No announcement yet.

LE Niamh vist to FAR East on TV.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Face it Murf..You too are gettin old....You were running in eithne when I was still trying to talk to girls in secondary school..and I'm ancient!

A good guide is..can you get off with somebody half your age and not be arrested...If the answer is yes..You are over the hill!:D

Consider yourself like a bottle of wine...maturing with age..

While I think of it..not sure..but I think Martin was the first member of the Naval service to actually cross the equator,as he was sitting on the bow at the time(a la Titanic) until the Bosun came along and knocked him from his perch..all this info came from the diary mentioned above..
    Last edited by Goldie fish; 18 January 2003, 02:09.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Purchased a copy of the Book "Asian Enterprise" about the above mentioned cruise today. A nice one for the coffee table,some decent pictures in it. Most entrys in it are written by the crew and those involved in the organisation of the trip.
      Gives a background to the trip,as well as the building of the ship and a list of all crew involved in the trip,including the Junior Class cadets who joined it for the return journey.Among this Group is the son of Naval writer and Historian Lt Cdr Daire Brunicardi(retd).
      Nice to see the family tradition being carried on.
      There are some good drawings of the ship,including cutaways,and nice pics of the Internals of the OTO Melara...and its loading mechanism...
      €20 is a bit steep,some may think,but as a historic book it is a must have..in my opinion

Comment

Comment

Where'd you get the book Goldie, easons?

Comment

Yeah..Pre IMO Store days..

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure the military section at Easons is collecting dust again ever since the IMO Store opened. :D
              "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

hey this thread dissapeared ages ago, how come its back up?

Comment

Magic

Comment

I am reviving this old thread to pay respect to Derek Davis, who died earlier today.
                    He was a good friend to the Defence forces, frequently reporting on Naval Service activities during his early career as a Newscaster, and later on, embedding himself with the crew of L.E. Niamh on her voyage to Asia.
                    He brought a human face to the NS, and introduced the irish viewer to the men and women of the NS in an un-patronising manner. He also introduced the now DCOS, and the people of Ireland to a delicacy known as a "Thousand year old egg", which he consumed. I do not believe this contributed to his early end, but the current DCOS declined it, I believe.
                    He brought maritime matters to the public eye, and not in a lecturing way.

He will be missed, even by the Sharks of Youghal bay, who were frequently the target of his fishermans hook.
                    Unfortunately I cannot find any links to the TV show "Out of the blue" online.

Rest in Peace.
                    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Maybe RTE might broadcast a re run of the Asia Voyage as a tribute to him

Rest In Peace
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                      X