Irish Army Medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Army Medals

Being a Reservist, I, like most Reservists, only normally get 1 medal..... the RDF Service medal. Dealing with other Reservists most of the time, that is usually the only medal you see. But in dealings with PDF, they usually have a plethora of medals for different UN missions.

Now I've been working on trying to figure out what most of these medals mean. The awardees deserve the respect and admiration of all for what they have done, but even Reservists don't know what many of these medals mean.

Thankfully most of the medals are available to be seen on

But I have seen many medals that I can't figure out and don't seem to appear to be UN medals. I was wondering if those in the know could point out what they are.

The most obvious are NATO medals for SFOR, KFOR, ISAF. I have a few attachments here and have questions about them.

Basically are these the ribbons for those missions?
    What is IRSG?
    What is the Sudan medal and why is it not a UN mission?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Docman; 23 October 2006, 16:10.

Another question. I have seen 2 medals for KFOR. Similiar but different, why the differences?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Docman; 23 October 2006, 15:38.

Comment

Cool cant help tough yet i have a question (you'll find i'm full of them). Can the gaisce(it being a state honour) be worn on the uniform???
      Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
      Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
      do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

I dont believe so Happenin, dont know for certain, but i do believe i heard this question being asked before and answered with an abrupt no.

Thread reminds me I must check in with my grandmother and see what medals my Grandfather was awarded..
        Ack ack ack ack ack..Kaboom!! hooray!!!! arrrrrr....
        Pedro lacks political experience

Comment

I'm surprised at you docman.
          ECMM= European Community Monitoring Mission(First EU response in Jugoslavia)
          INTERFET=International Force East timor(Most of those on this mission would have been ARW, after which the UN took over and the operation became known as UNTAET
          IRSG=The Irish Rwanda Support Group consisted of 37 personnel. It commenced in August 1994 where they worked in Goma on the Rwanda-Zaire border for 16 weeks.
          The personnel in question, while seconded to the United Nations High Commission for Refugees, UNHCR, in a civilian capacity, were operating de facto as a military unit under the control of an Irish officer in charge and were at all times subject to military law.
          ISAF=International Security Assistance Force. Ireland is one of the "Partner nations in this NATO mission in Afghanistan
          Sudan=I'm not 100% sure on this one but I do know that at least 1 irish officer was sent to Sudan with an EU observer mission to monitor the ceasefire of the Janjaweed militia.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
            I'm surprised at you docman.
            ECMM= European Community Monitoring Mission(First EU response in Jugoslavia)
            INTERFET=International Force East timor(Most of those on this mission would have been ARW, after which the UN took over and the operation became known as UNTAET
            IRSG=The Irish Rwanda Support Group consisted of 37 personnel. It commenced in August 1994 where they worked in Goma on the Rwanda-Zaire border for 16 weeks.
            The personnel in question, while seconded to the United Nations High Commission for Refugees, UNHCR, in a civilian capacity, were operating de facto as a military unit under the control of an Irish officer in charge and were at all times subject to military law.
            ISAF=International Security Assistance Force. Ireland is one of the "Partner nations in this NATO mission in Afghanistan
            Sudan=I'm not 100% sure on this one but I do know that at least 1 irish officer was sent to Sudan with an EU observer mission to monitor the ceasefire of the Janjaweed militia.
            Hmmmm, I only asked about 1 mission.... IRSG. I know the rest but not sure if these are the correct ribbons for those missions. IRSG doesn't show up as a UN mission.

I actually got IRSG mixed up with UNAMIR. Anyone know what the IRSG medal is?
            Last edited by Docman; 23 October 2006, 16:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
              Another question. I have seen 2 medals for KFOR. Similiar but different, why the differences?

The KFOR mission has changed over the years. Initially it was a transport Company. Currently its an Infantry Group Providing a Mechanised Infantry Company with Support Elements as part of MNTF C.(MultiNational Task Force Centre)

Consider also that some Kosovo troops may be participating with the OSCE- KVM(Kosovo Verification Mission ), or UNMIK(UN Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo )are you sure the other medal was KFOR?
              The ECMM could also include Kosovo

Comment

IRSG is kind of controversial. It appears those who went did not recieve the same benefits as others on overseas missions due to the nature of their role. It was humanitarian aid, but under military law. I'm unsure if it has been sorted out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  Consider also that some Kosovo troops may be participating with the OSCE- KVM(Kosovo Verification Mission ), or UNMIK(UN Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo )are you sure the other medal was KFOR?
                  The ECMM could also include Kosovo
                  I'm working off an An Cosantoir special about UN Missions. It listed individuals and gave pics. I compared their service record to their medals and tried to work out a link. Not great but basically all there is to go on at the mo.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                    One is the article 5 nato medal the other the non article 5 medal.The tpt coys recieved the article 5 medal.We,that is the inf coys recieved the non article 5 one.Not even gonna try to quote what article 5 of the nato charter says as i have just drank a few glasses of red wine(nice )but i am sure goldie will take up the challenge.......
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Comment

A few DF pers have served in an advisory/liaison capacity as part of an ongoing EU civilian-military supporting action to the African Union Mission in Sudan (AMIS II), which is supposed to be keeping the peace in Darfur but woefully underresourced. Some of the DF pers involved have not actually been based in Sudan at all, but in AU HQ in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. One who did serve in Darfur, and who appeared in that capacity in the pages of the Cosantoir/Connect, is Comdt Bernard Markey.

Judging by the colour of the ribbon, I'd imagine that this is neither a UN medal nor an EU medal, but one awarded by the African Union to personnel of all countries who took part in AMIS (the AU uses the Offaly colours).

Further information:

The good news about the IRSG situation is that, since the change to the law over the summer, contingents of the DF can now be despatched for overseas service to carry out humanitarian tasks, without having to volunteer individually for secondment as civilians to UN bodies or NGOs. This does not mean they will automatically qualify for UN medals, as they may not even be in a country which has a UN PKO in it. If the action is as part of an EU operation, they might get an EU medal. Otherwise, any bets that the Irish govt will start striking medals to mark such service?

Comment

I have been told the Gaisce can be worn on the uniform particularly the gold one. I just wear it on my suit, cos to be honest when are the number one's going to worn again, I've worn mine twice in 6 years!

Comment

Try a book called " United Nations medals and Missions...The Medals and Missions of the United mations " by lawerence H Borts....a bit dated as it was published in 1998 but gives an accurate list of medals and missions country by country and mission by mission.

ISN 1-884452-31-0 ...if it is still listed.I got my copy second hand for a tenner...hence I couldn't be arsed arguing some of the finer points of this thread becuase I have the information required to hand..lol
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Infy View Post
                              I have been told the Gaisce can be worn on the uniform particularly the gold one. I just wear it on my suit, cos to be honest when are the number one's going to worn again, I've worn mine twice in 6 years!
                              You have been told wrong - the only none issue items that can be worn on No1s are silver/gold fainne and the pioneer pin.

IMO it should be allowed.

Comment

Working...
                              X