Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually i just ment a normal razor but anyhow.............

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
      a tip for sleeping on the ground.

if you use a lightweight sleeping bag (2-3 season, snugpak, etc ) get yourself a sleeping bag liner. they simply fit inside your bag and will give extra warmth for cold weather without the extra bulk of an artic or winter bag in your bergan.

sleeping bag liners can be got in loads of different materials, cotton, silk, fleece, etc. depending on how much extra heat you want. and are pretty cheap too.

they will pack up to the size of about an apple if not in your bag already.

they can be thrown in the washing machine and tumble dried also. so if you have to sleep in your boots only the liner is dirty and your bag is still clean.
      I like the idea,and before when the 58 ptn bag was on issue they used to issue a liner with it.They fell outta favour in the b.a as they tend to tangle round you while you sleep.This can cause a snag(pardon the pun)if you get a suprise bug out.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

helpfull hint for those issued magnum boots.Dont lace them like the old bk boot(spiral style)lace them criss cross all the way to the top.Now pull the laces tight so they are both the same lenght oneach side loose.Then tie a knot at the end of each lace.This stops the lace from slipping back thru the speed lace tunnels.Now when you want to put on your boots in a hurry simply pull both laces upwards .Make sure you master the lace lock first.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

apod, if you use a liner in a lightweight sleeping back and want to avoid it tangling around you.

bring liner and sleeping bag down to local alterations shop/tailor. get them to sew 2 loops to the bottom corners of the liner and 2 suitable clips inside the bottom of the bag. costs about 20 quid.

before you go on the ground, put your liner in the bag, clip the liner loops into the clips and then put the lot into your bivvy bag and you're sorted. the loops will prevent the liner twisting around you if you move around when sleeping.

i've also found if you're on the ground in particularly mild weather, usually just the liner in the bivvy bag is warm enough for sleeping in. saves even more space and weight in the bergan.
          Last edited by X-RayOne; 7 October 2006, 19:31.
          An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

I like it .Good idea Dont know how well modifying an issue bag will go down but i will keep it in mind.
            Another trick i was shown is to keep a skip cap and makralon glove liners inside the sleeping bag.You loose 70% of your body heat from your head,so covering it while you sleep is a good idea.I usually pull the cap down over my eyes anyway.

p.s omitted to mention in the packing list that i carry 3 extra 58 ptn waterbottles and a camelbak in addition to my water in my beltkit.Two bottles in the side pouch containing rations.One in daysack.Camelbak is either worn separately/carried in daysack/or under lid of bergan depending ontask.

EDIT May 2010:I have now cut down the amount of water i was carrying.Water ,after Ammo and batteries, is the heaviest thing a soldier can carry in CEMO.Back when i wrote the above i was carrying six litres of water and wondering why i was was bolloxed carrying my Bergen. I now carry one 2.1 Ltr Camelbak in my CELO or Daysack as required and a furthur 1 Ltr 58 Ptn bottle in my rocket pouch with my rations.If i need more i look for a resup.If operating in CBRN kit i would bring another bottle also.
            Last edited by apod; 8 May 2010, 16:03.

Comment

Another handy one put your field dressing into a ziploc bag but along with the actual dressing throw in a pair of surgical gloves and a few assorted plasters/wraps. It all fits nicely into the dressing pocket on the smock and means you don't have to be carrying a FAid pouch to treat minor cuts etc.

Also for those among ya who enjoy that toasty warm sensation when changing into clothes on a cold morning. Throw the T Shirt/jocks/socks etc into the sleeping bag with you when your kipping down so that when you wake up in the morning they are nice and warm!

To stop an onslaught of "The wolf" or inconvenient nether region chaffing don't wear boxers that can ride up and tear the whole off ya when on a long march. I find a pair of legwarmer lycra cycling shorts do the trick nicely as opposed to boxers.

DONT cut seal skinz into fingerless....enough said.
              "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

use your fleece ( or snugpak jacket, whatever you have ) as a pillow in the sleeping bag. throw it on when you get up during night for your stint on sentry or first thing in morning ( if its not a bug out ) while you are brewing up. this will stop you getting the shivers after getting out of the warm bag into the cold forest and best of all the jacket will be warm from lying on it!

if you have to bug out the jacket is left in the bag and is that is just thrown in the bergan as normal, fleeces and snugpaks will compress down no problem when stuffing everything away.
                An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Excuse my culchie ignorance but what exactly is "the wolf".is that some jackeen way of saying"ire"???:confused:

Comment

My guess is that it's to prevent your shorts (aka the wolf) from biting your balls off
                    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Yup, that nasty burning chafey sensation feared by all regardless of the name! The Wolf cause it leaves you howling!

And on the shaving issue I've found the little sachets of shaving gel that you insert into the electric razors (Mine are nicked from the philishave cool skin one) are perfect! They are tiny and alot less hassle than a bar of soap!

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
                        Also for those among ya who enjoy that toasty warm sensation when changing into clothes on a cold morning. Throw the T Shirt/jocks/socks etc into the sleeping bag with you when your kipping down so that when you wake up in the morning they are nice and warm!
                        ONLY if they are dry!

Comment

Hmmm so many little things that one picks up its hard to know where to start...Somethings that come to mind - energy drinks if used very sparingly and at the right times are a very useful boost, probably the only one I've ever felt was any use was Maximuscle Viper - best used for prehydration before something tough or if needs be rapid hydration afterwards....If theres a shit load of sun coming through your scope place a tiny bit of black tape hanging over it - though this shouldnt be done on the range cos it effects your shooting just a tiny bit....If your the scout and you've been sent down a dodgy road in the middle of the night that your suspect about a bit of paracord held trailing close to the ground and held loosely in the left hand while weapon is in the prone position can be useful for giving ya the extra second ya need to find the bastard tripflare....People who use glasses or ESS googles etc should rub them with a small layer of washing up liquid cos it stops them from fogging up....Vaseline is one of the best answers to curing the "wolf" and lasts up til around the 10K mark...Always good advice to have some chocolate or the mint cake in the top right pocket for the boost ya need...Something on the back of the man in front of you's helmet is vital at night - so bring a cheap luminous strip thingy or if allowed drop a small bit of a dead cylome etc on the helmet (don't be overly worried that the enemy will see a half inch square - if he can see that then your ****ed already!)...If your the Gimp man make sure to bring a few stips of cut up rollmat to use as padding for the shoulders - your gonna want it...Pirotin type tablets are useful if ya have hayfever or if you ya have seriously bad nettlestings...also recommend stuff in Boots which is a way better alternative to deep heat etc, cant remember the name but it comes in a grey tube with a green stripe and is a clear gel which rapidly numbs an inflammations which occur from knocks, bumps, falls, twists etc etc - speaking of which, when you get home the best thing to do (crazy as it sounds but believe me it works) is take an ice bath after a warm shower...if your gonna buy a pair of decent boots then give in and buy Mendls and pay the extra fiver at the til (at this point you'll already be in shock at being at being a bloke paying 200 for a pair of shoes anyways so get over it and nod when the big breasted blonde mountain chick asks) and buy the NikWax Wax (not the other lazy bottle stuff - its shite) - the stuff is excellent and way better than polish/dubbin/spit/ronseal at keeping the boots waterproof and going for years...

Comment

The Gel is called Biofreeze. Excellent stuff, use it myself.
                            Once more unto the breach, dear friends

Comment

Yeah I second that, Maxi-Muscle Viper is fantastic stuff! And you can buy it in handy little sachets that means you can carry it out with you and mix it on the ground if you so wish! Nice and handy as you can then mix it to your hydration requirements! Hypotonic Hypertonic or Isotonic just depends on how you mix it up!

On the hayfever thing a handy/cheap way of doing it is to rub vaseline around the inside of your nostrils as it catches some of that nasty pollen!

Comment

Maxi-Muscle Viper, where do you pick that up?
                                Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Working...
                                X