Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the info mutter, though if i is ever in the market for a tank i'll stick with countries who can fight yanks, brits, gerries, ruskies, eh french...
    But there's no danger
    It's a professional career
    Though it could be arranged
    With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
    If you're out of luck you're out of work
    We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by mutter nutter View Post
      btw we could get some very cheap leo 2s now, the Dutch are selling off surplus ones for less then a million each
      1 Armoured may be interested in them!!!
      Last edited by Barry; 12 October 2006, 23:00.
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

I really do believe that anybody who post a thread as regarding the Irish Army needing or wanting to purchase MBTs should be barred moderated for the period of their natuaral lives.....Such bollocks..its all be done unto death before!
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          I really do believe that anybody who post a thread as regarding the Irish Army needing or wanting to purchase MBTs should be barred moderated for the period of their natuaral lives.....Such bollocks..its all be done unto death before!
          I don't think he said or implied we should get them....curiosity:wink:
          Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

"btw we could get some very cheap leo 2s now, the Dutch are selling off surplus ones for less then a million each"

...but you did..read what you write!
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

with the rolly eyes after it murph, I think it was a joke

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                Murph what is you hang up with MBTs for the PDF:confused:

Comment

Don't go there....again.

We must draw up a list of forbidden topics for IMO, to include such gems as wings, jets, women in the df, tanks and the telescopic sights of certain rifles....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

"Murph what is you hang up with MBTs for the PDF"

Its so far removed from the realms of reality it should be posted on a science fiction thread..we have gotten into so many times before..its not even hypothetical..its shite...

some out there believe its a possibility..we can't mainatin a troop of light recce vehicles never mind MBTs

Comment

agree with you hptmurphy,

this type of "lets have MBTs" thread falls into the talking utter rubbish, fantasy thread a bit like the " lets have Saab Grippen, F-16, etc" threads about the air corps.
                      An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

The F16s and AD thread has already gone down this road as well!..and lets not talk about some of the rubbish proposed in the naval section

Comment

Why the hell did I get credited with starting this walk down Walter Lane?!?!? I didn't suggest we buy them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Odin_ie View Post
                            with the rolly eyes after it murph, I think it was a joke
                            it was.
                            Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

When I was at ATDU, they were telling me about 2.5mil sterling per CR2. The turret replacement programme is going to set them back an additional 2.5mil per tank, basically doubling their costs.

M1 when initially produced in the early 1980s had a driveaway cost of $1mil, plus tax, title and insurance. Current versions clock in at over $4million. FWIW, the M1A1s on my property book are valued at $2.38mil. (That's the price that gets deducte from your pay if you break one). That's almost exactly the per-unit price for a Stryker Infantry Carrier Vehicle today.

The most expensive per-unit tank in the world is, last I checked, Type-90. This isn't so much because of the cost of manufacture, as because of the fact that they deliberately kept a slow rate of production in order to keep the factory in business, instead of pumping them all out at once. Not that it's not filled with gadgets and gizmos either.

As for the TA lad with his very own Chally, that's questionable. The only TA unit that works with tanks is the Royal Wessex Yeomanry. They do not provide full tank crews, instead their function depends on the squadron. For example, the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry (A Squadron) trains turret crew replacements. Gunners and loaders. The Royal Devon Yeomanry (D Squadron)'s job is to train soldiers who can drive any tracked/armoured vehicle in the British inventory, in order to deliver them to the line units. The regiment has sent troops on Telic to integrate into the Regular Army units that were there, and some of them did work on Challenger tanks. I am not aware of any who served as tank commanders, though it's possible, particularly if the TC was taking the day off. When they conduct maneuvers on tracks, they borrow from Regular Army units. They only have Land Rovers in their garages. My information is only a year old, I visited them on exchange for two weeks.

NTM
                              Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Originally posted by California Tanker View Post
                                ....When they conduct maneuvers on tracks, they borrow from Regular Army units. They only have Land Rovers in their garages. My information is only a year old, I visited them on exchange for two weeks.

NTM
                                The spelling lessons are starting to take effect then....
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X