Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you get up in the morning the FIRST thing you do before all other tasks is to start brewing up(more on this later).Now while your water is brewing away.Start to take down your basha.Then pack away your doss bag /bivvy combo.Leave out your kipmat.You can use this to sit/stand on while you change back into your wet kit thus preventing you getting a foot full of pine needles.When you finish this task pack your roll mat away.
    Roll mat should be secured upright to the tie strips on the front of the bergan with two bungies.Simply run a bungie thru the second tie strip from the top and the second from the bottom.Place the roll mat down and tie offf the bungies in tight knots.Then cut off the excess lengths.Now when you want to get at the mat all you do is slip off the bungies.They are now permanentlly attached so you cant lose them.The advantage of this method is that you can now access your main compartment without the mat rolling away or coming loose(handy in case of unexpected bug out)and you now have room to store a daysack/grab bag under the lid.

On the brewing up subject .Use a metal mug and bin the mess tins.Again why carry two items when one will do?Also a spoon will do to eat with.You dont need the full kfs set .Heard a good one myself recently that suggested using a wooden spoon as it wont make as much noise against the side of you mug when eating.Not sure how hygenic this is though.Anyway enough for now.if any body has a specific question p.m me.
    Last edited by apod; 18 April 2009, 14:49.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

some good tips apod. keep them coming
      The world steps aside to let any man pass if he knows where he is going

Comment

good tip about the spoon apod, but plastic is better than wood for hygiene in the field. can be cleaned better with any boiled water left over and bits of old food/dirt don't catch in any little knicks that may be on a wooden spoon.
        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
          good tip about the spoon apod, but plastic is better than wood for hygiene in the field. can be cleaned better with any boiled water left over and bits of old food/dirt don't catch in any little knicks that may be on a wooden spoon.
          Did'nt some university in the UK conduct studies into bacteria on chopping boards recently, and found that pplastic ones were less hygienic than wooden ones because pine chopping boards contained a natural disinfectant, but personnaly i use a stainless steel spoon i stole from the kitchen at home!
          But there's no danger
          It's a professional career
          Though it could be arranged
          With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
          If you're out of luck you're out of work
          We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

what soldiers are bringing chopping boards into the field

on the saving weight point, cut your kip mat length down cover from your head to knees. less weight, less space taken up.

also a head-over is indispensible. one item can be used as a scarf, hat or balaclava depending how you shape it. saves on carrying two or three items.
            Last edited by X-RayOne; 24 September 2006, 18:35.
            An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Alternative to expensive snickers pads in combat trousers is an old kip mat cut up.

Pack your next meal ready to go by packing it with your cooker and mug/mess tin. When you use it, replace it with your next meal.

If you carry a thermos flask - fill it with hot water before you leave barracks - save time brewing up.

If you have one of the smocks with the padded seat, take it out and carry it in your CEMO. Gives you a bit of insulation for the cold ground and you don't have to unroll your whole kip mat (but then again you are carry two items when 1 will do both jobs.)

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                1/You get a dpm poncho a basha and a wet suit.If it rains you wear the wet suit ,otherwise you look like batman on patrol.If you need shelter you have a basha.Leave the poncho at home as all it is is extra weight and space gone outta your bergan.You DONT need it.

2/pre attach short loops of para cord to the corners and mid sections of the basha and long lenghts (open ended) to each apex.You now have means of making a quick A frame bivvy for yourself.You dont need to carry bungies (less weight) and you cant lose the cord during a bug out as it is tied to the basha.P,.s the short loops of cord enable you too stretch the basha furthur thus making it tauter and easier for water to run off.
                I agree with most of what you say except for the above.

First of all, dump the Basha, you have a Poncho. I never use a basha on the ground, Poncho does 2 jobs. Poncho is also lighter and takes up less space than the Basha.

2. With cord, an A frame tent will sag in the middle. While it will look good to start, as moisture etc. (weight) builds up on the poncho/basha, it will sag. Water will begin to collect in the centre and if you are on a long patrol, you will return to find a pool of water where your Bivvy once was. The idea is sound though BUT, replace the cord with Bungees. Take the hook off one end and tie it to the Basha/poncho.

Also, Bungees allow you to loosen the bivvy during the day and lie on the ground. A Bivvy is a VERY straight line. It if remains standing, it is very prominant. It is easy to set up the Bivvy and loosen one bungee. At dusk, you merely put the bungee back up again and the Bivvy returns to its original shape.

Another thing I learned recently. Get some glow in the dark paint or tape and put it on 2 of your tent pegs. Those tent pegs can also be used as arc markers for GPMGs both day & night. If you are not carrying a GPMG, then they double up as tent pegs . There is a very low glow off the paint. Unless you know what you are looking for, you won't see it. But it also allows you to find your bivvy in the middle of the night. As long as you follow the track plan and have a rough idea where your bivvy is, you should get close enough to see the glow.

Comment

3/if you get issue the old issue sleeping bag(the artic one) bin it and buy your own 2-3 season bag.

You're a wise soldier apod! Nice tips!!

BTW DON'T bin that bag PM me if you need someone to take one off your hands! I'm lookin for a buckshee arctic sleeping bag!
                  WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snacker View Post
                    BTW DON'T bin that bag
                    I've got a better idea: Don't bin it at all, keep it, because the DF may go looking for it, and you'll be billed for it if you've sold/lost it.

Comment

Dig a shallow drainage ditch around your bivi so that rain water runs into it and doesn't go under the bivi and make you wet. Even if you just use the heal of your boot it makes a difference.

Comment

Get fit before you go on extended excercise!
                        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Good tip about the cyalume and tent pegs Docman.But i am sorry i cant agree with your other points.The poncho is never used as a waterproof by us fulltimers except in Liberia where the waterproofs are too hot.Bashas have been used since 1998 in the PDF cos they are LIGHTER than the poncho and also they dont have an annoying hood to tie off that can possibly let in water.Paracord weighs less than bungies and it is easier to roll up a basha with paracord attached than with bungies.If you tie off the basha cords at the correct tension it will NOT sag(trust me)also it is just as easy to lower the basha during daylight hours by opening the quick release knots and loosening the cord.Not that bashas should be left up at all during daylight.
                          Sometime i will show you how to set up a basha like this Docman and i am sure you will be pleasently surprised.

On the brewing up thing,another trick is to place a boil in the bag meal inside your preheated unbreakable steal flask and fill with boiling water before you go on patrol/leave camp.The meal slowly cooks as you are on the move so that when you get to your destination you pour out the water into a thermal mug for a brew and the cooked meal can than be removed.
                          :biggrin
                          p.s when i said bin it people i meant leave it at home,not actually bin it!!!!!!!!!!! i.e dont **** out the taxpayers property!
                          Last edited by apod; 18 April 2009, 14:51.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

But im sorry i cant agree with your other points.The poncho is never used as a waterproof by us fulltimers except in Liberia where the waterproofs are too hot.Bashas have been used since 1998 in the pdf cos they are LIGHTER than the poncho !
                            Ok, the big difference here may be the fact that I used the US Army Poncho which when folded takes up less space than my fist and weighs nothing. I don't have an issued Poncho so can't compare

Comment

Ok,fair point. I also omitted to mention that the method of making an Apex basha as described is the one i have personally used for years and not once has it sagged and let in water.And to finally put this to bed when i first joined up i used to use the bungie method and it takes much longer to erect and take down than what i do now.
                              Each to their own though
                              Other helpfull hints ?Lets see ?Oh yeah .Keep a handfull of the handy wipes outta the ration packs in a small ziploc bag in the upper left sleeve pocket of the smock for when nature calls.No rummaging in bergans for packets etc.
                              Dont wear the issue dpm shirt under your smock when on the ground.It is made of cotton poplin and is slow to dry.Leave it in the bergan and just wear a driflo (long sleeve or short weather dependant)under the smock.When you get into your basecamp .if you are going nowhere for a while.Remove your sweat soaked smock and driflo and replace with another driflo and dpm shirt(sleeves down!).Now you are dry ,and still in "dpm outer",
                              and your smock/driflo have a chance to dry out.Before you go back out on patrol etc ,change back.
                              Last edited by apod; 18 April 2009, 14:52.

Comment

Never drink out of your own water bottle. When someone starts to drink out of one of theirs pass it out among the rest of the section until its empty. Means theres either full or empty canteens in the section and therefore no sloshing noises when patrolling.

[MOD: IMO does not promote the sharing of waterbottles, it spreads diseases very rapidly]
                                Last edited by Barry; 27 September 2006, 19:38.
                                To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Working...
                                X