Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apologies, not meant to be taken as scorpy towards the mods, more as a hint to posters to keep to the thread.
    An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Ok,this thread seems to have died a death lately,anybody got anything constructive to throw in?I've got a bee in my bonnet about reducing the weight of my kit these days.Lftt with cba and ceramics did that for me.I have reduced my cefo down to next to nothing,sure the pouches arent squared off as much as they were but who cares?I now have more space for ammo etc.Ditched the fourth utility pouch from my cefo as i dont need it.Setup is now 2xammo pouch,1x waterbottle,2xutility.Also much easier to make comfortable.
      Waiting to see what the new kit will bring.Combat vest will force many to ditch alot of the crap they lug around in cefo.:wink:

p.s :Question for any of the stateside lads?Got me a yank poncho liner a while back.Handy in bks but never used it on the ground.Have any of ye used one and if so how does it stack up against a 2-3 season sleeping bag in terms of warmth?Specifically in conditions close to irish ones?Good or waste of space?
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Apod, Good for the summer, shite in the winter. Get a zip sewn in and you can convert it to a lightweight blanket............OSOK

Comment

• I have oneof the Poncho liners

I use it in conjunction with a snug pak bag

it is the business
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            I have oneof the Poncho liners

I use it in conjunction with a snug pak bag

it is the business
            thanks folks,keep the opinions coming.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• as mentioned in another thread use a cover for the metal mug to aide boiling time , i made mine from one of those plastic microwave meal containers it does not melt easy to clean cheap, and i do not care if i loose it fold s inside the mug with out cracking loosing shape as a field expiedint use a spicy farmers breakfast foil or the like from your last meal which is stronger then regular thin foil,

replace the metal hooks on bungies with small karibiner clips they provide positive locking , ( very good on webbing ) and remove the sharp hook which can be dangerous when they inevitably go flying though getting hit with anything metal is bad
              "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

• replace the metal hooks on bungies with small karibiner clips
                how ? any pics ?
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  how ? any pics ?
                  Would imagine they'd have to be cut from the hooks, then tied to the karibiners?
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• ill see about pic tomorrow ,, but you take the normal hook out by pushing the elastic part threw and remove the metal band or u could simply cut it off , make a loop in the bungie in which you place the karibiner securing with a new metal band or wire, apply black and nasty,
                    "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

• I'd be wary of the security of that.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Why not cut some of the the hook bit and wrap the rest around the carabiner with a pliers.:wink:
                        Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.sigpic

Comment

• am I the only one who's thinking "snaps back into face" here .... ?
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                            am I the only one who's thinking "snaps back into face" here .... ?
                            No....

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            I'd be wary of the security of that.
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• So you have to go out and buy bungees AND 2 carabiners for each bungee which makes 12 carabiners if you use 6 bungees to make a descent bivvi??

When you could just buy 6 bungees and secure them properly so they dont fly off or if their attached to your beltkit then tighten the ends with a pliers................
                              Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

• Woodies do a very reasonable range in Karabiners with six for a fiver utilising the hook as the attachment seems good.

Would imagine they'd have to be cut from the hooks, then tied to the karibiners
                                Removing the hook altogether and looping the bungie back on itself aand securing it two cable ties...a 'whipping' of sorts to use a nautical term

Althought the potential of get a smack in the forehead as with a carabiner attached kinda sound less painful to loosing an eye to a bungie hook.

I've always had a bungie phobia especially in cold conditions
                                Last edited by hptmurphy; 11 May 2008, 21:03.
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X