Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like
    Groundhog. Is this gravestone in Thomastown, Looks like it.Cpl. Liam Kelly is a cousin of mine. I was born and raised in Thomastown and from looking at the photo I would say that cross is about 20 yards from my parents grave. I'm ashamed to say I have never seen it. I may be wrong but is Cpl. Kelly buried in Glasnevin. His brother (ex 3rd Bn. ) still lives in Thomastown. I will be in Thomastown tomorrow and will definitely visit the graveyard. A thousand thanks for the pic.

Chief of the Diet Tribe Groundhog's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drylander View Post
    Groundhog. Is this gravestone in Thomastown, Looks like it.Cpl. Liam Kelly is a cousin of mine. I was born and raised in Thomastown and from looking at the photo I would say that cross is about 20 yards from my parents grave. I'm ashamed to say I have never seen it. I may be wrong but is Cpl. Kelly buried in Glasnevin. His brother (ex 3rd Bn. ) still lives in Thomastown. I will be in Thomastown tomorrow and will definitely visit the graveyard. A thousand thanks for the pic.

Yes that headstone is in Thomastown. I assumed that Cpl Kellyw as buried there but I don't actually know. I came across it by chance whilst looking for this one...

Say NO to violence against Women

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Post Thanks / Like
    I discovered this stone in my local churchyard 9 miles outside of Southampton. Quinnell was born in Tralee.

Oct 1914: Officer, Royal Artillery

xx xxx 1915: U/T Pilot, RFC.

10 Jun 1915: Pilot, No 10 Sqn RFC. (BE2c – Netheravon/Western Front)

1 Jun 1916: Flight Commander, No 7 Sqn RFC.

1 Dec 1916: Officer Commanding, No ? (Training) Sqn RFC.

6 Feb 1917: Officer Commanding, No 83 Sqn RFC.

xx Apr 1917: Officer Commanding, No 63 Sqn RFC. (RE8 –Mesopotamia from Aug 1917)

21 Oct 1917: In transit to England

1 Jan 1918: Officer Commanding, No 104 Sqn. (DH9 - Wyton/Andover/IAF)

3 Feb 1919: Officer Commanding, No 26 Sqn.

7 Feb 1919: Officer Commanding, No 49 Sqn.

23 Jul 1919: Officer Commanding, No 22 Sqn. (Bristol F2B –Germany/Ford Junction)

1 Aug 1919: Awarded Permanent Commission as a Major

30 Jan 1920: Officer Commanding, No 60 Sqn. (DH10 – NWF India)

4 Feb 1920: Officer Commanding, No 97 Sqn.

1 Apr 1921: Officer Commanding, No 3 FTS.

30 Jan 1922: Attended School of Naval Co-operation. (Qualified Air Navigation Officer)

15 Jan 1923: Supernumerary, RAF Base Gosport.

1 May 1923: Attended RAF Staff College.

20 Apr 1924: Officer Commanding, No 9 Sqn. (Vimy – Manston)

12 Aug 1924: Air Staff, HQ No 7 Group.

10 Jun 1927: Staff, HQ No 10 Group.

14 Jan 1929: Attended Imperial Defence College.

18 Jan 1930: Air Staff - Operations, HQ Iraq Command.

17 Feb 1931: Supernumerary - non effective (sick), RAF Depot.

2 May 1931: Officer Commanding, School of Naval Co-operation.

1 Nov 1933: SASO, HQ Western Area.

12 Aug 1935: AOC, No 1 Air Defence Group.

14 Jul 1936: AOC, No 6 (Auxiliary) Group.

xx xxx 1939: SASO, Advanced Air Striking Force.

xx Jan 1940: AOC, No 31 (Balloon Barrage) Group.

1 Nov 1942: AOC, No 28 (Training) Group.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some photos taken recently in Saint Mullins, County Carlow, a place thats well worth a visit.

1798 Memorial,

Grave of General Thomas Cloney who fought at the three bullet gate in New Ross during the 1798 rebellion,

James O'Rourke, shot by yeomen, 1798,

Patrick Foley, killed in Ferns, 1798,

Bryan na Stroake Kavanagh who fought with King James army at the battle of the boyne and at Aughrim, 1691,

Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been doing some checking on the two photos in Thomastown. Cpl. Liam Kelly is buried in the CONGO plot in glasnevin. Charles Ambrose I think is buried in Afghanistan or in that region

Post Thanks / Like
    Been doing some checking on the two photos in Thomastown. Cpl. Liam Kelly is buried in the CONGO plot in glasnevin. Charles Ambrose I think is buried in Afghanistan or in that region
    If Ambrose was buried in Afghanistan then the CWGC headstone would be over that grave if it's location was known.

What makes you think he was buried in Afghanistan?

Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't lived in Thomastown for over forty years, so I am working on hearsay. The people I asked about this stone don't know a lot about it and nobody can remember his funeral . Will make further enquiries. One point of interest. Ambrose was surgeon on the SS Princesa. Was this a merchant navy ship and if so why would the CWGC place a headstone over him. I would have thought he would have to be a military person for this to happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't lived in Thomastown for over forty years, so I am working on hearsay. The people I asked about this stone don't know a lot about it and nobody can remember his funeral . Will make further enquiries. One point of interest. Ambrose was surgeon on the SS Princesa. Was this a merchant navy ship and if so why would the CWGC place a headstone over him. I would have thought he would have to be a military person for this to happen.
    If you look at the pic of his headstone you will see the MN at the top meaning Merchant Navy. Members of the Merchant Navy were servicemen and women for the duration of the war. Those who have no graves are commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial. They are also listed on the CWGC Website.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_...sualty=2701625

Since his father was also Charles Ambose, I wonder is HE buried in Afghanistan?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
    Those who have no graves are commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial.
    I have often passed by this memorial, but never had the oppertunity to have a look. All the names as can be seen are engraved onto brass plaques.

Post Thanks / Like
    Farlee

that last grave stone, by chance do you have a clearer picture as I would love to read it

thanks
    "And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak, that we are all that stands between the monsters and the weak."
    Michael Marks

Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like
    Groundhog; Thanks for that info.I will find out more about this grave next time I visit T.Town. The MN on the headstone didn't register with me. It should have. By the way, did these merchant seamen qualify for the war and victory medals same as the army etc.

Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like

Irish War Memorials

Groundhog; Couldn't get any more info on that gravestone for now. However I found this one in a long closed graveyard in Thomastown, directly to the left of the new Garda Station.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, did these merchant seamen qualify for the war and victory medals same as the army etc.
    Yes they did. And the Widow's Penny too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Taken on the grounds of UCC.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WES; 25th January 2008 at 17:35.
    The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
    (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Post Thanks / Like
    Farlee

that last grave stone, by chance do you have a clearer picture as I would love to read it

thanks
    Sorry Hedgehog, I don't have a clearer picture, it was a bright day and a new camera. Maybe someone can take a better photo and post it, there are several other interesting headstones in the graveyard, but the pics I took were not very clear.

Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like
    Farlee; If you get in touch with me I could get some pictures in Thomastown. What other interesting headstones are you talking about. Drylander

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by farlee View Post
    Sorry Hedgehog, I don't have a clearer picture, it was a bright day and a new camera. Maybe someone can take a better photo and post it, there are several other interesting headstones in the graveyard, but the pics I took were not very clear.
    No problems

thanks anyway Mate
    "And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak, that we are all that stands between the monsters and the weak."
    Michael Marks

Post Thanks / Like
    Farlee; If you get in touch with me I could get some pictures in Thomastown. What other interesting headstones are you talking about. Drylander
    Here's a photo of a group of graves in St. Mullins from the rebellion of 1798, unfortunately I can't make out the names, I'm sure there are more like that in the graveyard but I did not have enough time to explore further.

Post Thanks / Like

Commemoration Ceremony

Last edited by Groundhog; 2nd November 2007 at 19:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Came across this today. It was in the Waterford News & Star.
    Friday October 12, 2007

Crumbling memorial to Air Corps crash victims to be replaced

THE six-metre high sculpture erected on the Promenade in Tramore, as a memorial to the four airmen who lost their lives when their Air Corps rescue helicopter crash landed in the sand dunes, on July 2, 1999, is to be replaced.

The metal used in the sculpture, which was unveiled by President Mary McAleese in September, 2000 was not of the required standard and some two years ago the rotars fell off as a result of serious corrosion.

Now, the original designer, local man, John O’Connor is understood to be anxious to re-create the monument.

A spokesman for Waterford Co. Council was unable to state, however, where exactly the funding would come from.

Capt. Dave O’Flaherty (30), from Tullamore, Capt. Mick Baker (28), Enniscorthy, Sgt. Pat Mooney (34) of Stamullen, Co. Meath, and Cpl. Niall Byrne (24) Killiney, co.
    Dublin, died when on their way back to WaterfordAirport in dense fog.

They were returning from their maiden rescue mission near Helvick Head when, due to poor visibility, they were unable to land at Water-ford airport and decided to try a coastal approach into Tramore Bay some 4 kilometres away. However, in seeking a safe place to touch down, the helicopter hit a 14m-high dune on the Backstrand and burst into flames, just yards from the haven of the beach.

It was the worst accident in the history of the Air Corps and one of the deficiencies identified by the Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) was the unsuitability of the short-range Dauphin for search and rescue on the Atlantic margin.

The sculpture unveiled back in 2000 by President McAleese was erected as a permanent reminder of the consummate heroism of the four men and their devotion to duty.

It was jointly funded by the people of Tramore and the Department of Defence who contributed £10,000.

It was designed by local artist John O’Connor and was loosely based on elements of the ill-fated helicopter.

Each of the crew members are represented by a rotar blade that sits on top of the sculpture. All differ slightly from each other to reflect the individuality of the men.

The base of the sculpture bears the name and age of the four men and the main inscription gives an account of the accident alongside the crew’s main crest.

Back in 2000 the local fundraising was spearheaded by the then chairman of Tramore Town Commissioners, Michael Flynn along with Tina and Martin Murphy.

Meanwhile, at a meeting of Tramore Town Council, last week, a letter was received from a member of the public who expressed concern over the inappropriateness of children and dogs desecrating the monument.

It was suggested that a railing be put around it to prevent that from happening in the future but members of the Town Council were reminded that the family of the dead airmen had wished the monument and sculpture to be kept open.

Post Thanks / Like

Killenaule, Co. Tipperary.

At this time (probably about the autumn of 1920) I was ‘on the run’ and spent practically all my time with Donovan and some others who were also ‘on the run’ in the 7th. Battalion area. I remember Donovan telling us that he had orders from G.H.Q. to shoot a Lieutenant Litchfield of the British Army who was then stationed in Killenaule, and Donovan in turn gave us orders that if the opportunity ever came our way we were to shoot Litchfield at sight.

On a few occasions we went into Killenaule at night and patrolled the streets there but failed to see Lieutenant Litchfield.

Then on Sunday, 31st. October, 1920, I was present at a meeting which was held at Kennedy’s of Silverfort, about six miles from Killenaule, at which Donovan decided to take a party of us into Killenaule that night. His plan was to fire a few shots at the sentry who patrolled outside the barracks and in this way to lure Lieutenant Litchfield out of the barracks. Amongst those who cycled from Silverfort to Killenaule that night were Tommy Donovan (then as I have said, Commandant of the 7th. Battalion), Sean Hayes, Nicholas Moroney, the late Denis Sadlier, Harry Bushe, Patrick Clancy, Tommy Lee and myself. There were some others whose names I cannot now recall. We were all armed with revolvers. We halted at the creamery just outside Killenaule. Here some Killenaule Volunteers met us and reported that the sentry was on duty outside the barracks. Donovan then sent Patrick Clancy and I into the town to scout around and see if everything was quiet. While we were on this duty we saw two R.I.C. men leave the barracks and go down the street and into O’Connell’s publichouse. The sentry was at that time still outside the barracks. Donovan, who had followed us into the town, also saw the two R.I.C. men enter O’Connell’s and he remarked to Clancy and I, “This makes it easier, we will capture the two policemen and hold them as hostages”. He then sent Tommy Lee and another Volunteer to the rear of the premises with orders not to permit anyone to leave by the back door. Donovan, Clancy and I then went to the front door and knocked. There was some delay about opening the front door. In fact we had to knock long and persistently before it was opened to us. There was no sigh of the two policemen in the shop and a lady who was there said that they had left. We searched the office and tap-room but no sign of them. The lady in charge of the shop shouted and screamed that they had left, that they were not there. Donovan opened the back door and Tommy Lee, who was outside, assured him that no one had left by the back. We tried to calm the lady by telling her that we did not intend to shoot or harm the R.I.C. men, but to no avail. She became so violently hysterical that we abandoned our idea of searching the upstairs portion of the house for them. Returning to the street Donovan said “We will carry out our original plan and fire at the sentry”, but when we went towards the barracks we saw that the sentry had been withdrawn and the barrack door was then closed.
    We moved down the street and when about 100 yards from the barracks stood a few minutes while Donovan considered what our next move should be. What looked to us to be two very drunken British soldiers then came around a corner about 50 yards away from us. They had their arms around each other’s shoulders and were singing “For he’s a jolly good fellow”. They staggered about the street and as they approached us Donovan remarked to me,”Will we hold them up?”, and I replied “What’s the use? They were only two poor drunken soldiers”. Donovan’s remark were the last words he ever spoke, for when the two soldiers were about two yards from us they shed all signs of intoxication and fired point blank at us with revolvers which they had in their hands. They were, in fact, Lieutenant Litchfield himself and a sergeant of his unit. Donovan was hit in the head by the shot, and as he fell he, too, fired and I saw the bullet from his gun break the surface of the road. I was hit by a bullet which entered my right leg just over the knee and emerged near the groin. Clancy was wounded in the arm and back. Both Clancy and I crawled to the opposite side of the street, where we were again fired at, but this time without effect. I next saw Litchfield and his companion catch Donovan by the legs and drag him to the barracks.
    Last edited by Groundhog; 11th November 2007 at 20:11.

Post Thanks / Like

Drangan, Co. Tipperary

Pat Clancy is also mentioned in the Killenaule incident above.

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was an item on RTE last week, still viewable on their website, of a celtic cross restored in Limberg russian cemetery, Die Kirchen, Germany, in memory to the prisoners of war who died there (many Irish included) during WW1.

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a link to Dublin City Council research on O'Connell St Monuments
    [ William Smith O'Brien is there ] and I post since it has pics inside. MS Word doco.

http://www.dublincity.ie/Images/O%27...cm35-10452.doc
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    1798 Memorial Plaque in Cloyne, Co. Cork

It's situated on a wall in a small carpark opposite the C of I Cathedral.

Thread Information