
            Hey they don't mind taking Free State money for hospitals or that bloody bridge they want, I have no doubt they rip us off on the contract though.

Comment

• Haulbowline could always share space with a deep water Ringaskiddy terminal if expansion was needed.

Couple that to a new container shipping port facility and a new dual-carrigeway/motorway from Bloomfield interchange it sets the scene for some joined up mobility corridors!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                Oh I'm sure they wouldn't mind the work if they could get it, I mean they're trying to get in on the 31 project as is.
                They might write F the pope backwards somewhere on the ship.

Comment

• With the Port of Cork moving downstream, and the city quays making the transition from working dockside to waterfront apartments, with quayside visitors being visiting mini-liners and luxury yachts, the NS could maintain a secure berth near the city, should they act quickly. The space in the south quays where the old Power station is, used to regularly see oil tankers up to very recently. The old ford factory will remain commercial for many years to come, and closer to the city are Quays which often find foreign Naval visits, away from prying eyes and curious protesters. Its silos will be demolished soon. Fence it off, use the quays instead of the Oil Wharf.
                  Berthage for any size of current vessel, with plenty of room to swing.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• What are the realistic limits of Haulbowlone? And is this likely to happen? I think it is more likely that the brass will wake up when the vessel that will be one too many gets ordered

Comment

• From google maps, the entrance to the basin appears to be 29/29m wide
                      The now defunct drydock looks like its 27m wide if you remove the floating marina
                      Basin is roughly 200m long by 100m wide
                      again all taken from google maps
                      unless you are going to stack vessels side by side across the basin, there is limited space to tie up alongside.
                      If as mentioned the wasteland in the centre of the island is a toxic dump, then we can never hope to develop that side of the basin in any meaningful way.
                      Its a shame as we could expand the basin, or build more facilities to tie up alongside and probably build more training rooms and accomodation on it.
                      Last edited by morpheus; 24 January 2018, 10:04.
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• The Irish Steel site can be cleaned up, plans to do this we’re put on hold due to cost. The problem is that the plan is to Turn it into a public park. The navy could be left with nowhere to grow on Haulbowline before the department realizes it has to happen. The entire island needs to be naval property if an entirely new base isn’t to become necessary in the future.
                        Last edited by expat01; 24 January 2018, 12:49.

Comment

• Originally posted by expat01 View Post
                          The Irish Steel site can be cleaned up, plans to do this we’re put on hold due to cost. The problem is that the plan is to Turn it into a public park. The navy could be left with nowhere to grow on Haulbowline before the department realizes it has to happen. The entire island needs to be naval property if an entirely new base isn’t to become necessary in the future.
                          No longer on hold

The NS needs ownership of all the rest of the island (not sure if this is the case or not) then there would be probably enough space for an increase, probably not 12 vessels but not all should be there at the same time.

Open to correction but the reason it’s going to be a park is that you can’t build on that “land”. It isn’t actually land at all it is just waste that has been dumped into the sea and built up over time. I could be wrong about that.

Comment

• I remember seeing and posting a tender for the upgrade etc of berths in Haulbowline but can’t find it

Comment

• Originally posted by expat01 View Post
                              The Irish Steel site can be cleaned up, plans to do this we’re put on hold due to cost. The problem is that the plan is to Turn it into a public park. The navy could be left with nowhere to grow on Haulbowline before the department realizes it has to happen. The entire island needs to be naval property if an entirely new base isn’t to become necessary in the future.
                              Everything to the right of the road in the image is man made... didn't exist before the steel , so its all slag and waste.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X