No announcement yet.

UAV for the new OPV's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll eat my hat when a kite manages to pull a few thousand tons of steel and saves fuel in the process.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
      Yep and that article is from 2014 - haven't seen any pictures or reports of trials as of yet.

Comment

Cheers, a land based stationary demo - that's what I meant.

Comment

I know but that's all I have to offer

Comment

Maritime innovations

Originally posted by pym View Post
            Cheers, a land based stationary demo - that's what I meant.
            There is a long way between laboratory theory, and display testing, with real time use at sea. Such systems will be very much subject to weather conditions and the breaking strain of the launch wire and the capacity of the winch to reel it in in a sudden squall. the weather at 300m is often different to sea level conditions. Have any of the frontline Navies tried it or do they prefer Blimps and MPA's with the Mark 1 eyeball.

Comment

I don't that at all - which makes the turnaround time in the DARPA project all the more impressive.

The variable of course is the funding.

Comment

few more articles from around june / jily that i found and a discussion on reddit which i havent bothered reading.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/h...osts-1.2296224

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...ites-1.2297873

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/com...g_fuel_saving/
                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Sea stories

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                  few more articles from around june / jily that i found and a discussion on reddit which i havent bothered reading.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/h...osts-1.2296224

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...ites-1.2297873

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/com...g_fuel_saving/
                  This sail away story is detracting from various uses of sails. The usual visual horizon, stated by The Irish Times, is not ever 200 miles.According to my Tables the sea horizon at 10 metres, height of eye is 6.57 miles away, and at 300 metres is 36.02 miles away. Seeing 3000 miles away is poppycock giving the curvature of mother Earth. The articles in general are an offence to genuine research and are in the same category as Turlough Hill electricity generation. There are NO free lunches.

Comment

It's been a while but an interesting article on something the DARPA is working on:
                    NavyRecognition reports DARPA is working on a system that will launch and recover drones of up to 900 pounds that will fit inside a standard 20 foot container. These could easily handle the Scan Ea…

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                      I'll eat my hat when a kite manages to pull a few thousand tons of steel and saves fuel in the process.
                      Enjoy! http://www.skysails.info/english/ Want some mustard with that?

Comment

They're not pulling much mustard in one tech demonstrator, for such a world saving technology it's odd they've transitioned to flogging performance management software for non kitey ships. I can't find any recent news about the project either.
                        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                          They're not pulling much mustard in one tech demonstrator, for such a world saving technology it's odd they've transitioned to flogging performance management software for non kitey ships. I can't find any recent news about the project either.

all this Kite stuff is a long way from UAV's, which at least are controllable and can do specific observational or interdiction tasks. Kites will only work if the wind suits the direction in which the ship wishes to travel. The idea of kite sails on ships has a certain merit but also introduces hazards and inconveniences that add to the shipboard burdens for crews.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post

all this Kite stuff is a long way from UAV's, which at least are controllable and can do specific observational or interdiction tasks. Kites will only work if the wind suits the direction in which the ship wishes to travel. The idea of kite sails on ships has a certain merit but also introduces hazards and inconveniences that add to the shipboard burdens for crews.
                            It's mooted use as a sensor platform within the NS is also dubious, as you would end up with an expensive system with certain weather limitations that is usable only some of the time. The technical aspect of sensor integration is mind boggling to say the least.These kites fly figure of eight patterns to stay in the sky. The processing capability needed to come up with any usable information from a kite mounted array is huge.

If you need better situational awareness and on board systems are insufficient, build the ships with aviation capability. Simply put there are no vessels anywhere near the size of the P60 worldwide being built without a flightdeck and hangar. A kite is not the answer.

Then there is the absolute ridiculousness of an overt kite on a supposedly covert platform. It's going to light up on even the most basic radar. The function of a NS vessel is not to save fuel. The cynic in me wonders if given the long lead time for this project, that this is all just an effort to be seen to be proactive about cost saving.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                              It's mooted use as a sensor platform within the NS is also dubious, as you would end up with an expensive system with certain weather limitations that is usable only some of the time. The technical aspect of sensor integration is mind boggling to say the least.These kites fly figure of eight patterns to stay in the sky. The processing capability needed to come up with any usable information from a kite mounted array is huge.

If you need better situational awareness and on board systems are insufficient, build the ships with aviation capability. Simply put there are no vessels anywhere near the size of the P60 worldwide being built without a flightdeck and hangar. A kite is not the answer.

Then there is the absolute ridiculousness of an overt kite on a supposedly covert platform. It's going to light up on even the most basic radar. The function of a NS vessel is not to save fuel. The cynic in me wonders if given the long lead time for this project, that this is all just an effort to be seen to be proactive about cost saving.
                              It's an R&D job

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                It's an R&D job

The bottom line for all Naval packages aboard ship is that the derivation of New concepts should come from Naval Sources, or it's allied industries. Such improvements should make the equipped vessel a better fighting platform. We can help out Marine Industry in certain projects but remember we are NOT an adjunct of Industry or it's R&D. There are many out there think the Naval Service is a free platform for their projects.

Comment

Working...
                                X