Irish Army Medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeV View Post
    You have been told wrong - the only none issue items that can be worn on No1s are silver/gold fainne and the pioneer pin.
    Might be a stupid question - but what's a Fainne? Never heard of it before. I know it's the Irish for ring ... but ?

edit: just found out - feel free to disregard the question.

On the topic - do we have many Irish speakers on the board? I mean - anyone who speaks the language on a daily(ish) basis. Not just in school or when training.
    Last edited by Sharp_Shooter; 19 November 2006, 19:54.
    "The artillery was my strongest tool. Often it was my only reserve .... I repeatedly said it was more a matter of the infantry supporting the artillery than the artillery supporting the infantry.... I wish I knew the countless times that positions were taken or held due solely to TOT's ...."

Major General R. 0. Barton

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp_Shooter View Post
      Might be a stupid question - but what's a Fainne? Never heard of it before. I know it's the Irish for ring ... but ?

On the topic - do we have many Irish speakers on the board? I mean - anyone who speaks the language on a daily(ish) basis. Not just in school or when training.

See HERE....
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp_Shooter View Post

Fuair mé scoláireacht chun dul go dtí an Gaeltacht san Spidéal, Contae na Gaillimhe
        in míle naoí gcéad ochtó seacht.

It's a while ago, I know, but it was one of the best 3 weeks' hols I've ever had

To answer your question, no, I'm not a Gaelgóir (anyone who speaks the language
        on a daily basis). In fact, the only time I regularly use Irish is on the square

.... Buíon.... AIRE !
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

It's not a stupid question, namely thus: are the "G"s issued by the campa gaeilge valid to be worn on service dress: the COS wears one; it's not a Fáinne?

Comment

Its a Gaelagras qualification

the chimp has to have one
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Parts View Post
              It's not a stupid question, namely thus: are the "G"s issued by the campa gaeilge valid to be worn on service dress: the COS wears one; it's not a Fáinne?
              Parts, I think the "G" badge IS a valid non-military emblem for wear with SD No.1.
              I'm trying to remember which regulation I saw it listed in. I'm pretty certain it was in
              the old DFR R5, but I don't see it in the new one. Might be in DFR A9? Have to have a
              check of this...

Having checked DFR A9 I've found the answer. Short answer is YES, it is a valid non military
              emblem for wear.

Check your PM's, as I'm unsure whether I can publish the relevant section of A9
              on this forum or not....
              Last edited by Truck Driver; 19 November 2006, 20:32.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                Its a Gaelagras qualification

the chimp has to have one
                If only he could speak english, let alone Irish.
                Originally posted by Truck Driver
                Parts, I think the "G" badge IS a valid non-military emblem for wear with SD No.1.
                I'm trying to remember which regulation I saw it listed in. I'm pretty certain it was in
                the old DFR R5, but I don't see it in the new one. Might be in DFR A9? Have to have a
                check of this...

Having checked DFR A9 I've found the answer. Short answer is YES, it is a valid non military
                emblem for wear.

Check your PM's, as I'm unsure whether I can publish the relevant section of A9
                on this forum or not....
                No bother.

Comment

I've a feeling this wasn't issued - it was made for puchase and it is not allowed to be worn on uniform, am I correct?

Comment

I don't know of anyone who was issued it.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      I don't know of anyone who was issued it.
                      It's not issued, I have one myself and it cannot be worn on SD no1, It is a long story why it appeared in the first place and is worn along side official medals on association blazers. I think GOC refers to it in another thread.
                      it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
                      Winston churchill

Comment

the 7th bn assoc.(or some of its members) pushed for a medal to be struck to celebrate 50 years of the fca this was the medal put forward.....it never happened i think there might have been 200 struck and they were going at £50 a piece , you still see the assoc. wearing them at mass and functions. somebody correct me if i'm wrong nice medal though
                        :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

Comment

There are two commerative medals produced by a Retired member of rhe RDF to historically record the 50 Anniversary of the FCA & An Slua Muire
                          He also produced a Millenium medal for both organisations see my earlier thread that has photos of both.

Flash Bang

You are coorrect,Association members wear them in the ONE and some IUNVA and the 7Bn Association.
                          Last edited by goc132; 9 December 2006, 16:31.

Comment

Originally posted by flash bang View Post
                            the 7th bn assoc.(or some of its members) pushed for a medal to be struck to celebrate 50 years of the fca this was the medal put forward.....it never happened i think there might have been 200 struck and they were going at £50 a piece , you still see the assoc. wearing them at mass and functions. somebody correct me if i'm wrong nice medal though
                            Correct, Except for the amount struck (less than 50 I think) and the price was around 30 old pounds (Cost) I will be talking to the person concerned soon and check same
                            it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
                            Winston churchill

Comment

It galls me that people are wearing medals which they have bought not earned whether on SD No 1 or on blazers. These bought medals, worn by members or ex members, give the impression that those wearing same,as they were or are military, have done something to merit wearing them.

They have not.

It's as bad as wearing an FCA service medal when you never put the time in to wear one in the first place, but as Bart would say, thats for another thread or post man.

Comment

Its a lot like wearing a badge from another country for attending a course that you paid for.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X