Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the unit price for each MOWAG, out of interest? They've got to be nigh on a million each.

NTM
    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

• The were a Million IRĀ£ each in 1999

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by California Tanker View Post
        What was the unit price for each MOWAG, out of interest? They've got to be nigh on a million each.

NTM
        ā‚¬36.5 million for the 15 bought recently, so a little over ā‚¬2 million each.
        The school of artillery told us it couldn't be done...
        They were wrong.

Comment

• Being a transport man I suppose I do not understand much about tank or apc type things but I thought tanks were an attacking vehicle rather than a defence vehicle?
          Without supplies no army is brave.

ā€”Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• Best for of defence being attack just to confuse you even further

eh welcome to the asylum that is IMO btw
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• really would be great if we got some, however i'll hold off on getting excited about MBT's until i'm sitting in the turret of one in a column heading to seize paris with some edith Piaf in my ears

Comment

• Originally posted by luchi View Post
                Being a transport man I suppose I do not understand much about tank or apc type things but I thought tanks were an attacking vehicle rather than a defence vehicle?
                Well, they worked quite well in a defensive role for Israel, and would have done the same for NATO in Western Europe...

Really a tank is a mobile device which permits firepower to be delivered on target. This has both a defensive role, in that it shoots a bit, then relocates to the next defensive position, and an offensive role, in that it shoots a bit, then moves forward to the next position that it can kill things from. In the defense also, a tank's mobility allows it to disrupt enemy attacks by popping up and shooting at them where they don't expect to be shot from.

NTM

Comment

• Not to mention planting it infront of small arms fire for infantry. What was it your guys called them? Security blankets?
                  "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Comment

• I have to agree the need for MBT's in peace keeping etc has clearly been seen over the past few years. Light Infantry forces that have been engaged in peace keeping duties with only light vehicles have soon found themseleves in deep trouble.

The psycological affect of MBT's is great. In my own experience the site of a few MBT's coming over the hill can shake the resolve of the strongest infantry soldier. I think that the Irish Army would benifit greatly from maintaining a small force of MBT's and given the growing move towards a European Army the Irish might be able to train this force on some of the great facilities in Europe

Comment

• Good video.

NTM

Comment

• Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ1seG7MHZU
                          Inflatable tanks? WTF :D

Comment

• Hydropneumatic suspension.

It can lower the overall silhouette making the tank smaller, it can 'kneel', thus increasing the maximum angle of depression without increasing turret roof height, and the 'cant' ability is less of a requirement today, but does make degraded mode gunnery a lot easier.

NTM

Comment

• how stable the gun was during those spins was impressive. California Tanker how does it compare to the abrams in your opinion? the interior did not look dissimiliar to the interior of abrams that ive seen or am i way off?

Comment

• British Army Mowags?

from UK MoD website

"The vehicles that will participate in trials to find designs that offer greater protection for our Armed Forces, as part of the Army's Future Rapid Effect System (FRES), have been selected it was announced .. 7 June 2007. The selected designs are BOXER (ARTEC), Piranha (GD UK) and VBCI (Nexter). The outcome of the trials will be announced by the end of November 2007 when one or more utility vehicle designs will go forward for detailed assessment."

Boxer is the Dutch/German vehicle. (The British were involved in the project but then withdrew.) VBCI is the new French APC.

Comment

Working...
                                X