No announcement yet.

Irish Army Medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone any info on the supply of 7-year medals? Many in our company are waiting for ours, and none seem to be availible.

Comment

Thats rubbish for starters.
      Those responsible just don't bother getting them.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Thats rubbish for starters. Those responsible just don't bother getting them.
        When was the last time your Unit were issued any? Seems to be ten years or so in ours, judging by the lenght of service of those still waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by SAM View Post
          When was the last time your Unit were issued any? Seems to be ten years or so in ours, judging by the lenght of service of those still waiting.

I saw a medal parade in late december 2004.
          Not seen one since as nobody is due one.

Comment

Read Kermit's reply he is dead right ,but your Coy Commander RDF is the man who should insist the PDF Q is doing his job. A Comdt is a Comdt wheather he is PDF or RDF.

Comment

Well in my unit the Q had the medal the month it was due. The Q just needs to do the returns timely and the medal will come.

Has anyone seen anyone wearing the "Military Star" on parade yet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Laoch View Post
                Well in my unit the Q had the medal the month it was due. The Q just needs to do the returns timely and the medal will come.

I saw elvis wearing it on the square on oct 31...

Comment

Isn't the Military Star a posthumous medal?

Comment

Yes the "Military Star" is a posthumous medal

Comment

Well as for service medals my copy of A19 says :
                      PART IV. - AN BONN SEIRBHÍSE (F.C.Á. agus S.M.)

Section I. - General.

Interpretation.

41. In this Part of these Regulations -

the word "member", where used without qualification, means an officer or reservist of An Fórsa Cosanta Áitiúil or An Slua Muirí,

the word "officer", where used without qualification, means an officer of the Reserve of Officers (An Fórsa Cosanta Áitiúil) or an officer of the Reserve of Officers (An Slua Muirí),

the word "reservist" means a man of the Reserve of Men (An Fórsa Cosanta Áitiúil) or a man of the Reserve of Men (An Slua Muirí).

It also has FCA engraved on it; therefore unless I have missed an A19 amendment there's no RDF service medal .except retrospective ones for FCA service.
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I think it's actually an A Admin matter and thus the responsibility of your Orderly Room.

Comment

In october 2005 the FCA/ASM ceased to exist and the production of the new Reserve Medal for the Reserve Defence Force (AR/NSR) was supposed to have been produced. Roll on five years and this October the medal that was supposed to have been made has still not been produced.

Comment

I thought this medal had only been proposed by RDFRA, but ruled out by the minister.

Comment

What would be the point of a Reserve Medal? The green beret on your head and unit flash on your shoulder clearly identifies you as a member of the RDF. A service medal (or lack thereof) indicates your length of service. Medals are supposed to show an achievement or milestone of some sort - being in the RDF lets you wear the uniform. Do we really want to go down the US army route of having a medal/ribbon for putting your socks on and playing nice with the other kids?

Comment

My point above, Barry, was that there is NO service medal for the RDF. Theoretically the old one had to have been retired when the FCA became the RDF [ it even has FCA engraved upon it ]. Does it still say F.C.A on ones issued currently ?
                                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                                X