No announcement yet.

Photos of Irish War Memorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is also a monument on the quay in waterford city to all irish men that died for irish freedom just down from the clock tower towards the bridge. There is the republican plot out in ballygunner grave yard, and also the Liam Lynch memorial deep in the comeragh mountians. Have yet to find it but havnt spent much time looking to be honest. There is also Killrosinty where some of the leaders of the west Waterford flying colum are burried in the local grave yard. There is memorials and wreath laying every Easter Sunday at the above.
    The British were met with their own weapons,
    They had gone down into the mire to destroy us and our nation,
    And down after them we had to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta Dawn View Post
      ...and also the Liam Lynch memorial deep in the comeragh mountians. Have yet to find it but havnt spent much time looking to be honest. ...
      That's because you're looking in the wrong mountains. The Liam Lynch memorial is in the Knockmealdowns.
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
        That's because you're looking in the wrong mountains. The Liam Lynch memorial is in the Knockmealdowns.

Ole Cousin Liam.(Grandfathers first cousin). The site of the "ambush" is difficult to find, unless you know what you are looking for, and the weather is with you.
        It is located at N52 15.105 W7 51.449. East of the Vee. The way i usually find it is by turning for the Vee at Clogheen(Co Tipperary), and taking the second left following the valley along until you reach an X shaped crossroads. The site is signposted there, but realistically you require some sort of offroad vehicle to get there, as it is in the middle of some mountainous forestry. If logging is in progress, the forestry tracks can become rutted and difficult.

In the background, the round tower you see in the middle of the trees is the monument.

I am told he was a keen sportsman, and like the rest of the family, Kept Greyhounds for coursing, and the base of the monument is guarded by four stone Greyhounds.

There is no window here. Some say the monument is incomplete.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
          I am told he was a keen sportsman, and like the rest of the family, Kept Greyhounds for coursing, and the base of the monument is guarded by four stone Greyhounds.
          They're supposed to be Irish Wolfhounds. The tower was built in the the 1930s but the four mutts weren't put in place until the 90s.

Lynch wasn't shot in an ambush as such, he was being pursued by National Army troops when he was felled by a bullet. He ordered his comrades to leave him and escape. The soldiers thought they had captured de Valera at first. They carried him fro the hillside to Newcastle which is quite a walk let me tell you and then transported him to Clonmel where he died that evening. He's buried in Kilcrumper cemetery, Fermoy. This Celtic Cross serves as his headstone and also a monument to the East Cork Brigade. Not all the men named on it are buried in the plot.

Last edited by Groundhog; 4 May 2007, 23:14.
          sigpic

Comment

Another interesting fact to note is that there are two largely unconnected commemorations for Liam. One at Kilcrumper(old Cemetary) and the other on the Hillside. In the Past the Free Staters went to Kilcrumper, and the Anti Treatyites went to the mountain. However in tecent years the distinction has become more grey, with the result that family members no longer attend either. Another Past Hero hijacked by those with another agenda.
            It must be said however that while Liam's Death was tragic, and perhaps unnecessary, the civil war as good as ended following his passing, with the rest of the Anti Treaty forces eager to end the conflict, and the uthers unable to continue, due to lack of stores. Liam however had the impression that the Anti Treaty forces were better armed, and were achieving greater success than they actually were. Some contend that his stance was the only thing that kept the conflict going as long as it did.
            One Question you might know Groundhog, Was he Brought to the Hospital in Clonmel or the Barracks?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              One Question you might know Groundhog, Was he Brought to the Hospital in Clonmel or the Barracks?
              He died in St. Joseph's Hospital which is now South Tipp General Hospital. An ex-British soldier from Rivers St, whose name escapes me at the moment, was asked to dress him in a uniform for the laying out.

Just a week before his death the Republican High Command had met in a cottage in the Nire Valley, which is in the Comeragh Mountains. The subject for discussion being whether to call a cease-fire or not. De Valera attended and as far as I can remember, Aiken and Stack were there too. No decision was reached on the matter at that time and the men went their separate ways because the area was heavily patrolled by the National Army. Stack was captured within a few days whilst splitting timber in a nearby farmyard. And we know what happened to Lynch.

The cottage was supposed to be turned into a museum in the 70s or 80s but it was never properly managed. The owner was cranky about people visiting the site and the cottage was demolished a few years back.
              Last edited by Groundhog; 26 March 2007, 00:35.
              sigpic

Comment

Here's a headstone I came across last year in Ardmore, County Waterford. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the man though.

Comment

My great Uncle, one thats forgotten but not by me.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by farlee View Post
                    Here's a headstone I came across last year in Ardmore, County Waterford. I'm afraid I don't know anything about the man though.
                    He was killed by a bomb in Thurles railway station. As far as I can remember he hadjust been released from prison and was travelling home. The local historians say the RIC planted the bomb.
                    sigpic

Comment

He was killed by a bomb in Thurles railway station. As far as I can remember he hadjust been released from prison and was travelling home. The local historians say the RIC planted the bomb.
                      Thanks for that Groundhog, next time I'm home I'll have to take a closer look at some of these memorials, especially the Liam Lynch one, I had never heard about it before.

Comment

There's a fine statue of Commodore John Barry on Wexfords Quay, he is known as the father of the US Navy. I believe the statue was a gift from President Eisenhower. Unfortunately I don't have a photo maybe some other member can get one.
                        http://www.wexfordweb.com/barry.htm

Comment

The link below gives a bit more detail on Hurton and a few interesting stories from Ardmore and Spike Island.

sigpic

Comment

The link below gives a bit more detail on Hurton and a few interesting stories from Ardmore and Spike Island.

http://www.waterfordcountymuseum.org...F61785?lang=en
                            ]

I had seen that article before but never connected "Patsy" Hurton with the Declan Hurton buried in Ardmore. By the way Waterford County Museum's website has got to be one of the best of its kind, its a mine of information.

http://www.waterfordcountymuseum.org.../article/22/1/

Comment

The memorial to the Lusitania at Cobh, the lusitania was torpedoed by U-20 on 7th May 1915 with the loss of 1,198 people.

Comment

Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X