No announcement yet.

Irish Army Medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These medals are worn to make a point, And while on the subject it galls me to see people wearing gucci army gear from other Countrys not issued to them either, But again perhaps this is been done to drive home a point as well? then perhaps not.

Now I am off to our Coy party and will not be surfacing for some time to come, And of course I will pass on your comments to at least 10 ex members both PDF and RDF with 43yrs service each who all wear these medals
    Last edited by beenthere; 9 December 2006, 20:01.
    it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
    Winston churchill

Comment

Rememberance day in London the some retired servicemen/women wear commemorative medals which are struck by the British Government and sold by the British Legion or privately and the money goes to the support of retired personal but recognises their service in areas that had no official medal struck.I will list them below with prices in sterling i.e.
      1.COLD WAR VICTORY MEDAL GBP £65.00
      In 1995 on the fifth anniversary of the end of the Cold War
      2.THE NATO SERVICE MEDAL GBP £45.00
      THE NATO SERVICE MEDAL is available for veterans and ex-servicemen and women who have served in the regular
      3.THE NORTHERN SERVICE MEDAL is available to all allied and neutral military and civil personnel who have served any time above Latitude Sixty Degrees North 65.00
      4.THE QUEEN'S GOLDEN JUBILEE MEDAL.2002. GBP £32.50
      THE QUEEN'S GOLDEN JUBILEE MEDAL.2002.
      This Magnificent Medal has been produced for all those men and women who have served their county
      5.THE NORTHERN SERVICE MEDAL GBP £65.00
      THE NORTHERN SERVICE MEDAL is available to all allied and neutral military and civil personnel who have served
      6.THE FOREIGN SERVICE MEDAL GBP £45.00
      THE FOREIGN SERVICE MEDAL is available to all qualified British Commonwealth and Allied ex-servicemen and women
      7.THE COMBATANT SERVICE MEDAL. GBP £45.00
      THE COMBATANT SERVICE MEDAL is available to all qualified British Commonwealth and Allied ex-servicemen personnel
      8..THE NATIONAL DEFENCE MEDAL
      GBP £45.00
      THE NATIONAL DEFENCE MEDAL is available to all British Commonwealth and allied ex-servicemen and women,both regular and reserve
      9.THE VOLUNTEER SERVICE MEDAL GBP £45.00
      THE VOLUNTEER SERVICE MEDAL is available to all British Commonwealth and Allied ex-servicemen and women,both rgeular and reserve
      10.THE ARMY SERVICE MEDAL GBP £45.00
      THE ARMY SERVICE MEDAL is available to all qualified British Commonwealth and Allied ex-service personnel.
      11.THE SEA SERVICE MEDAL GBP £45.00
      THE SEA SERVICE MEDAL is available to all British Commonwealth and Allied ex-service personnel
      12.THE AVIATION SERVICE MEDAL. GBP £45.00
      THE AVIATION SERVICE MEDAL is available to all qualified British Commonwealth and Allied ex-service personnel ,
      13.THE ANTARCTIC SERVICE MEDAL. GBP £45.00
      THE ANTARCTIC SERVICE MEDAL is available to all qualified men and women for Antarctic service
      14.THE PRISONERS OF WAR LIBERATION MEDAL. 1939-45 GBP £45.00
      Service Commemoratives is proud to announce the release of a medal from France for former Prisoners of War
      15.THE EASTERN SERVICE MEDAL GBP £29.95
      This superb quality Medal has been designed and struck to commemorate service in the Eastern and Asiatic
      16.THE GENERAL SERVICE CROSS GBP £42.50
      THE GENERAL SERVICE CROSS
      This superb Hallmarked Solid Silver Cross was instituted in 1992 for those men and women
      17.THE MEDAL FOR NATIONAL SERVICE GBP £42.50
      No Official Medal has ever been awarded for National Service.
      This long overdue Hallmarked Solid Silver Commemorative Medal
      18.THE BRITISH ARMY OF THE RHINE MEDAL GBP £42.50
      The British Army of the Rhine Medal has been struck in Hallmarked Solid Silver
      19.THE SUEZ CANAL ZONE MEDAL. GBP £42.50
      THE SUEZ CANAL ZONE MEDAL.
      This Hallmarked Solid Silver Medal is available to Military and Civilian personnel who served in The Suez Canal
      20.THE ACTIVE SERVICE MEDAL GBP £30.00
      THE ACTIVE SERVICE MEDAL
      This superb Medal has been produced for all those men and women

These 20 are all commemorative medals ,but the british dont look down on their servicmen/women. The Irish seem to have a thing about medals,there are many more I could include from Cyprus to Hong Kong to Northern Ireland.
      Last edited by goc132; 9 December 2006, 20:22.

Comment

Cold war wasn't really a victory. I'd call it a draw. At least then you knew where your enemies were.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I am only trying to show that all service is not always recognised and remember the British are the same as the Irish they dont give out too many official medals.

Comment

GOC, most of the medals you refer to above are commerative and are issued to people who took part in various campaigns.
            These people have earned the right to wear those medals.

Here you are attempting to justify the wearing of medals manufactured to celebrate 50 years of the existence of an organisation, not the deeds of a person. The anniversary was celebrated and recognised by the presentation of a certificate or plaque to each unit.

If I was to produce a medal for the 51st anniversary and then the 52nd anniversary ad infinitum then maybe you can see what I am driving at. The medal's mean nothing and are a manifestation of shiny metal syndrome.

What about a medal for all of us who suffered the conditions in The Glen for an eternity, or the sqaulid conditions in Kilbride?

Yes you are right, thats ridiculous.

Comment

I agree joshua but they buy them just like the 50 Anniversary and Millenium medals.
              They record historic times,just like the commemortive medals above there were no Offical Medals for those listed.

Remember the Gardai recieved a Millenium Medal and a 50 anniversary medal and they were official.

Comment

I agree to disagree.

I am still waiting for my 21 year bar to medal after 26 years service (and two years retirement).

I could buy one on E Bay, but to me, it wouldnt be the same as being issued with something which I have earned.

Hurry up and wait....

Comment

Originally posted by goc132 View Post
                  Remember the Gardai recieved a Millenium Medal and a 50 anniversary medal and they were official.
                  I've yet to see a Garda wear the Millenium Medal.
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

if you want to wear any medal just go ahead and wear it

it wont ever mean you earned it

did Idi Amin earn the VC he wore
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by goc132 View Post
                      I agree joshua but they buy them just like the 50 Anniversary and Millenium medals.
                      They record historic times,just like the commemortive medals above there were no Offical Medals for those listed.

No we didn't.
                      Millennium medal is official. Never heard of the 50 year medal. There was no 75th anniversary medal.

Comment

Gardai Medals

See attached the Gardai Golden Jubilee Medal 1072 and the Gardai Millenium Medal which were offically issued.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Jubilee = how many years? anyone..anyone....Bueller? Bueller?

Comment

Golden Jubilee Is 50 Years

Comment

Then there is the special olympics medal

Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations. :wink:
                              - Marcus Aurelius-Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

Comment

Civil Defence Medals

The Civil Defence have four Medals
                                1.Service Medals for 10 & 20 Years
                                2.Special Olympics Medal
                                3.Service in Lourdes Medal
                                4.50 Anniversary Medal (1950-2000 Golden Jubilee)
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X