No announcement yet.

Photos of Irish War Memorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farlee; If you get in touch with me I could get some pictures in Thomastown. What other interesting headstones are you talking about. Drylander

Comment

Originally posted by farlee View Post
      Sorry Hedgehog, I don't have a clearer picture, it was a bright day and a new camera. Maybe someone can take a better photo and post it, there are several other interesting headstones in the graveyard, but the pics I took were not very clear.
      No problems

thanks anyway Mate
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Drylander View Post
        Farlee; If you get in touch with me I could get some pictures in Thomastown. What other interesting headstones are you talking about. Drylander
        Here's a photo of a group of graves in St. Mullins from the rebellion of 1798, unfortunately I can't make out the names, I'm sure there are more like that in the graveyard but I did not have enough time to explore further.

Comment

Commemoration Ceremony

Last edited by Groundhog; 2 November 2007, 19:18.
          sigpic
          Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
          My favourite moment was when the
          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Came across this today. It was in the Waterford News & Star.
            Friday October 12, 2007

Crumbling memorial to Air Corps crash victims to be replaced

THE six-metre high sculpture erected on the Promenade in Tramore, as a memorial to the four airmen who lost their lives when their Air Corps rescue helicopter crash landed in the sand dunes, on July 2, 1999, is to be replaced.

The metal used in the sculpture, which was unveiled by President Mary McAleese in September, 2000 was not of the required standard and some two years ago the rotars fell off as a result of serious corrosion.

Now, the original designer, local man, John O’Connor is understood to be anxious to re-create the monument.

A spokesman for Waterford Co. Council was unable to state, however, where exactly the funding would come from.

Capt. Dave O’Flaherty (30), from Tullamore, Capt. Mick Baker (28), Enniscorthy, Sgt. Pat Mooney (34) of Stamullen, Co. Meath, and Cpl. Niall Byrne (24) Killiney, co.
            Dublin, died when on their way back to WaterfordAirport in dense fog.

They were returning from their maiden rescue mission near Helvick Head when, due to poor visibility, they were unable to land at Water-ford airport and decided to try a coastal approach into Tramore Bay some 4 kilometres away. However, in seeking a safe place to touch down, the helicopter hit a 14m-high dune on the Backstrand and burst into flames, just yards from the haven of the beach.

It was the worst accident in the history of the Air Corps and one of the deficiencies identified by the Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) was the unsuitability of the short-range Dauphin for search and rescue on the Atlantic margin.

The sculpture unveiled back in 2000 by President McAleese was erected as a permanent reminder of the consummate heroism of the four men and their devotion to duty.

It was jointly funded by the people of Tramore and the Department of Defence who contributed £10,000.

It was designed by local artist John O’Connor and was loosely based on elements of the ill-fated helicopter.

Each of the crew members are represented by a rotar blade that sits on top of the sculpture. All differ slightly from each other to reflect the individuality of the men.

The base of the sculpture bears the name and age of the four men and the main inscription gives an account of the accident alongside the crew’s main crest.

Back in 2000 the local fundraising was spearheaded by the then chairman of Tramore Town Commissioners, Michael Flynn along with Tina and Martin Murphy.

Meanwhile, at a meeting of Tramore Town Council, last week, a letter was received from a member of the public who expressed concern over the inappropriateness of children and dogs desecrating the monument.

It was suggested that a railing be put around it to prevent that from happening in the future but members of the Town Council were reminded that the family of the dead airmen had wished the monument and sculpture to be kept open.
            sigpic

Comment

Killenaule, Co. Tipperary.

At this time (probably about the autumn of 1920) I was ‘on the run’ and spent practically all my time with Donovan and some others who were also ‘on the run’ in the 7th. Battalion area. I remember Donovan telling us that he had orders from G.H.Q. to shoot a Lieutenant Litchfield of the British Army who was then stationed in Killenaule, and Donovan in turn gave us orders that if the opportunity ever came our way we were to shoot Litchfield at sight.

On a few occasions we went into Killenaule at night and patrolled the streets there but failed to see Lieutenant Litchfield.

Then on Sunday, 31st. October, 1920, I was present at a meeting which was held at Kennedy’s of Silverfort, about six miles from Killenaule, at which Donovan decided to take a party of us into Killenaule that night. His plan was to fire a few shots at the sentry who patrolled outside the barracks and in this way to lure Lieutenant Litchfield out of the barracks. Amongst those who cycled from Silverfort to Killenaule that night were Tommy Donovan (then as I have said, Commandant of the 7th. Battalion), Sean Hayes, Nicholas Moroney, the late Denis Sadlier, Harry Bushe, Patrick Clancy, Tommy Lee and myself. There were some others whose names I cannot now recall. We were all armed with revolvers. We halted at the creamery just outside Killenaule. Here some Killenaule Volunteers met us and reported that the sentry was on duty outside the barracks. Donovan then sent Patrick Clancy and I into the town to scout around and see if everything was quiet. While we were on this duty we saw two R.I.C. men leave the barracks and go down the street and into O’Connell’s publichouse. The sentry was at that time still outside the barracks. Donovan, who had followed us into the town, also saw the two R.I.C. men enter O’Connell’s and he remarked to Clancy and I, “This makes it easier, we will capture the two policemen and hold them as hostages”. He then sent Tommy Lee and another Volunteer to the rear of the premises with orders not to permit anyone to leave by the back door. Donovan, Clancy and I then went to the front door and knocked. There was some delay about opening the front door. In fact we had to knock long and persistently before it was opened to us. There was no sigh of the two policemen in the shop and a lady who was there said that they had left. We searched the office and tap-room but no sign of them. The lady in charge of the shop shouted and screamed that they had left, that they were not there. Donovan opened the back door and Tommy Lee, who was outside, assured him that no one had left by the back. We tried to calm the lady by telling her that we did not intend to shoot or harm the R.I.C. men, but to no avail. She became so violently hysterical that we abandoned our idea of searching the upstairs portion of the house for them. Returning to the street Donovan said “We will carry out our original plan and fire at the sentry”, but when we went towards the barracks we saw that the sentry had been withdrawn and the barrack door was then closed.
              We moved down the street and when about 100 yards from the barracks stood a few minutes while Donovan considered what our next move should be. What looked to us to be two very drunken British soldiers then came around a corner about 50 yards away from us. They had their arms around each other’s shoulders and were singing “For he’s a jolly good fellow”. They staggered about the street and as they approached us Donovan remarked to me,”Will we hold them up?”, and I replied “What’s the use? They were only two poor drunken soldiers”. Donovan’s remark were the last words he ever spoke, for when the two soldiers were about two yards from us they shed all signs of intoxication and fired point blank at us with revolvers which they had in their hands. They were, in fact, Lieutenant Litchfield himself and a sergeant of his unit. Donovan was hit in the head by the shot, and as he fell he, too, fired and I saw the bullet from his gun break the surface of the road. I was hit by a bullet which entered my right leg just over the knee and emerged near the groin. Clancy was wounded in the arm and back. Both Clancy and I crawled to the opposite side of the street, where we were again fired at, but this time without effect. I next saw Litchfield and his companion catch Donovan by the legs and drag him to the barracks.
              Last edited by Groundhog; 11 November 2007, 20:11.
              sigpic

Comment

Drangan, Co. Tipperary

Pat Clancy is also mentioned in the Killenaule incident above.
                sigpic

Comment

There was an item on RTE last week, still viewable on their website, of a celtic cross restored in Limberg russian cemetery, Die Kirchen, Germany, in memory to the prisoners of war who died there (many Irish included) during WW1.

Comment

This is a link to Dublin City Council research on O'Connell St Monuments
                    [ William Smith O'Brien is there ] and I post since it has pics inside. MS Word doco.

"Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• 1798 Memorial Plaque in Cloyne, Co. Cork

It's situated on a wall in a small carpark opposite the C of I Cathedral.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Clonmult Memorials

There are two memorials in Clonmult. One is in the village in the graveyard next to the church. The other is on the site of the action, actually in the front garden of a house. This memorial stands on teh site of the house where the action took place.

The memorial on the site of the action.

The Memorial in the graveyard.

Details from the graveyard memorial.

A view from the graveyard towards the action site, which is the house in the distance.

Acouple of limks to sites about Clonmult.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Midleton Republican Plot and 1st Cork Brigade Memorial

The Republican Plot in Midleton Cemetery.

The cemetery is next to the Holy Rosary Church. As well as the burials in the plot there is a slab with the names of the brigade's dead on it.

The 1st Cork Brigade Memorial.

sigpic

Comment

• The individual grave markers in the Republican Plot. Most were killed at Clonmult.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Sgt William Cosgrove VC

Cosgrove is buried in Upper Aghada Cemetery under this fine headstone.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Great thread

Just found this thread lads,great work!I don't have a scanner and I am a computer retard so I am unable to post any pics...a shame because I have a few pics of Michael Collins' memorials in Clonakilty and Beal na mBlath!
                                Anyone have any pics they could post up of the 1916 memorial opposite Shannon Rowing club on Sarsefield Bridge,Limerick?(I must have a proper look at it next time I am going into town!)

Something that really drives me up the feckin wall,is the hijacking of memorials/commemorations by those dim-witted arse-a-gons....Sinn Fein..
                                Even worse is the fact that nowadays anyone seen to be taking a keen interest in Irish history,specifically the pursuit of independence etc,is tarred with the same brush as the Shinners..
                                I will see you in the tall grass...

Comment

Working...
                                X