Naval weaponry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
    the attractiveness of a RAS ship for overseas commitment work is added to by the fact that while a RAS ship might well end up with a security role, as na grohmiti notes, its unlikely to be be involved in the wholesale killing/maiming of brown people - which will tick the Irish political box with a massive pen...

interesting to note what you get, comparatively: €150m buys a 26,000 ton RAS with 48 bed hospital, 40 ISO containers, flight deck up to Chinook/CH-53 size, a hanger, and 8,000 tons of wet and dry cargo - and it will happily take Phalanx CIWS. or it will by you an up-gunned OPV with no helicopter that is, in anything other than the most permissive military environment, as much use as tits on a fish.
    Add in the increased functionality it could provide for humanitarian operations if Ireland ever expanded to state operations (like for example the Italian's sending their Carrier to Hati), I mean hell if you really wanted (though it hasn't happened in modern times) you could fit Self Defence VLS (Proposed Sea Wolf on the Fort's).

Comment

• Most importantly, you can still do the routine fishery protection duty in the exact same way you currently do it, so long as you use the safe single point RhIB launcher.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
        Most importantly, you can still do the routine fishery protection duty in the exact same way you currently do it, so long as you use the safe single point RhIB launcher.
        Well a RAS hull doing EEZ Fisheries is taking the mick...
        Going off the rotations we have had for the Med, why not divide the fleet into the EEZ OPV's and RAS hulls for out of EEZ operations. Even when something isn't on, I'm sure joint training operations could be arranged with costs covered by partners (or a trade off)

Comment

• EPV?

Comment

• Cant see a 26000 tonner tying up in NBAD.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              EPV?
              Unless you go for something with say Absalon capabilities, an EPV of the type the NS was looking at 10 years ago (MEKO MRV) brings little or nothing to the party for any overseas role beyond Med rescue.

Comment

• somebody help me out please. RAS?

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                  somebody help me out please. RAS?
                  Replenishment At Sea.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                    Unless you go for something with say Absalon capabilities, an EPV of the type the NS was looking at 10 years ago (MEKO MRV) brings little or nothing to the party for any overseas role beyond Med rescue.
                    That's pretty much what I was thinking just now, I admit the idea of a RAS focused Joint operational investment is "unlikely" to the powers that be, but something that is going to be our most expensive and largest single naval investment (as there's only going to be 1), it would need to be something that does have more than just an outsized OPV now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparky42 View Post
                      Replenishment At Sea.
                      RAS sounds like razzzz .
                      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                        somebody help me out please. RAS?
                        The ship's we're talking about are big, fast tankers - floating supply depots for everything a task group needs from deisel through aviation fuel, ammunition, food, vehicles, spare parts and all the rest - they are huge, have unlimited endurance, excellent sea-keeping capabilities, embarked aviation, space for upto 100 embarked troops, can defend themselves and regularly prove their ability to do counter-piracy, counter-terrorism and anti-smuggling duties without support.

They are are also very good at turning up at humanitarian disasters and proving very useful.

They are vastly more capable and useful than a cut-price light Frigate.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                          Cant see a 26000 tonner tying up in NBAD.
                          Of course not, It's dark outside and you live nowhere nearby.
                          You don't need to go as far as 26000 tonnes. You can make a huge capability leap with something like the German Elbe class. In any event, there are exciting plans for extending berthage in Haulbowline that are not constrained by the entrance to the basin.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                            The ship's we're talking about are big, fast tankers - floating supply depots for everything a task group needs from deisel through aviation fuel, ammunition, food, vehicles, spare parts and all the rest - they are huge, have unlimited endurance, excellent sea-keeping capabilities, embarked aviation, space for upto 100 embarked troops, can defend themselves and regularly prove their ability to do counter-piracy, counter-terrorism and anti-smuggling duties without support.

They are are also very good at turning up at humanitarian disasters and proving very useful.

They are vastly more capable and useful than a cut-price light Frigate.

The one in the middle is the German Navy Berlin class Joint Support ship. Canada just bought 2 for $2.6bn. NZ are buying a similar type of these for $493,000,000. Australia and the UK are spending £452,000,000 to get the Koreans to build something similar for them.
                            However, the sensible norwegians are spending £140m on this.

We are a maritime-orientated high-end design house and technical consulting firm. We design. We guide. We protect. We sustain. We train. We transform.
                            Last edited by na grohmiti; 14 January 2017, 01:10.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                              The one in the middle is the German Navy Berlin class Joint Support ship. Canada just bought 2 for $2.6bn. NZ are buying a similar type of these for $493,000,000. Australia and the UK are spending £452,000,000 to get the Koreans to build something similar for them.
                              However, the sensible norwegians are spending £140m on this.
                              Bare in mind the NZ design is meant for Ice operations to support international Antarctica missions so that added a bit to the price tag. I mean the Norwegian hull is based off the same design as the UK one just the "smaller" option I think.

Comment

• So when we buy this tanker/stores vessel what are we going to do with it?

Humanitarian assistance

RAS of fleets that we can't deploy
                                Last edited by DeV; 14 January 2017, 08:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X