Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thats how its done all right except using apiece of wire instead of cable ties . i heard of pdf officer lost an eye few years back to one they can be dangerous especially when over stretched ,, i attach a picture apology's for poor quality .
    Attached Files
    "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

• Originally posted by spudula View Post
      So you have to go out and buy bungees AND 2 carabiners for each bungee which makes 12 carabiners if you use 6 bungees to make a descent bivvi??

When you could just buy 6 bungees and secure them properly so they dont fly off or if their attached to your beltkit then tighten the ends with a pliers................
      6 bungees to put up a bivi?!!!
      What is that for? A full section?

Comment

• I've seen Greyfoxes bivvy...palatial is the word i would use..likes his home comforts.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• The teddy bear is a bit unnecessary though.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Snugpak long sleeved baselayer. Like a thinner version of the norgie except no neck on it (with the thumb holes though) Handy as a lightweight warm top or something to carry in your CEFO / Daysack for emergencies.

Comment

• Originally posted by piper_69 View Post
              6 bungees to put up a bivi?!!!
              What is that for? A full section?

Its all about comfort!!!!

How many do you use?? And please dont tell me you use 2 to make a tent????
              Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

• Sorry I didn't reply sooner, been out of the country.

Actualy we generally only use one style of construction for our bivvies and this need 2 trees, 2 bungees and 2 tent pegs. The bivvie is attached to two trees on your stand to position about 2 or 3 feet off the ground and the other end is pegged to the ground. This way you sleep at your stand to position in the base camp.
                SOP for us.

Comment

• YOU CAN SLEEP AT YOUR STAND TO POSITION?????????

The whole idea of a stand to is to keep you alert for possible compromise!!!!

Your not gonna be very alert in a nice warm, dry sleeping bag are you? Seems to me you'll be more alert if your out in the open in a shell scrape without something like a poncho over you to block out sounds!!!!!

As far as i remember (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) the stand to pos. is supposed to be forward of the main harbour area to act as early warning in the event.

Anyway, back to the basha's. I assume you camoflage them after you put them up??? well, its a lot easier to camo a flat poncho then it is a slanted one. The local foliage tends to stay on them a lot better.

And on that point, when do you put them up and take them down?
                  Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

• The idea is that when you are resting and a stand to is called you don't have to move more than a foot or so. You are already in position. I am not talking about sleeping while on guard.
                    Cammo is not a problem but a flat basha tends to collect water if it rains.
                    Usually put up the bashas just before its too dark to see what we are doing and they come down VERY early in the morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by piper_69 View Post
                      The idea is that when you are resting and a stand to is called you don't have to move more than a foot or so. You are already in position. I am not talking about sleeping while on guard.
                      I think we have our meanings of a stand to position mixed up.

Originally posted by piper_69 View Post
                      Cammo is not a problem but a flat basha tends to collect water if it rains.
                      Not if you use 6 bungees it doesnt!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• TBH I use the same method as piper and have never seen someone do it the flat way because it will collect rain.
                        Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

• id only consider flat one in the summer ,, you need some kind of run off to stop the water pooling and dripping through the fabric is not water tight its water repellent and the issue ones have what apper to be pin hole sized holes in them when viewed in strong light from underneath . but hey if it works for you and your comfortable more power to you .
                          as the bivis should only be up at night i think cammo is less of a priority in design,if im close enough to see a flat one im close enough to see a traditional one .
                          got any pics of a flat one im thinking the bivi stretched between four trees at knee height open at all sides to the wind perhaps with a slight slant ?

Comment

• Thrust me, a properly constructed and camoflaged flat basha with a SLIGHT incline in the middle (thats why theres a bungee point there) is invisible to anyone looking into a forested area.

As long as it comes up to no higher then your knee, your grand.

The problem with heavily slanted basha's is, 1: they cant hold camo. 2: if they cant hold camo. and they get wet, they shine. 3: they look like a tent and are easily visible. 4: and if its a lean to type one, then when u look at it from the open side, it looks like a black hole in the forest.

Comment

• i think most people have worked out why there is a bungie point in the middle , no matter what design you use they should not come up beyond knee height regardless . personally i prefer it coming to the ground on both sides as i don't want a breeze or a gale blowing through but with a bivi bag this is less important .
                              i get what your saying about the cammo they are harder to camouflage with the slant but as they will only be up at night i see it as a less important factor

Comment

• Years ago I gave a lesson on setting up bivvies and showed some different ways of doing it, only to have a senior instructor come up and tell me in no uncertain terms that of the 4 bivvies I had put up the only one that was right was the one I described at the top of the page.
                                As he was a "wing" instructor I wasn't about to argue with him.

And as far as 6 bungees and 6 tent pegs goes, that's about 2 pounds of extra weight.
                                I agree that if you see a sloped basha from the open end it looks like a black hole but as I said they only go up after dark so it's not a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X