Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a platypus/camelbak type item with all the air sucked out will also be silent & wont pass on coldsores (herpes virus) to the entire section
    The school of artillery told us it couldn't be done...
    They were wrong.

Comment

Havoc - that has potential to spread various disease around the entire section and instead of one person being down to the trots you have a whole section. Any medic will tell you that.
      Last edited by DeV; 27 September 2006, 18:49.

Comment

Well then don't share your waterbottle with people with veneral diseases. I've done it for 3 years and never got as much as a sniffle from it.
        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Havoc - that has potential to spread various disease around the entire section and instead of one person being down to the trots you have a whole section. Any medic will tell you that.
          Aye.
          If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

if you cant heat up your rations put them inside your smock better then eating them cold.,
            learn how to tie some different types of knots (also handy for S&M at base camp),
            a secatuers on your webbing is an invaluable piece of equipment ,
            if it is likely to be lost tie it to yourself using those handy knots you have just learned
            "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Keep all your spair clothing in zip lock bags to stop them getting wet
              Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

Ditch the hexi.
                "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
                - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Comment

If you're rich, get one of these: http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Cook.../Personal-(PCS)

Great Outdoors in Dublin do them. Very much worth it. Get the stand (goes onto the bottom of the cylinder to stop it falling over) and pot support (lets you use a metal mug/mess tin instead of the jetboil cup) too.

Comment

i dont know barry about that one.From the pics it looks fairly big.Maybe you can give measurements??
                    Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

You could always use the gas cylinder as an improvised incendry booby trap if it was ever needed!!! LOL - as if
                      Last edited by ZULU; 8 July 2007, 00:28.
                      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

"i dont know barry about that one.From the pics it looks fairly big.Maybe you can give measurements??"

its tall when all set up, if you use the mug that comes with it. but not too bad with a metal 58 pattern style mug.

when its all dis-assembled and stored together you will fit it into a PLCE utility/waterbottle pouch no problem and will also have space in the pouch for your rations meal and some of the other bits and pieces from the ration pack that aren't in your combat jacket i.e. sweets, chocolate.

essentially you will get your cooker, cup, eating utensils and 24 hr rations into one pouch and one jacket pocket!

and it is very fast at brewing up the rations. in a nice sheltered spot you will have a boil in the bag meal and water for a brew after done in less than two minutes from putting it on the flame.

takes regular butane screw on gas cylinders so buy a couple of them and you wont run out.
                        An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                          and it is very fast at brewing up the rations. in a nice sheltered spot you will have a boil in the bag meal and water for a brew after done in less than two minutes from putting it on the flame.
                          While the jetboil is very fast at boiling water, it takes a while for the water to heat the bag. What I do is I put the bag in the jetboil cup, half fill it with water, put the lid on and heat it until it boils. Then turn it off and leave it for 5 minutes or so (sort out some other piece of personal admin while you're waiting). Then turn it back on, bring the water to the boil again (should take less than 30 seconds, since the cup is so well insulated), turn off, take out boil in the bag, and make yourself a cup of tea. Saves you wasting fuel by keeping the water boiling.

As far as fuel goes, I recently took an old fuel canister (100 grams) that was less than half full, and decided to burn it off. I was 40 minutes standing in my back garden watching it burn. You'll easily get 80 minutes out of a 100 g canister, and it boils half a litre of water in 4 minutes max, so a canister lasts a long time.....

EDIT: Oh, and prepare to become the brew bitch if you're ever staying static for any length of time. Especially if there are officers around.
                          Last edited by Barry; 28 September 2006, 19:00.

Comment

When you are going to be active (patrolling, section attack, route march) dress down - T-Shirt / Dryflo top of what ever and smock / shirt (depending on the dress).

When you stop (say back at base camp after stand to) - change any damp clothes (if not planning to go back out for a while) and dress up (add warm clothing).

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              When you are going to be active (patrolling, section attack, route march) dress down - T-Shirt / Dryflo top of what ever and smock / shirt (depending on the dress).

When you stop (say back at base camp after stand to) - change any damp clothes (if not planning to go back out for a while) and dress up (add warm clothing).
                              Thought i already said that?No harm reiterating the point though
                              One thing though.Dont use the issue cotton t-shirts (or any cotton t-shirt )on the ground.All they do is soak up sweat and they take hours to dry out.Dri-flo or similar is the way to go.Keep the cotton t-shirts for bk wear.
                              Another helpfull hint is what to do if your boots(esp goretex ones) get soaked.If you can afford them goretex socks or boot liners are a great idea.Simply change into dry socks,after powdering your feet,and then put on the boot liners .Put the wet boots back on.The heat from the liners will eventually dry the boots out.If you have to go out on patrol though,take off the liners as they will **** your feet up if you march in them!
                              Also if you have to sleep in your boots,a sandbag over each will keep the inside of your doss bag some bit clean.
                              Last edited by apod; 18 April 2009, 14:55.
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Get a large waterproof bag for the inside of your bergen, and in it use mesh bags to keep your stuff in order, ie cloths is one bag, food in another. Another simple one is to use a bungy cord to hold you utility pouches together, it keeps them from bouncing while you run
                                What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X