Drydocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
    Babcock were happy to bump the delivery of one of the recent OPVs so they could finish parts for the UK aircraft carrier.
    From memory wasn't the issue that due to the Crash we put back the start of the order and they moved on to the Carrier work?

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
      So what is wrong with H&W? And again, how do you plan to pay for it? At a time when we can't afford to pay the troops sensibly?
      Capital investment and and pay related issues should ever be considered in the same sentence. People overlook that all public service workers too k the same pay cuts as the DF and that there is a restoration process in place.

Like building ships if we don't put capital investment projects in place to support ships, we won't have a navy for people to serve in!
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
        Although I would support a dedicated drydock is the basin not too shallow? Such a strategic asset must not only be able to take the current fleet but any future fleet such as the MRV. Looking at draught of ships like the BRP Tarlac (5.0m), HNLMS Rotterdam (6m), HMNZS Canterbury (5.6m) and that a meter or more should be left for the keel blocks then the available depth for the old graving dock might not be enough.

A possible alternative could be a floating dock, many of which are available 2nd hand at the moment for not a not of cash.
        The tidal rise and fall in the basin is about 3.6 / 4.0 meters. Drydocking at half tide + shouldn't be a problem . Using the flooded only mode would need examination of 5 meter + ship drafts, however it might not be a problem during neap tides . Overall the basin needs to be kept at optimal clearances, I remember only one basin dredge in my time. I'd imagine a good few cm's would be added to depths once the mud and jetsam are removed.
        A floating dock is possible but would need careful seabed siting with easy access for operators.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          To me it comes down to utilisation and staffing
          The former would come down to measurements, IMHO. Obviously if it isn't big enough, it is not going to be able to accommodate the forthcoming EPV, which will be the largest NS vessel yet
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• oh, great, I've even got a fellow MOD dragging the thread off topic, this is the DRYDOCKING thread.
            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Wait ten years and make Belfast the second naval base.

Only slightly joking.

Comment

• In all seriousness, even though we're all friends together now, and the past unpleasantness is a dim memory ("don't mention the war, Sybil"), would there not be serious security implications and risks to having a major "Free State / Fenian"* military asset undergoing a major refit in H&W over and above having it done in any other UK or European yard?

*Not my phrase, but undoubtedly how it would be looked on by those who might wish to bugger it up!
                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                  In all seriousness, even though we're all friends together now, and the past unpleasantness is a dim memory ("don't mention the war, Sybil"), would there not be serious security implications and risks to having a major "Free State / Fenian"* military asset undergoing a major refit in H&W over and above having it done in any other UK or European yard?

*Not my phrase, but undoubtedly how it would be looked on by those who might wish to bugger it up!
                  IMHO NI would be a bridge too far

Do Appledore do drydocking?

Comment

• Not unless you want to remove the mast and funnel every time the hull needs repainting.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      IMHO NI would be a bridge too far

Do Appledore do drydocking?
                      The Drydock in Appledore is 96meters by 12 meters by 6meters , too narrow for most of our ships and too short for the MRV. The last Dublin registered ship refitted at HW had an unfortunate experience, but if guarantees were given to just refit the ship and not torch it , I would be prepared to chance it to keep the work on the island and foster some brotherly feelings.

Comment

• Actually I have changed my opinion. It looks, that with the NS expanding, it would probably indeed be a good idea to reactivate the drydock.

Comment

• Graylion, this is the internet, don't you dare revise your opinion on the basis of strong evidence.

Comment

• When one looks on google maps at Haulbowline - what is the wasteland in the centre of the island intended for?
                            the bit that separates the actual Naval HQ from the basin and harbour facilities?

Also look how the defence forces land there was eroded over the years, loss of land on the main land, loss of the island (the powder magazine) loss of spike island and now a proposed public park adjacent to the countrys only naval base. FML
                            Last edited by morpheus; 23 January 2018, 12:11.
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                              When one looks on google maps at Haulbowline - what is the wasteland in the centre of the island intended for?
                              the bit that separates the actual Naval HQ from the basin and harbour facilities?

Also look how the defence forces land there was eroded over the years, loss of land on the main land, loss of the island (the powder magazine) loss of spike island and now a proposed public park adjacent to the countrys only naval base. FML
                              90% of all the 'wasteland' was the Former Ispat Irish Steel facility... The Drydock location is clearly visible.

So with all this information.. where else would you put a dry dock!!!

Quite straight forward actually.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                                When one looks on google maps at Haulbowline - what is the wasteland in the centre of the island intended for?

To be fair the opposite is the case. The Irish forces never had the Powder magazine as it had been rendered obsolete many years before. The NS have got back quayside space that was previously only used by civilian ships.
                                Spike island was inherited, and while useful as a training area, like every other closed barracks, required a maintenance staff that would be better employed elsewhere. As a prison it was far too large than any use the DF would have for it.
                                Off topic, on the foundation of the state we were gifted many barracks that only existed to defend the crown from the irish people. Coolmoney is only there because of Michael Dwyer and his activities during 1798. Many barracks around the country were built during that time period, to keep control over the natives.
                                Their spread, nationwide is impractical for a force not at war with its citizens.
                                The waste ground is the site of the former irish steel, and much of it remains a toxic dump.
                                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Working...
                                X