Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joining the RDF (for those with PDF service)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

personally its a ridiculas situation. since the 94 class of recruit of which i was and subsequent intakes are now coming to the end of their enlistment papers the old first line reserve is beginning to grow larger .my only requirement is to confirm my address once a year for which i get a gratuity , surely it can only be of benefit to amalgamate both groups to create one with more experience and enthusisiam . those who stay in will be an asset to whatever unit they join and would give real value for money
    Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

Joining the RDF (for those with PDF service)

just a quick question lads

i was a corporal in the fca left and joined the pdf , served for a FEW years and now i am out and signing back into the rdf my question is"" do i have to do recruits again"" since i bought myself out and it aint a transfer to reserves
      "Let no mans ghost come back to say my training let him down"

Comment

It varies from unit to unit. How long is it since you were in the FCA?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

9 years can still remember the screed though

Comment

i kinda went down the same route , you can go back into the rdf at your pdf rank, but might spend some time as a rec till they can get the paperwork through. least thats how it went for me . getting your old fca stripes back might be a whole diff story
            Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

Seeing as yourew just out sparky...I would say that they will take you back on..but can't say about your previous rank...pardon the pun..but a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then..
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

yeah i aint looking at stripes just yet i only left the pdf when i was in an acting rank so thats dam all it will be nice to be back to my old unit though

Comment

I know of a PDF Sgt who had to retire due to injury....3 years and 3 days later he joined the RDF and had to go through recruit camp.

I think theres a 3 year rule which dictates whether or not you can retain your rank..he missed out, by 3 days.

Comment

The "story" from DFR R.5:

Other Ranks
                    17 - 40 (with at least 1 years PDF service)
                    17 - 45 (if at least a PDF Sgt/PO immediately prior to discharge from PDF)

These personnel are taken on at the rank they last held in the PDF, if there is a vacancy in establishment or the next lowest rank there is a vacancy for.

Officers
                    Officers of the FLR (under the age of 55) may be assigned to the AR/NSR at the rank held on the last day of their service in the FLR, if there is a vancacy in establishment. This is like a transfer as far as I can see.

The following people cannot be accepted:
                    a person who has been discharged from the Defence Forces as a result of a
                    conviction by the civil power or as a result of sentence of discharge, discharge
                    with ignominy or penal servitude awarded by court-martial;

a person who, for misconduct or on the grounds or their service being no longer
                    required or being below Defence Forces physical standards has been discharged
                    from the Defence Forces, or a person who for misconduct or on medical grounds
                    has been discharged from the military, naval, air or police services of any other
                    country or state

Comment

"a person who, for misconduct or on the grounds or their service being no longer
                      required or being below Defence Forces physical standards has been discharged
                      from the Defence Forces, or a person who for misconduct or on medical grounds"

I'll say it again...this may not all ways be the case....
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

discharge with ignominy or penal servitude awarded by court-martial;
                        DeV, is that the new series of R5? I was under the impression that Penal Servitude had been abolished in the Defence Forces in early 1990s, strange to see it mentioned in a recent document.

Comment

Originally posted by SAM
                          DeV, is that the new series of R5? I was under the impression that Penal Servitude had been abolished in the Defence Forces in early 1990s, strange to see it mentioned in a recent document.
                          Sam, see Here...
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Cheers TD.

Comment

Have audiogram on Saturday lets hope all the start ups on alts. and M/E haven't ruined my hearing .
                              Last edited by sparky; 17 October 2006, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                                Seriously

do we keep our rank if we discharge and enlist into the RDF

and do we remain curent on all our weapons instructor status

and do we hold our seniroity
                                Thinking of taking the plunge Hedge?
                                To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Working...
                                X