This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Tips, the knowledge thread

A good trick(got this one off a guy in the wing) if you know in advance you are gonna be a mag gunner is to ditch the two ammo pouches and replace them right and left with two utility pouches .Each one will take a 100 rd belt if it is rolled correctly!
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Originally posted by apod View Post
    A good trick(got this one off a guy in the wing) if you know in advance you are gonna be a mag gunner is to ditch the two ammo pouches and replace them right and left with two utility pouches .Each one will take a 100 rd belt if it is rolled correctly!
    Thats something I did not know.
    Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Thought everyone did that. I know RDF 2*'s who do that.
      To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

fair play
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

A slightly more Innapropriate way is cut out the mag dividers in the ammo pouches. Though i wouldn't do it if i'd spent my hard earned cash on them!
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

or were issued them!
            The school of artillery told us it couldn't be done...
            They were wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
              A slightly more Innapropriate way is cut out the mag dividers in the ammo pouches. Though i wouldn't do it if i'd spent my hard earned cash on them!

That won't work. The pockets are too small for a 50 round belt.. All you'll end up with is lots of misfeeds.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

the knowledge thread

ok guys , we've been talking about it lets start a knowledge thread . i mean some of us have been around a long time and picked up a few tricks along the way , let give the newbies some useful tips re- kit and equipment NO MATTER HOW OBIVOUS IT MAY SEEM . i'll start the ball rolling.... most of us have a pair of combat tousers that we use for tactics. instead of buying a set of guicci knee pads split the bottom knee in the trousers and put in foam knee pads stitch up no more pulling up knee pads! i did this four years ago no probs... anybody else ? NO SMART ARSES PLEASE
                :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

Originally posted by flash bang View Post
                  ok guys , we've been talking about it lets start a knowledge thread . i mean some of us have been around a long time and picked up a few tricks along the way , let give the newbies some useful tips re- kit and equipment NO MATTER HOW OBIVOUS IT MAY SEEM . i'll start the ball rolling.... most of us have a pair of combat tousers that we use for tactics. instead of buying a set of guicci knee pads split the bottom knee in the trousers and put in foam knee pads stitch up no more pulling up knee pads! i did this four years ago no probs... anybody else ? NO SMART ARSES PLEASE
                  I saw one of the lads who discovered you coul do this when his pants split last year.. He seemed very happy with the idea and it worked for him. I must try it.
                  Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                  Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                  do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Taking the kneepads out of "snickers" work trousers and fitting them into the combat trousers is quite popular also amongst many.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Snickers??? How many wrappers do you need
                      Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                      Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                      do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

A scrim net is used mostly for Camouflage but it is a very handy scarf too.

Coming up next on Fashion In Uniform...................
                        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

ok,ye asked so here goes.First lesson helpfull hints for sleeping on the ground( aimed primarily at those soon to be integrated who will probably be issued said kit also usefull to those who have privately purchased)
                          1/You get a dpm poncho a basha and a wet suit.If it rains you wear the wet suit ,otherwise you look like batman on patrol.If you need shelter you have a basha.Leave the poncho at home as all it is is extra weight and space gone outta your bergan.You DONT need it.

2/Pre attach short loops of para cord to the corners and mid sections of the basha and long lenghts (open ended) to each apex.You now have means of making a quick " A" frame bivvy for yourself.You dont need to carry bungees (less weight) and you cant loose the cord during a bug out as it is tied to the basha.Also the short loops of cord enable you to stretch the basha furthur thus making it tauter and easier for water to run off.

3/If you get issued the old issue sleeping bag(the arctic one) bin it and buy your own 2-3 season bag.They are way lighter and take up less room in your Bergan.Then ditch the stuff bag it comes in.Keep your sleeping bag inside your bivvy bag.When you set up your bivvy all you have to do is pull out the combo and roll it out.Bivvy set up in seconds.In a bug out just stuff it into your bergan and off you go.No fiddling or rolling involved.
                          continues---
                          Last edited by apod; 18 April 2009, 14:45.

Comment

4/ When not in use store the basha (folded tightly)with seven(in case you lose one) steel tent pegs inside the mess tin pocket on the front of the PLCE Bergan.Why you ask when all the packing lists say to keep it in the rocket pouches or when you have seen some wrapping it around the kipmat? Bashas often get wet during use so why put a wet item back in with dry kit.Keep it separate just dont forget to air it out when you get back to camp as wet basha's go mouldy very quickly.Also by not wrapping it around the kipmat you eliminate the risk of it snagging on branches and thorns thus ripping your waterproof shelter

5/ Never sleep in your wet kit!! Always change into dry kit before you bed down.Change back into wet kit the following day.Dont worry body heat will soon dry them out.Also dont wear smocks or fleeces etc or too much warm kit into your sleeping bag as when you are woken in the middle of the night to do stag your warm kit will give you no benefit.Which leads me to my next point....

6/ If you can afford it,buy a bivvy jacket such as a snugpack that comes with a stuff bag.This replaces the fleece and norgie.(why carry two items when one will do).Then when you get into your doss bag take off the bivvy jkt,stuff it into its stuff bag(always stored in bivvy jkt pocket when not used) and now you have a soft pillow to rest your head. Contd.
                            Last edited by apod; 18 April 2009, 14:47.

Comment

Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                              X