No announcement yet.

Army blind to value of laser surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big surprise there!!! It will probably take until Willie O Dea is out of office!!!

I would like for him to ask about Colour-"blindness" As well. that would be also interesting because the DF are following the same line on this issue.

(ie Every other major Force allowing it and restricting it for certain jobs. Us, A blanket Ban.)
    I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Eyeballs

Lads,

I'm lined up for the surgery in the coming winter courtsey of Uncle Sam. They do the PRK for free for us but the Lasik is still "offside". Both procedures were outlawed for a few years when they first came out. The concern was the "repaired" eye was more easily damaged by trauma. The Navy and the USAF did a joint study and concluded PRK was acceptable as it does not materially change the physical structure of the eye whereas Lasik does. It is now offered by military hospitals with a typically extensive waiting list. The area of concern for the study was trauma and pressure differentials for pilots, divers and HALO parachutists, so the Lasik is still a bar to those activities.

Having said all of that, I know loads of people including heli pilots who had it done (paid for themsleves) and simply say nothing. When I spoke to my private opthamologist he was able to quote the studies right away, knew all about it. The DF need to fast track this given the large amount of literature available in the international community. As for those who have it done and apply for the forces, I say good luck to you and give it a go, mums the word.

Unrelated note: off for two weeks Annual Training for the final phase of Staff School...a nice 14 day stint of mind numbing reading and sitting in a room with some of the dumbest Majors in the US Army.......A

Comment

Originally posted by Pod View Post
        I know its a bit late -but who came up with the title for this thread?
        The title came from an article in the Irish edition of "The Times" a number of years ago.

Comment

Gah, stupid put-dated rule with no real purpose in even being there...

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
            Big surprise there!!! It will probably take until Willie O Dea is out of office!!!

I would like for him to ask about Colour-"blindness" As well. that would be also interesting because the DF are following the same line on this issue.

(ie Every other major Force allowing it and restricting it for certain jobs. Us, A blanket Ban.)

I agree. that one should be abolished too. Even if only a day. I'd love to see someone who can't differentiate between shades of colour try to put on cammo. Endless hours of wild hillarity await us all.

I had lasik done on both eyes 6 months ago. My eyes healed perfectly. I had perfect vision 2 months after and have ever since. No real side effects anymore. the first few weeks were uncomfortable . I find it hard to think that it made such a big difference to me but my quality of life has deffinatly improved since. I would reccommend it to anyone and everyone who is considering it.
            Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
            Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
            do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Deputy Peter Kelly asked the Minister for Defence when he expects to receive the report from the Defence Forces reviewing its policy on laser eye surgery particularly as it applies to persons applying to join the Defence Forces; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [25539/08]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Willie O’Dea): The position is that there are a number of physical and medical standards laid down by the Military Authorities for entry to the Defence Forces. These requirements are based on the professional advice of the Medical Corps and having regard to the nature of the job, the duties of military service and the training exercises undertaken by members of the Defence Forces.

The Medical Corps regularly reviews the medical standards for entry to The Defence Forces. The question of the suitability for military service of persons who have had laser surgery to correct their visual acuity is complex, because it depends among other factors on the exact type of surgery and on the amount of visual correction effected. I have asked the Military Authorities to report to me specifically on the issues relating to laser eye treatments and I will review the vision requirement in light of that report.

I have been advised that the report will take some time to complete in the light of the complexity of the issues arising. I anticipate that the report will be presented to me later this year.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I see this story featured in "The Star" the other day.

More spies on IMO ???

And no, it wasn't written by our board member....
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Hi all,

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but can anyone tell me if getting laser surgery after have joined the army (PDF or RDF) is allowed? Is it only those who have already had the surgery performed before applying to join that are screwed?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by paulie13 View Post
                    Hi all,

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but can anyone tell me if getting laser surgery after have joined the army (PDF or RDF) is allowed? Is it only those who have already had the surgery performed before applying to join that are screwed?

Cheers

Get it done and say nothing to any doctor etc. when doing your medical.There will be no problem with it. I dont know if there is anything in DFRs etc. about it, but from personnel exprience it is not a problem but in fact a massive advantage to the individual.

Comment

The DF operate a very shortsighted approach to Laser SUrgery

I can see in the distant future it becoming allowed

but until they will continue to make a spectacle of themselves

now if only someone would contact lens manufacturers and

get them to put pressure on the DF
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

You're only scratch proofing the surface there Hedge. If you took off your rose tinted glasses you would be able to see more clearly.

Your horn rimmed concave view is not justified.

Comment

Originally posted by paulie13 View Post
                          but can anyone tell me if getting laser surgery after have joined the army (PDF or RDF) is allowed? Is it only those who have already had the surgery performed before applying to join that are screwed?
                          Laser surgery leaves (when it is healed) a tiny bit of scarring on the surface of the eye - how bad depends on how good your optometrist was. Usually it is difficult for an optician to tell you have had it done but not impossible.

An army medic will have difficulty telling your eye from your ear. He/She definitely is not a trained optician and won't have a clue what they are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Slaphead View Post
                            Get it done and say nothing to any doctor etc. when doing your medical.There will be no problem with it. I dont know if there is anything in DFRs etc. about it, but from personnel exprience it is not a problem but in fact a massive advantage to the individual.
                            But what if you've already had a number of medicals within the army and were wearing glasses for those? Surely they can just check the results of your previous eye examinations and put 2 and 2 together?

Comment

Won't they notice the difference in your eyesight grades???
                              "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Originally posted by concussion View Post
                                Won't they notice the difference in your eyesight grades???
                                Miracles do happen.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X