Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  36
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Tips, the knowledge thread

A good trick(got this one off a guy in the wing) if you know in advance you are gonna be a mag gunner is to ditch the two ammo pouches and replace them right and left with two utility pouches .Each one will take a 100 rd belt if it is rolled correctly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    A good trick(got this one off a guy in the wing) if you know in advance you are gonna be a mag gunner is to ditch the two ammo pouches and replace them right and left with two utility pouches .Each one will take a 100 rd belt if it is rolled correctly!
    Thats something I did not know.
    Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought everyone did that. I know RDF 2*'s who do that.
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Post Thanks / Like
    fair play

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A slightly more Innapropriate way is cut out the mag dividers in the ammo pouches. Though i wouldn't do it if i'd spent my hard earned cash on them!
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    or were issued them!
    The school of artillery told us it couldn't be done...
    They were wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    A slightly more Innapropriate way is cut out the mag dividers in the ammo pouches. Though i wouldn't do it if i'd spent my hard earned cash on them!

That won't work. The pockets are too small for a 50 round belt.. All you'll end up with is lots of misfeeds.

Post Thanks / Like

the knowledge thread

ok guys , we've been talking about it lets start a knowledge thread . i mean some of us have been around a long time and picked up a few tricks along the way , let give the newbies some useful tips re- kit and equipment NO MATTER HOW OBIVOUS IT MAY SEEM . i'll start the ball rolling.... most of us have a pair of combat tousers that we use for tactics. instead of buying a set of guicci knee pads split the bottom knee in the trousers and put in foam knee pads stitch up no more pulling up knee pads! i did this four years ago no probs... anybody else ? NO SMART ARSES PLEASE
    :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flash bang View Post
    ok guys , we've been talking about it lets start a knowledge thread . i mean some of us have been around a long time and picked up a few tricks along the way , let give the newbies some useful tips re- kit and equipment NO MATTER HOW OBIVOUS IT MAY SEEM . i'll start the ball rolling.... most of us have a pair of combat tousers that we use for tactics. instead of buying a set of guicci knee pads split the bottom knee in the trousers and put in foam knee pads stitch up no more pulling up knee pads! i did this four years ago no probs... anybody else ? NO SMART ARSES PLEASE
    I saw one of the lads who discovered you coul do this when his pants split last year.. He seemed very happy with the idea and it worked for him. I must try it.
    Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
    Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
    do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Post Thanks / Like
    Taking the kneepads out of "snickers" work trousers and fitting them into the combat trousers is quite popular also amongst many.

Post Thanks / Like
    Snickers??? How many wrappers do you need
    Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
    Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
    do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Post Thanks / Like
    A scrim net is used mostly for Camouflage but it is a very handy scarf too.

Coming up next on Fashion In Uniform...................
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Post Thanks / Like
    ok,ye asked so here goes.First lesson helpfull hints for sleeping on the ground( aimed primarily at those soon to be integrated who will probably be issued said kit also usefull to those who have privately purchased)
    1/You get a dpm poncho a basha and a wet suit.If it rains you wear the wet suit ,otherwise you look like batman on patrol.If you need shelter you have a basha.Leave the poncho at home as all it is is extra weight and space gone outta your bergan.You DONT need it.

2/Pre attach short loops of para cord to the corners and mid sections of the basha and long lenghts (open ended) to each apex.You now have means of making a quick " A" frame bivvy for yourself.You dont need to carry bungees (less weight) and you cant loose the cord during a bug out as it is tied to the basha.Also the short loops of cord enable you to stretch the basha furthur thus making it tauter and easier for water to run off.

3/If you get issued the old issue sleeping bag(the arctic one) bin it and buy your own 2-3 season bag.They are way lighter and take up less room in your Bergan.Then ditch the stuff bag it comes in.Keep your sleeping bag inside your bivvy bag.When you set up your bivvy all you have to do is pull out the combo and roll it out.Bivvy set up in seconds.In a bug out just stuff it into your bergan and off you go.No fiddling or rolling involved.
    continues---
    Last edited by apod; 18th April 2009 at 14:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    4/ When not in use store the basha (folded tightly)with seven(in case you lose one) steel tent pegs inside the mess tin pocket on the front of the PLCE Bergan.Why you ask when all the packing lists say to keep it in the rocket pouches or when you have seen some wrapping it around the kipmat? Bashas often get wet during use so why put a wet item back in with dry kit.Keep it separate just dont forget to air it out when you get back to camp as wet basha's go mouldy very quickly.Also by not wrapping it around the kipmat you eliminate the risk of it snagging on branches and thorns thus ripping your waterproof shelter

5/ Never sleep in your wet kit!! Always change into dry kit before you bed down.Change back into wet kit the following day.Dont worry body heat will soon dry them out.Also dont wear smocks or fleeces etc or too much warm kit into your sleeping bag as when you are woken in the middle of the night to do stag your warm kit will give you no benefit.Which leads me to my next point....

6/ If you can afford it,buy a bivvy jacket such as a snugpack that comes with a stuff bag.This replaces the fleece and norgie.(why carry two items when one will do).Then when you get into your doss bag take off the bivvy jkt,stuff it into its stuff bag(always stored in bivvy jkt pocket when not used) and now you have a soft pillow to rest your head. Contd.
    Last edited by apod; 18th April 2009 at 14:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

16. Likes Joshua liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you get up in the morning the FIRST thing you do before all other tasks is to start brewing up(more on this later).Now while your water is brewing away.Start to take down your basha.Then pack away your doss bag /bivvy combo.Leave out your kipmat.You can use this to sit/stand on while you change back into your wet kit thus preventing you getting a foot full of pine needles.When you finish this task pack your roll mat away.
    Roll mat should be secured upright to the tie strips on the front of the bergan with two bungies.Simply run a bungie thru the second tie strip from the top and the second from the bottom.Place the roll mat down and tie offf the bungies in tight knots.Then cut off the excess lengths.Now when you want to get at the mat all you do is slip off the bungies.They are now permanentlly attached so you cant lose them.The advantage of this method is that you can now access your main compartment without the mat rolling away or coming loose(handy in case of unexpected bug out)and you now have room to store a daysack/grab bag under the lid.

On the brewing up subject .Use a metal mug and bin the mess tins.Again why carry two items when one will do?Also a spoon will do to eat with.You dont need the full kfs set .Heard a good one myself recently that suggested using a wooden spoon as it wont make as much noise against the side of you mug when eating.Not sure how hygenic this is though.Anyway enough for now.if any body has a specific question p.m me.
    Last edited by apod; 18th April 2009 at 14:49.

sniper
    Post Thanks / Like
    some good tips apod. keep them coming
    The world steps aside to let any man pass if he knows where he is going

Post Thanks / Like
    good tip about the spoon apod, but plastic is better than wood for hygiene in the field. can be cleaned better with any boiled water left over and bits of old food/dirt don't catch in any little knicks that may be on a wooden spoon.
    The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiqués are belated, insincere, incomplete.....It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure.We are to-day not far from a disaster.

T.E. Lawrence, 2 Aug 1920.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X-RayOne View Post
    good tip about the spoon apod, but plastic is better than wood for hygiene in the field. can be cleaned better with any boiled water left over and bits of old food/dirt don't catch in any little knicks that may be on a wooden spoon.
    Did'nt some university in the UK conduct studies into bacteria on chopping boards recently, and found that pplastic ones were less hygienic than wooden ones because pine chopping boards contained a natural disinfectant, but personnaly i use a stainless steel spoon i stole from the kitchen at home!
    But there's no danger
    It's a professional career
    Though it could be arranged
    With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
    If you're out of luck you're out of work
    We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Post Thanks / Like
    what soldiers are bringing chopping boards into the field

on the saving weight point, cut your kip mat length down cover from your head to knees. less weight, less space taken up.

also a head-over is indispensible. one item can be used as a scarf, hat or balaclava depending how you shape it. saves on carrying two or three items.
    Last edited by X-RayOne; 24th September 2006 at 18:35.
    The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiqués are belated, insincere, incomplete.....It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure.We are to-day not far from a disaster.

T.E. Lawrence, 2 Aug 1920.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alternative to expensive snickers pads in combat trousers is an old kip mat cut up.

Pack your next meal ready to go by packing it with your cooker and mug/mess tin. When you use it, replace it with your next meal.

If you carry a thermos flask - fill it with hot water before you leave barracks - save time brewing up.

If you have one of the smocks with the padded seat, take it out and carry it in your CEMO. Gives you a bit of insulation for the cold ground and you don't have to unroll your whole kip mat (but then again you are carry two items when 1 will do both jobs.)

Post Thanks / Like
    1/You get a dpm poncho a basha and a wet suit.If it rains you wear the wet suit ,otherwise you look like batman on patrol.If you need shelter you have a basha.Leave the poncho at home as all it is is extra weight and space gone outta your bergan.You DONT need it.

2/pre attach short loops of para cord to the corners and mid sections of the basha and long lenghts (open ended) to each apex.You now have means of making a quick A frame bivvy for yourself.You dont need to carry bungies (less weight) and you cant lose the cord during a bug out as it is tied to the basha.P,.s the short loops of cord enable you too stretch the basha furthur thus making it tauter and easier for water to run off.
    I agree with most of what you say except for the above.

First of all, dump the Basha, you have a Poncho. I never use a basha on the ground, Poncho does 2 jobs. Poncho is also lighter and takes up less space than the Basha.

2. With cord, an A frame tent will sag in the middle. While it will look good to start, as moisture etc. (weight) builds up on the poncho/basha, it will sag. Water will begin to collect in the centre and if you are on a long patrol, you will return to find a pool of water where your Bivvy once was. The idea is sound though BUT, replace the cord with Bungees. Take the hook off one end and tie it to the Basha/poncho.

Also, Bungees allow you to loosen the bivvy during the day and lie on the ground. A Bivvy is a VERY straight line. It if remains standing, it is very prominant. It is easy to set up the Bivvy and loosen one bungee. At dusk, you merely put the bungee back up again and the Bivvy returns to its original shape.

Another thing I learned recently. Get some glow in the dark paint or tape and put it on 2 of your tent pegs. Those tent pegs can also be used as arc markers for GPMGs both day & night. If you are not carrying a GPMG, then they double up as tent pegs . There is a very low glow off the paint. Unless you know what you are looking for, you won't see it. But it also allows you to find your bivvy in the middle of the night. As long as you follow the track plan and have a rough idea where your bivvy is, you should get close enough to see the glow.

Battalion Sargeant Major Snacker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

3/if you get issue the old issue sleeping bag(the artic one) bin it and buy your own 2-3 season bag.

You're a wise soldier apod! Nice tips!!

BTW DON'T bin that bag PM me if you need someone to take one off your hands! I'm lookin for a buckshee arctic sleeping bag!
    WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snacker View Post
    BTW DON'T bin that bag
    I've got a better idea: Don't bin it at all, keep it, because the DF may go looking for it, and you'll be billed for it if you've sold/lost it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dig a shallow drainage ditch around your bivi so that rain water runs into it and doesn't go under the bivi and make you wet. Even if you just use the heal of your boot it makes a difference.

27. Likes Cryos liked this post

Thread Information