No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was one of the things lost when Cadres were removed from units. They weren't perfect , far from it, we were luck to have an excellent cadre who did a good job and trained people to do their job from the RDF.
    this is nothing to do with that ; for years many units RDF personnel did all the recruit admin and all the cadre did was lose the forms on someones desk in Bde HQ
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• My cadre were excellent but they were also very good in another way

We had to admin the Coy, that is the Coy (and Pln) staffs job. So we did the strength returns, enlistments, discharges, ration indents, field day applications, etc etc

They did the harder job of actually making sure everything went in and was actually done. It was actually great preparation for the situation I’m in now where there is no cadre. If the people your admining need something you do it yourself (and copy your PDF contacts so that they are aware of it that (a) they know it’s boxed off (b) if they get a call they know the score

Comment

• Where the system does fall down is some of the personnel admin. There would be a very good case to be made for an additional PDF Admin Clerk at unit level

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
          The entry requirements for a commission are the same.

There is a section in R5 27(2)(b) "A person (including a reservist) who is in possession of a university degree or
          diploma or an equivalent qualification, or who possesses other special qualifications of military value, may, subject to the existence of a vacancy in Establishments for which his particular qualifications are appropriate, be nominated to be appointed to be an officer of the Reserve Defence Force" This allows for the DF to commission someone between 35 and 45 if they have a skill that is deemed to be of military use. Also a strict interpretation of this would mean that anyone with a degree can get a commission up to 45. This is rarely used outside of medical and engineering degrees.
          So what would be the rare instance that there would be a reserve officer commissioned outside of having a medical or engineering degree? Degrees are far more commonplace asset for the modern reservist when compared to the time the legislation was enacted (statistics that would be interesting to see).

A logistics, administration or business degree could potentially be seen as having a military value especially in staff roles. You could potentially go very broad with the above section.

Comment

• I would say that you would almost have to be head hunted specifically for the skills you have and the reserve used as a vehicle to get you into the DF. Otherwise you would need some significant supporters who could argue your case.

Comment

• Logs/SCM could be

Comment

• I'm also thinking that someone who is qualified to stand a watch on a ship could be useful to the NSR and would be similarly entitled to a direct commission like an engineer or medical professional.

Comment

• Our sole Military Judge was a reservist and commissioned straight into the PDF.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• A certain Surgeon a few years back commissioned into the RDF and served as the MO to a certain unit in the DFTC.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                      A certain Surgeon a few years back commissioned into the RDF and served as the MO to a certain unit in the DFTC.
                      That certain unit once sent a Alouette to pick up an RDF Sgt (who is an AP) from the Glen to assist in their training, he also had other Mil skills

Comment

• The latest RDF DE officer I know of is a vastly experienced consultant military clinical psychologist

Comment

• Have there ever been RDF direct entry officers into CIS? I would have thought that the powers that be would be falling over themselves to recruit tech-savvy graduates...

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                            Our sole Military Judge was a reservist and commissioned straight into the PDF.
                            A reservist commissioned officer, moreover, and one whom I’ve never heard anything bad said about in three decades. I can also confidently guess who the ‘reservist Sgt. with AP skills’ is. Have yet to encounter our new psychologist officer in the flesh, so will hold opinions till then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Audax View Post
                              Have there ever been RDF direct entry officers into CIS? I would have thought that the powers that be would be falling over themselves to recruit tech-savvy graduates...
                              not that I’m aware of

Originally posted by DaithiDub View Post
                              Have yet to encounter our new psychologist officer in the flesh, so will hold opinions till then.
                              friendly man, hope I’m never in a position to avail of his services but he is vastly experienced in military psychology with international militaries.

Comment

• [QUOTE]
                                Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                not that I’m aware of
                                There were people promoted specifically to fill appointments in CIS and a member here, now a captain, was poached from BTC to CIS , specifically for his skillset.

It does happen , just goes unnoticed outside most units.
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X