This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needs And Don't Needs

I Have Had Lots Of Money The Past Few Months And Have Got Tons Of Gear In Shops. I Have Irish Dpm Bust Hat, Ziplits For My Boots,lots Of Face Paint, Webbing,those Tablets For Cleaning The Water,have O/green Backpack And Irish Dpm Tactical Back Pack With Build-in 3 Liter Water Bladder And Storage Area For A Rocket Pocket,concenlment Vest,scrim Netting,torch With Red Bulb,2 First Aid Kits. Do I Need All Yes Or No Or More?
    Last edited by snip1; 28 November 2006, 18:29.

Comment

• it's a thin line between irony ...

Do you know I'm not sure if he's extracting the Michael or not ?
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by snip1 View Post
        I Have Had Lots Of Money The Past Few Months And Have Got Tons Of Gear In Shops. I Have Irish Dpm Bust Hat, Ziplits For My Boots,lots Of Face Paint, Webbing,those Tablets For Cleaning The Water,have O/green Backpack And Irish Dpm Tactical Back Pack With Build-in 3 Liter Water Bladder And Storage Area For A Rocket Pocket,concenlment Vest,scrim Netting,torch With Red Bulb,2 First Aid Kits. Do I Need All Yes Or No Or More?
        Not trying to be smart,really,but how old are you?You sound a little over eager!
        P.s I you read any of the posts that started this thread they will tell you everyhting you need to know.:wink:
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I don't even know what half that stuff is.:confused:

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
            Not trying to be smart,really,but how old are you?You sound a little over eager!
            P.s I you read any of the posts that started this thread they will tell you everyhting you need to know.:wink:
            I'M 20, AND ITS REALLY JUST A PAST TIME FOR ME GETTING THE STUFF, BUT SAYING I HAVE IT MIGHT AS WELL US IT, SAYING THAT WHAT ITS FOR ISN'T IT?

Comment

• Ok Mate,maybe i am just getting to be an old cynical bastard but you are coming across as a bit of a walt.I dont intend to insult you and its probably your age showing,than again i probably sounded exactly the same when i was twenty.Your enthusiasm is commendable but you need to reign it in a little bit as you are setting yourself up for some major piss taking by some of the sharks here(For sharks read fish:wink: Sorry couldnt resist )
              Anyway did you do as asked and read the previous posts???

p.s Stop posting in capitals.Use only for emphasis or when appropriate and please read over your pots before posting as some of your posts are incoherrent.Not trying to patronise you just some friendly advice. peace out.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Look, I'll put it simply.

My webbing has ammo, cleaning kit, water & a bit of food. My rank requires me to carry notebooks, maps etc. I have gloves, a compass and a midge-net on my smock. Fairly much everything else goes into my backpack. Other than that I have a few small items like a spoon, penknife and cammo cream
                Backpack is MISSION-SPECIFIC. The army will issue you with enough stuff that you will want to carry the absolute minimum ie, if you are going on the ground for 6 hours, you don't need a sleeping bag. About the only things I carry in my backpack is wetgear and extra water. If I am overnighting, I get issued stuff for that but bring along tent pegs. If out for a few days, I get issued a LOT more stuff. DO NOT make the mistake of bringing what you see on TV - The worst backpack I ever had to carry had almost nothing in it actually belong to me.... it was all issued to me and I had to carry it. If I had brought a lot of my own stuff I would have been unable to move.

An old saying is "Water Water Water, Ammo Ammo Ammo". You will get far with just these essentials. Most anything you need, the army will give it to you except for 1 or 2 small items.

For example, water purification tablets are issued in ration packs - there is no need to buy them.
                What are Ziplets? I been on the ground a lot and I don't know what they are.... says something.
                Back pack & day sack. Also Issued. My daysack cost me €15 in an army surplus shop and has never let me down (Admittedly it was a 2nd hand NI patrol pack)
                What is a "Concealment Vest"?
                Why 2 First aid kits?
                You say elsewhere you have a chestrig. What do you need it for? Sure, Mowag or HeliOps. FIBUA MAYBE. They are handy for a lot of things..... but will you be doing these things anytime soon?
                Last edited by Docman; 29 November 2006, 17:29.

Comment

• As he is cav(judging by his avatar) the Chest rig may be more practical the majority of times, more so than PLCE(which can't be worn if more than 2 people decide to sit in the back of a nissan).

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Ok guys pull the piss out of me. but i'm in the rdf not the rangers and i don't know about any other unit but all we ever get is sh*t gear from about the 60's, its a past time getting all my own stuff anyway. ziplits are zips put on your boots, and i'm cav and the chest rig is perfect for nissan's. over all i like to be able to work on my own steam.

Comment

• I know what ziplets are!!!!

as regarding what kit you have..always beena believer in if you think you need it....have it......
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• A concealment vest?
                        Where do you think we are? I cant see you needing that somehow, and the chances of being allowed walk around like a bush on an exercises by any commander with a bit of sense is pretty slim.
                        Faugh A Ballagh

Comment

• Originally posted by Turncoat View Post
                          A concealment vest?
                          Where do you think we are? I cant see you needing that somehow, and the chances of being allowed walk around like a bush on an exercises by any commander with a bit of sense is pretty slim.
                          I have it for hunting, so f**k it might as well bring it.

Comment

Ok guys pull the piss out of me. but i'm in the rdf not the rangers and i don't know about any other unit but all we ever get is sh*t gear from about the 60's, its a past time getting all my own stuff anyway. ziplits are zips put on your boots, and i'm cav and the chest rig is perfect for nissan's. over all i like to be able to work on my own steam.
                            No one is pulling the piss outta you! So calm down You came on hear looking for advice and then proceeded to gush about all this gucci gear you have.How is buying kit a pastime?What i am trying to say to you is there is no need to rush out to buy loads of kit just cos it looks gucci.Take your time and see what you REALLY need.Then spend a few quid and get it.Nobody can knock you for that!
                            Just out of curiousity how long are you with your unit?

p.s zipits are crap.Nobody in the pdf uses them

Comment

• tbh..I can see where this guy is coming from...he joined just at the end of time when some of the RDF CAV with the PDF recce course..and recce was the thing...and thats how it was being sold at the time....so concealment vests and gucci kit were the trend....

Maybe when some of those who crticise apart from the pod see what was invoved in such a course will see where he is coming from in his own units role they will understand why the guy is so concerned about his kit.

pod i mention you as the exception as you do this for a living and are possibly more in touch with the actual realities of the job...and operate under a slightly different scenario.

Reservists have to take some of the info thats passed on as gospel as they are rarely in touch with the actual live time scenarios....and are often sold a world of shit..where as most ofdeployed pdf guys find out real fast what s possible and whats not

I empathise with some of the guys who are not based or work in real time stuations as they are some times subjected to waltering from above...so on kit issues,,just because guys try..it doesn't mean that they are being silly for the sake of it..its just the chain of information that is available to them
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Got a new tip from a guy i know in a dark green beret re;keeping the inside of your sleeping bag clean.he told me that what he does is to take the waterproof bag that he uses to store his sleeping system in and turn it inside out.If you have to sleep with your boots on the place your feet into it inside your sleeping bag.Also if your pants are wet pull them down around your ankles in the bag and they should be some way dry by morning,also you dont have the discomfort of a wet arse while you try to get some honk.

Comment

Working...
                                X