X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by California Tanker View Post
    An outstanding example of superior tank walting can be found here:

Warning. Reading that thread may be hazardous to your sanity.

NTM
    dear god man...why??, I feel the will to live fading..........
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

• Does The Irish Army Need M.B.T.'s

Even thought we are a neutral force,

Do you think we need main battle tanks?

Never invade a country where every man by law, has to own a rifle,
      All secondary class roads can be used as runways,
      And almast all homes have bomb shelters.
      Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ask me, i'll know the answer View Post
        Even thought we are a neutral force,

Do you think we need main battle tanks?
        Personally, I think yes.

But it doesn't fit into the force structure and we lack a lot of the necessary infrastructure in the DF. The only equivalent we have is Scorpions. Problem is that it isn't just a case of buying tanks.... you must have the recovery vehicles, mechanics, ammunition etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• No. But we need proper armour. MBTs are the final step, not the initial step.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Proper armour as defined by the gun, or by weight?
            I guess a CV90120 might do: It has about the same psychological effect as a tank, and if you chuck enough ERA or slat armour on it, should survive anything it's likely to meet in a peackeeping environment.

NTM
            Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

• Found this short video on it. Is the smoke in the video concealment smoke or is it from the exhaust?

Last edited by spider pig; 20 March 2007, 17:33.
              Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

• Some armour vehicles can create a smoke screen by injecting diesel (I think its diesel) into the exhaust.

Comment

• Most Armour Turbines are Multi fuel I think?
                  "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• IMHO no.We dont have the capability to transport them overseas and they are unsuited to alot of the irish terrain.Also as previously stated the expense wouldnt just me the mbts ,but the transporters and support equipment etc.Better of buying more mowags for the infantry and cav,and maybe some other variants for say the artillery etc.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                      Better of buying more mowags for the infantry and cav,and maybe some other variants for say the artillery etc.
                      Agree with that apod- but even if we had enough of anything to equip a full squadron/battery (Possible) or battalion/regiment (waltering moment there- sorry) the big bosses would do as they have always done and split it into 3 (or even 6 if integration is really going to happen) so that nobody feels left out:wink:

Comment

• Jusging by the way the current Fleet of Mowag Piranhas are being utilised, the days of splitting them into three are gone. Instead all are retained centrally and drawn as required by each of the three units. Not everyone(in this peace loving society in which we live) will need to use them at the same time...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                          they are unsuited to alot of the irish terrain.
                          Hmmm Challenger2...Is British Terrain more or less the same as Irish Terrain?

Comment

• No - big thing in the middle called the Bog of Allen!

Comment

• Hmm, unsuitable terrain?
                              Don't think so.In the great scale of things, the Bog of Allen is not very big and tanks can go pretty much anywhere, unless it's very, very soft underfoot.I regard the notion that armour has to stay stuck to the Curragh(and given that the horse fraternity have that place sown up) as a very restrictive mentality.Tanks, even with less mobility than the present generation, have driven on terrain that would put Irish terrain to shame.I'll bet if you gave Cal freedom of movement over here with his M1/2, he could go pretty much where he liked.
                              regards
                              GttC

Comment

• I can just see it now. Taking his relatives on a tour of the ring of kerry in a M1A1
                                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Working...
                                X