Jadotville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stephen.haugh
    reading the above book and with the benifit of hindsight it is easy to say that if put in that situation that one might have done this ,or might have done that . one could say that thier might have being a little to much trust by the irish towards the mercenarys given that they were handed over to the 'gands' who physically and verbally abused the men to the point were they were terrified and it would be quite right to think that they were only spared being massacered as they were now VIP's ''very important prisnors of katanga '' i think if they had known beforehand what was in store for them they would have prefered to die fighting rather than the other horrible choice of being butchered to death.
    we are going to take that hill , falure is not an option

Comment

What rifle were the men armed with at Jadotville?
      Meh.

Comment

Fn.

Comment

No Brens though right? They had Vickers, IIRC.

I need that damn book. I can't find it on Amazon.
          Meh.

Comment

No, they had Brens, though they may have had a couple of Vickers's

Comment

They had a support platoon.Probably 2 vickers 2 mortars also an armoured car section--2 obsolete Fords.

Comment

They definitially had at least 1 vickers, along with 60 mortars, brens, FNs and an armoured car. I remember reading (I think) that they also had 84mm Carl Gustavs.

Comment

Give this a read. It doesn't go into weaponry but is still a good account.
                  "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
                  - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Comment

Read Mick Whelans book...read Declan Powers book..read some bodies book....

It was a well fought action that was understated in our military history.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                      Read Mick Whelans book...read Declan Powers book..read some bodies book....

It was a well fought action that was understated in our military history.
                      having read mick whelans book, Thats the way i would sum it up to

Comment

The latest book on the subject "Heroes of Jadotville"highlights the following facts.
                        1 /2 Companies 1 Swedish 1 Irish with armour car support withdrew from Jadotvill because the Swedish CO thought the location too risky.
                        2/The above force was on the Orders of McKeown replaced by a single company--A Coy.
                        3/The company was not informed that a major military operation was about to be under taken by the UN.
                        4/The Company was left with no transport
                        5/The Company did not have its main support mortars.
                        6/No attempt was made to keep the lines of communication over the Lufira open.
                        7/The CO of the battalion sent a message to the company i/c accusing him of deserting the men yet that same battalion CO saw fit to delegate the rescue operation to a subordinate.

There appears to have been double standards---the rescue column was not expected to press home its attack on the bridge because of casualties but the company at Jadotville was expected to fight to the last man.
                        The cover up was greatly aided by the fact that after it's tour of duty the company broke up with members dispersing to their various units and the culture in the army at the time was whatever you say say nothing.
                        If there is to be another Easter parade let the surviving heroes of Jadotville head it.

Comment

Ive decided to do Jadotville for my history topic for the leaving. Just wondering what book about Jadotville is the most factual and best timeline and all the rest.
                          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jawalsh View Post
                            Ive decided to do Jadotville for my history topic for the leaving. Just wondering what book about Jadotville is the most factual and best timeline and all the rest.
                            Thanks!
                            Does it not have to based on your own research (as well as items such as books)?

Comment

No, it's the Leaving Cert, not a thesis.

Comment

Does it not have to based on your own research (as well as items such as books)?
                                Well id take any suggestions on where to get info on it because ive found it pretty hard to find stuff on it as it is...

Comment

Working...
                                X